Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you need to do triple science at GCSE to take a science at A level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you don't have to, but i'm currently doing double award (still all 3 sciences just one less module of work at the end) science at GCSE and i've been predicted A/A* so I'm not struggling with it. I want to take physics at A level and i'm wondering if i would find this too difficult? The people who are doing triple science in my year have an extra exam where i only have two. So i'm missing a whole exam's worth of work, Would i find it difficult to take physics as an A level?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by _molly)
    I'm sure you don't have to, but i'm currently doing double award (still all 3 sciences just one less module of work at the end) science at GCSE and i've been predicted A/A* so I'm not struggling with it. I want to take physics at A level and i'm wondering if i would find this too difficult? The people who are doing triple science in my year have an extra exam where i only have two. So i'm missing a whole exam's worth of work, Would i find it difficult to take physics as an A level?
    It will be slightly harder but it certainly won't be impossible. You have a good prediction too so as long as you put in the work, it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

So no, you don't need triple science to take it to A-Level. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    In my school as long as you get BB you can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so no.

I did triple science, and biology AS was completely different whereas chemistry AS overlapped a bit. People from double science still got As in chemistry AS at my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _molly)
    I went from doing double science at GCSE to doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics at A Level, so (at my sixth form anyway) it is easily possible. I don't really think you're at much of a disadvantage either as I managed to get three A's in those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same position as you, I did double science and then I have gone onto A level sciences (doing A2 Chemistry and physics now ) and from my experience there is nothing at all to worry about. I got what you're predicted for the double science, and once I got into the a level classes the teachers went over the stuff from triple (if any at all) again while diong the certain topic.

I did AQA double and then AQA A level physics and there wasn't anything (from what i remember) I missed out on in unit 1 and 4, but in unit 2 the only thing i had to read up on was moments and that took me about 10 mins

so overall you should be fine, with what you're predicted, and if you put the work in

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I only did double award and am predicted As in all 3 sciences at AS. It's not too difficult. I would probably go over the CGP revision guides over 1 week in the holidays so you go in with the same knowledge as everyone else but it's really no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Not at my school anyway, but the teacher said that some pupils who took additional science is actually doing better than those who took triple because if you only choose one science as a levels as you normally do and then it, yeah, I don't remember exactly what he said but it made sense at the time

jojotheflower, meow, over and out

ReputationRep:
    Having done the double (content) and now doing triple instead (self taught) I can say it helps a lot and if you can do it then one should.

But it's not by any means necessary as schools (like my own) don't even offer it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.