Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think that this story is quite interesting. A reddit user recently created a "confession bear" meme that confessed to murder. Reaction to the post was split, as some users were unsure as to whether it was true or not. Some users hacked/obtained the users details and they were posted online, with some users apparently saying that they would pass his details on to the FBI. The guy then backtracked and said it was a joke.

I think that this raises several issues. Previously Reddit users wanted to protect the privacy of their users, even if the posts were legally questionable or straight-out illegal.

Do you think that it was right to hack this persons details and post them online?

Isn't this hypocritical of a userbase that previous defended the rights of users that posted illegal or morally wrong material(Jailbait)?

Source:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...onfession.html

http://gawker.com/5994059/redditor-u...and-disappears

http://gawker.com/5994213/is-this-th...ers-abusive-ex
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Well, it certainly breaks Reddit unwritten rule #1. It depends how deeply convicted people are to that ideal of ultimate online privacy - given that he is potentially a murderer, it might sway people. On the other hand, there was a significant camp protecting the privacy of the Reddit troll (I forget his name) who was involved in all sorts of highly questionable behaviour, such as taking 'creepshots' of women and posting them online, and lost his job when his identity was revealed. The same people might back the privacy of this guy.

I think that the Reddit community is, on the whole, split. You have the hardcore techno-libertarians on the one side, and on the other the generally-liberal types with a more pragmatic approach working on degrees of acceptability rather than black and white categorisations of it.

Personally, I am not against the publishing of his identity - if you claim to members of the public that you are guilty of murder, there is no reason to think you should be immune from investigation.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say "yes, of course it's right", but then I reconsidered. For the hackers to forward the info onto the police is indeed commendable, but to release into the public domain is not.

I don't agree with vigilante 'justice', but how do they even know they've got the right guy?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.