Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a case study for a tectonic event in a LEDC, I have one about an earthquake in Turkey but don't know whether it's LEDC.

Or if it's a NIC/MEDC now, was Turkey a LEDC in 2011? Please give reasons

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Very tricky. I wouldn't call at MEDC or an LEDC. It's similar to china/india/eastern europe in terms of classification. It depends on your exam, if it's for GCSE it will probably be allright, if it's for something more advanced it would be best to check with your teacher or go for an easier option. I know for GCSE the sichuan earthquake in China is classed as a LEDC earthquake.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Very tricky. I wouldn't call at MEDC or an LEDC. It's similar to china/india/eastern europe in terms of classification. It depends on your exam, if it's for GCSE it will probably be allright, if it's for something more advanced it would be best to check with your teacher or go for an easier option. I know for GCSE the sichuan earthquake in China is classed as a LEDC earthquake.

Tom
    Yep its for OCR GCSE, thank you very much

LEDC and MEDC descriptors have always been vague and difficult to define, such that they are pretty much out of favour in academia today. However, Turkey is in the top 20 largest economies worldwide, is a member of G20, and is growing very rapidly economically - you could call it a 'developing economy' in more modern terminology, but I wouldn't call it an LEDC.

It's worth checking to see what your teacher thinks, as I don't know how strict the spec. is at GCSE.

If you're looking for a more clear-cut LEDC example, you could use the 2010 Haiti earthquake

Uth

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt used this this web site its crap and the info is all wrong i failed mu gces coz of it
    all the best Bigeater

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.