Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I apply for internships is it possible to stick a copy of a reference from a previous internship into the application? I feel that it adds some weight to my overall app and was wondering if this was possible in any form.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SW1X)
    Anyone?
    What do you mean by 'stick a copy of a reference from a previous internship'? Do you mean a reference given before the internship, in support of the application? If so, then no, you need to ask the referee if they will act for you again, you can't re-use an old reference for another application without asking them.

If you mean that you got a letter of recommendation/support in hard copy following a previous internship, it's worth trying to mention somewhere, in your covering letter etc. However, companies usually ignore additional paperwork if it is sent. Unless it is on headed paper and very specific, it's probably just as strong to say you've got it and offer to forward it, than actually send it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    What do you mean by 'stick a copy of a reference from a previous internship'? Do you mean a reference given before the internship, in support of the application? If so, then no, you need to ask the referee if they will act for you again, you can't re-use an old reference for another application without asking them.

If you mean that you got a letter of recommendation/support in hard copy following a previous internship, it's worth trying to mention somewhere, in your covering letter etc. However, companies usually ignore additional paperwork if it is sent. Unless it is on headed paper and very specific, it's probably just as strong to say you've got it and offer to forward it, than actually send it.
    Yep I'm refering to the former, it is an 'official' reference as such on headed paper and In my view comes across quite strongly, I was just wondering if it was the done thing to do with regards to sending it to HR etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SW1X)
    Yep I'm refering to the former, it is an 'official' reference as such on headed paper and In my view comes across quite strongly, I was just wondering if it was the done thing to do with regards to sending it to HR etc.

No you can't because the person who wrote it, wrote it specifically in relation to that previous application. You could ask them if they would give you another reference, or even if you could re-use that reference, but you can't just use it.

ReputationRep:
    No you can't because the person who wrote it, wrote it specifically in relation to that previous application. You could ask them if they would give you another reference, or even if you could re-use that reference, but you can't just use it.
    I'm confused, the refernece basically outlines the things i achived etc. on my previous internship and is something he wrote so that I could show it other potential employers. It's nothing to do with a previous application. It's just a letter highlighting my skills and achievments if that makes sense?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SW1X)
    I'm confused, the refernece basically outlines the things i achived etc. on my previous internship and is something he wrote so that I could show it other potential employers. It's nothing to do with a previous application. It's just a letter highlighting my skills and achievments if that makes sense?
    It's the latter then, a letter of recommendation. A reference is written for a specific job, usually from a Referee directly to an employer, and it is specific to the job. What you have is a letter of support or recommendation, written by a previous employer to no-one specific, confirming your performance at a previous job. They are pretty old-fashioned things nowadays and many employers just don't have a way to fit them into the recruitment process and don't value them (because they can be easily forged and they are written generically ie they are always positive and don't mention timekeeping, disciplinaries etc), but that doesn't mean they don't have any value at all, in the right circumstances.

I'd probably scan it, and add it as a second page to my covering letter. Keep the covering letter in the standard format, but at a suitable point, either when talking about the skills you gained in that internship, or in the final closing paragraph, say something like 'I have attached a letter of recommendation I received from the Head of Sales following my successful internship at Wherever. I hope this further confirms my strengths in [ pick the two most relevant skills the letter mentions]'. That way the employer can't really detach it and lose it, but they might chose not to actively value it. It's hard not to subconsciously value it though, especially if it reads well and seems relevant - which is what you want!

ReputationRep:
    It's the latter then, a letter of recommendation. A reference is written for a specific job, usually from a Referee directly to an employer, and it is specific to the job. What you have is a letter of support or recommendation, written by a previous employer to no-one specific, confirming your performance at a previous job. They are pretty old-fashioned things nowadays and many employers just don't have a way to fit them into the recruitment process and don't value them (because they can be easily forged and they are written generically ie they are always positive and don't mention timekeeping, disciplinaries etc), but that doesn't mean they don't have any value at all, in the right circumstances.

I'd probably scan it, and add it as a second page to my covering letter. Keep the covering letter in the standard format, but at a suitable point, either when talking about the skills you gained in that internship, or in the final closing paragraph, say something like 'I have attached a letter of recommendation I received from the Head of Sales following my successful internship at Wherever. I hope this further confirms my strengths in [ pick the two most relevant skills the letter mentions]'. That way the employer can't really detach it and lose it, but they might chose not to actively value it. It's hard not to subconsciously value it though, especially if it reads well and seems relevant - which is what you want!
    Sorry I was being a complete doughnut, I meant the latter not former haha - That is good advice thank you for that, tieing it in with the cover letter seems like a good idea of getting what I want across.

Cheers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.