Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stupid things about motorcycles. Watch

ReputationRep:
    After being on a motorbike it's like there are lots of little annoying things that could be taken care of.
    Basic equipment is lacking on some bikes like hand guards to stop cold hands or mudguards that fully guard against mud flinging onto engine or suspension parts.
    One that I find particularly annoying is that fact that you're sitting on what essentially is a big heater with wheels yet all that nice warmth is being thrown away while your hands and other assorted body parts get frozen.
    Couldn't some of that heat get pumped somewhere useful?

Price is another one because motorcycles in this country are seen as luxury items they come with silly prices.

For the cost of a BMW touring bike like this,

you could get a new Ford Mondeo like this,
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    "Hand guards", you mean, like gloves? :rolleyes:

You can pick up decent bikes (and more to the point, insure them) cheaper than a car normally. If you're looking at BMWs then obviously they're gonna be expensive, it's an expensive brand.

If it's cold then wear warm clothes, simple enough TBH. There's little the bike could heat other than your arse even if it did pump heat round, so there's probably not much point in doing so. You can buy heated grips for motorbikes btw.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can buy heated handlebars, and you can definitely get heated gloves.

Many people don't ride their bike in the cold or bad weather though, so it's probably not a requirement for them. If you bought a bike in Alaska then it would probably be a different story entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    "Hand guards", you mean, like gloves? :rolleyes:
    No not gloves which get cold unless they're special heated ones like SillyEddy mentioned.

You can pick up decent bikes (and more to the point, insure them) cheaper than a car normally. If you're looking at BMWs then obviously they're gonna be expensive, it's an expensive brand.
    I chose those as examples of mileage munchers, similar bikes are the same price give or take a couple of grand.

If it's cold then wear warm clothes, simple enough TBH. There's little the bike could heat other than your arse even if it did pump heat round, so there's probably not much point in doing so. You can buy heated grips for motorbikes btw.
    Put on more clothes? Do you mean like this guy?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Coffinman)
    No not gloves which get cold unless they're special heated ones like SillyEddy mentioned.
    Gloves will do a lot better at keeping your hands warm (and attached to the rest of your body) than "handguards" would. As has been mentioned you can also get heated grips, so I don't really understand what you're complaining about.

I chose those as examples of mileage munchers, similar bikes are the same price give or take a couple of grand.
    Direcly comparing cars to bikes doesn't work really. There are plenty of cheap bikes that would outclass more expensive cars, and vice-versa, so it's a bit silly to simply say bikes are more expensive. They're not.

Put on more clothes? Do you mean like this guy?
    Get a decent set of motorbike gear and it'll keep you warm even when it's freezing out, unless you can't bear to be in an environment colder than 20 degrees, in which case I'd recommend Australia. :p:

ReputationRep:
    For the cost of a BMW touring bike, you could get a new Ford Mondeo.
    What? A Mondeo costs the same as an Electra Glide (the bentley of touring bikes).

ReputationRep:
    After being on a motorbike it's like there are lots of little annoying things that could be taken care of.

not found them, other than these cages that keep driving into me
    Basic equipment is lacking on some bikes like hand guards to stop cold hands or mudguards that fully guard against mud flinging onto engine or suspension parts.
    http://www.baglux.co.uk/product/?cat=62&id=3892
    http://www.getgeared.co.uk/keis_heat..._source=google
    or the thermal liners, or heated grips which come as stock on bmw tourers i think now
    One that I find particularly annoying is that fact that you're sitting on what essentially is a big heater with wheels yet all that nice warmth is being thrown away while your hands and other assorted body parts get frozen.
    Heated jackets, or put your hands on the engine when stopped, or move your knees by the engines, i don't get cold normally riding unless it's -7 or below, once we get below 5 i start with the heated stuff
    Price is another one because motorcycles in this country are seen as luxury items they come with silly prices.

But who wants a mondeo?

If you're not a biker you won't understand. And who chooses a bmw, unless you're chilledice..

If you want to live in a box you can, however i like the lack of a cage around, the lack of sitting in queues, and the acceleration.

ReputationRep:
    That's looking at it from a personal aspect and how much those qualities are worth. Where as I am looking for what you get for the money in more basic terms.
    I've seen bar muffs before but the complaints that cropped up were them folding in at higher speeds and being awkward to put your hand back in quickly.

Most of the time the engine would be to hot to place your hands on.
    Now if they made a special area or pad to do that then it would be a good idea.

(Original post by avsmithy)
    What? A Mondeo costs the same as an Electra Glide (the bentley of touring bikes).
    The Mondeo and BMW(the Honda equivalent was a grand cheaper) are under £16000 coincidentally they both get the same mileage too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Gloves will do a lot better at keeping your hands warm (and attached to the rest of your body) than "handguards" would. As has been mentioned you can also get heated grips, so I don't really understand what you're complaining about.
    To clarify I'm talking about guards in addition to gloves. I'm sure you can use google to see what I mean by motorcycle handguards.
    They are simpler and cheaper than farting around with heated electric muffs or gloves and protect your hand from more than just the weather.

