gomg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm doing a case study for a tectonic event in a LEDC, I have one about an earthquake in Turkey but don't know whether it's LEDC.

Or if it's a NIC/MEDC now, was Turkey a LEDC in 2011? Please give reasons

Thanks
dathtom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very tricky. I wouldn't call at MEDC or an LEDC. It's similar to china/india/eastern europe in terms of classification. It depends on your exam, if it's for GCSE it will probably be allright, if it's for something more advanced it would be best to check with your teacher or go for an easier option. I know for GCSE the sichuan earthquake in China is classed as a LEDC earthquake.

Tom
gomg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by dathtom)
Very tricky. I wouldn't call at MEDC or an LEDC. It's similar to china/india/eastern europe in terms of classification. It depends on your exam, if it's for GCSE it will probably be allright, if it's for something more advanced it would be best to check with your teacher or go for an easier option. I know for GCSE the sichuan earthquake in China is classed as a LEDC earthquake.

Tom
Yep its for OCR GCSE, thank you very much
uthred50
Badges: 16
Report 6 years ago
LEDC and MEDC descriptors have always been vague and difficult to define, such that they are pretty much out of favour in academia today. However, Turkey is in the top 20 largest economies worldwide, is a member of G20, and is growing very rapidly economically - you could call it a 'developing economy' in more modern terminology, but I wouldn't call it an LEDC.

It's worth checking to see what your teacher thinks, as I don't know how strict the spec. is at GCSE.

If you're looking for a more clear-cut LEDC example, you could use the 2010 Haiti earthquake

Uth
willowandrew
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i wouldnt used this this web site its crap and the info is all wrong i failed mu gces coz of it
all the best Bigeater
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?