ReputationRep:
    Well then you found a gap in the market, go market it and make some money!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you provide the start up costs.

The bikes in this PSA from the 60s didn't have indicators or mirrors back then.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAVx19vOZw

ReputationRep:
    I have guards and gloves and heated grips... Still get cold handsName:  3 Sisters track training 087.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  312.7 KB

ReputationRep:

Ok, I’m going to go through your post in order.
    To keep your hands warm you could either buy a decent pair of gloves or fit a pair of hand guards yourself, you can pick up a pair for next to nothing and fit them in a couple of minutes. You could also pick up a pair of heated grips for £50 which do a perfect job of keeping your hands warm.
    In terms of general warmth, it would take a lot of extra bodywork or other systems, and therefore more cost and weight, to use the heat from the engine to form any kind of heating system. Why not simply wear proper clothing? If it’s cold I just chuck on a proper thermal layer on underneath my normal kit, they are incredibly thin and so don’t make your clothing any bulkier, and I’ve never once felt cold on my bike, even doing a 200 mile journey up the motorway in temperatures very close to zero, I was perfectly fine without having to wear any extra bulky layers.
    Price, sure some new bikes are very expensive, but so what? If people are prepared to pay the price for a new bike then what is wrong with that? Also, while new bikes may be pricey, there are plenty of new bikes available for far less than you would find any new car, and the second hand prices are incredible. My last motorbike was bought for £1,000, cost me £160 to insure this year, and will easily outperform sports cars costing £60/70,000, and when I sell it on next month I’ll get back exactly what I paid for it.
    Your example of what you could buy for the cost of a new BMW tourer is daft too. First of all you’re comparing a top end bike with a bog standard basic model of a poor car. Secondly, you can’t really compare the two at all as they are bought for completely different purposes. Bikers don’t ride because it’s practical, they do it because it’s fun, far more enjoyable than driving, you don’t get stuck in traffic all the time, you have a proper feeling of freedom, it’s cheaper (even if you buy a brand new bike) and the biking community is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellenoir)
    I have guards and gloves and heated grips... Still get cold handsName:  3 Sisters track training 087.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  312.7 KB
    Then you need better gloves!

Don't mean to sound like an arse but I've never bothered with heated grips or hand guards and I've never suffered from cold hands because I splashed the cash a bit on a very high quality pair of winter gloves.

ReputationRep:
    Probably best not to encourage riding in the cold.

also that bmw may cost as much as a car but think of the fuel and insurance savings you get on a bike

ReputationRep:
    There are some bikes that offer heated grips as an option.
    In reality, you just need a decent pair of gloves. It is worth checking the bargain bin, though. My best pair came out of the "everything a tenner" box.

Bikes are really for the cheap thrills brigade. You can get just about the top superbike going (bar a few exceptions) for under 20 grand. The same performance in a car would cost an awful lot more.
    The flip side is you sacrifice a LOT in refinement.

As someone who is involved with cars and bikes I think I'd have to say for most people bikes are indeed just a toy. There are very few folk who want to daily a bike.
    I'm definately in the "fair weather biker" category. But then some of my cars fall into that camp too. There's only so many decent days a year so it's up to you how you prioritise which to use when the opportunity comes up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    Then you need better gloves!

Don't mean to sound like an arse but I've never bothered with heated grips or hand guards and I've never suffered from cold hands because I splashed the cash a bit on a very high quality pair of winter gloves.
    I have tried many gloves, i still get cold hands. But i'm still riding in -7 and dealing with the wind chill

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Probably best not to encourage riding in the cold.
    why not encourage all weather bikers, you can't beat a clear crisp morning when everyone else stays in bed and the roads are clear

ReputationRep:
    With the amount of resistance to things which should be standard it's funny some people aren't asking to go back to having no mirrors or indicators like the 60s.

Lol electric heated grips,you don't see heated steering wheels as a necessary addon because car makers didn't bother with a heater.

Decent gloves do get get cold,perhaps people are confusing astronaut gloves with motorcycle ones.

Another annoying aspect is helmet visors. When they aren't steaming up at inopportune moments they don't do a good enough job of blocking car headlights at night especially if there's a bit of rain.

ReputationRep:
    My last motorbike was bought for £1,000, cost me £160 to insure this year, and will easily outperform sports cars costing £60/70,000, and when I sell it on next month I’ll get back exactly what I paid for it. Your example of what you could buy for the cost of a new BMW tourer is daft too. First of all you’re comparing a top end bike with a bog standard basic model of a poor car.
    Anyone could buy a banger,rag it about and sell it before something important breaks.
    A bog standard car as you put it has more stuff and will do more mileage than a top end bike,that's a good point.

ReputationRep:
    brand new things will be overpriced anyway. which will loose more value though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.