Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good afternoon.

I'm quite overweight and I really, really want to lose weight.

I'm aiming to lose a 2-3 stone, but I'd like to know, what's the best way of doing this?!

Should I follow a diet of specific foods?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    just eat healthy and exercise - no secret really..!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1 Eat smaller portions (but don't stop eating)
    2 Ensure you do a decent amount of excersize (preferably something competitive as weell, such as playing hockey / football/ etc)
    3 Swap Beer for another drink.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Good afternoon.

I'm aiming to lose a 2-3 stone, but I'd like to know, what's the best way of doing this?!

Thanks.
    The best way to lose weight is to go on a low carb diet as it really works and is very motivating. I have lost 22 lbs in about 4 months using this method. The Dukan diet is a good one as it gives you some structure. I tend to eat a bowl of porridge in the morning and then an omelette and some yoghurt for lunch, then I eat what everyone else is eating at tea time except I miss out the chips or pasta. It really has been an easy diet for me tbh.

I don't drink pop or sweet drinks at all and have developed a love of tea! I also don't eat sweets and chocolate anymore.

By the way, I have tried low calorie diets before but they are so unpleasant and you just feel starving all the time. The low carb diet has been much easier as I don't get so hungry.

I feel so much thinner now and it's great. My clothes are all too big.

ReputationRep:
    Hi im new to this site, I was once 2 stone heavier and now I want to lose more for my holiday but im really struggling, im doing thd same as what I did at first but nothing seems to be coming off and I am so conscience kf my body I want to get in shape for spain in july need motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1) Cut back on portions
    2) Become more active.

That is all there is too it and about all the detail you need when you are 2-3 stone overweight. Just stick to regular meals and be concious about how much you are eating. You may need to experiment a little to work out what appropriate portions are but it shouldn't take more than a few weeks to figure it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethzergi)
    Hi im new to this site, I was once 2 stone heavier and now I want to lose more for my holiday but im really struggling, im doing thd same as what I did at first but nothing seems to be coming off and I am so conscience kf my body I want to get in shape for spain in july need motivation
    You have the motivation. In fact, you probably have too much motivation. The best thing you could probably do would be to find a sport or active hobby and just work hard at it without thinking about your body all of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I eat whatever foods I like within a calorie limit. I keep a note pad and write the calories of everything down. Lost four stones this year.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The key to losing weight is to burn off more calories than you consume. So a low calorie diet with some intense cardio every other day is a good way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethzergi)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the rate at which you lose weight does tend to slow as you lose weight, even if you haven't changed exactly what you are doing to lose weight. That's certainly been my own experience, anyway. :p:

Personally, I got myself quickly losing weight again mainly by slightly increasing the exercise that I was doing and daily recording everything that I was eating on MyFitnessPal and sticking to their recommended daily calorie consumption.

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon.

Thanks.
    I was about 3-and-a-half stone overweight once, but managed to lose a lot of weight to begin with just by regularly doing a bit more exercise than before, keeping busy with my Uni work (I was doing an MA at the time) and slightly decreasing the amount of food that I was eating. Using MyFitnessPal to record everything that you eat and sticking to their recommended calorie intake levels should really help you as well.

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon.

Thanks.
    Some people have quite rightly mentioned the key to losing weight is to burn off more calories than you consume.

However, it is important to make sure you eat healthily. The low carb diet mantra has always irked me - carbohydrates give you energy which you'll need during exercise. Why would you decrease your energy? High fibre, fruits and veggies, proteins, fats (nuts, fat from fish, some butter, etc.) and plenty of water (just always have a cup or bottle of water and drink from it every 5 minutes or so).

With regard to exercise, in order to lose fat you should do a combination of long low-intensity cardio - (cycling, cross trainer, running machine) which should be at a constant rate for at least 40 minutes (feel free to switch machines after 20 minutes) - and high intensity interval training - sprint for 30 seconds, 60 seconds lower intensity, repeat 10 times on 3 different machines (the rower is one of the best for this - Go for the 10 sets of 200 metres with a minute rest in between).

With that, you will lose plenty of fat if you do it 2 - 3 times a week. You should also look into building muscle if you're thinking of losing fat, as muscle is what gives you the lean/tone/ripped form which so many of us strive for. Moreover, muscle also uses calories/energy to build up, so it helps you to lose weight even when you're not exercising.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise is the most important thing. Eating sensibly is second.

I lost 10 kgs , August 12 - Feb 13.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_fetch)
    Exercise is the most important thing. Eating sensibly is second.

I lost 10 kgs , August 12 - Feb 13.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    You're going to get quite a bit of opposition for that statement!

I would argue that it's easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to burn 500 calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humbert Humbert)
    I eat whatever foods I like within a calorie limit. I keep a note pad and write the calories of everything down. Lost four stones this year.
    This is what I've been doing but I've been using mfp to keep track, I found it's been the best way for me. I used to do Slimming World but I found I struggled to stick to it as I just ended up eating the same things every day and got bored of it. This way I have more variety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    This is what I've been doing but I've been using mfp to keep track, I found it's been the best way for me. I used to do Slimming World but I found I struggled to stick to it as I just ended up eating the same things every day and got bored of it. This way I have more variety.
    That it allows you to eat a variety of stuff is one of the things that I really like about MFP. :yes: Also, being able to just scan the barcodes of (almost) everything that I eat using the MFP iPad app is just much more straightforward than having to note down different foods and their levels of different nutrients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    You're going to get quite a bit of opposition for that statement!

I would argue that it's easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to burn 500 calories.
    Yeah... the negs are rolling in! Well, neg me all you want people!

Ok, now i'ma rant a bit:

There is nothing wrong with eating what you want to eat. I am not saying 'oh, don't think about eating that 500 kcal slice of cake there, it won't matter you can burn it off'... I know as much as the next person, that isn't easy to do, that's an hour of exercise right there for a slice of freaking cake.

I'm just saying that as far as a healthy lifestyle goes, and one that is fulfilling and one that will not have an expiration date but last your whole life- you can't be constantly dieting or worrying about what you eat... you have to do the 'moderation' thing but when people say diet they think oh, I can't ever have a dominos pizza or a slice of cheesecake or some ice cream - lies. You don't just need to rely on exercise to burn calories, you can do chores and walk places you would normally drive to - this really helps. I often try to keep in mind my micro and macro limits , and there are plenty of calculators to help do this - there are even some phone apps to help. Everyone is different! But you will not be able to sustain a healthy, balanced body without exercise of some kind even if it is walking to work every day - that is my core belief.

Pizza is my favourite food, and I'll be damned if I'm swapping it for salad or even just anything I don't like because of a diet. I also like dominos, KFC, and lots of other bad places because I'm a student and eating out is what enjoy- but I don't do it every day, more like every month or couple of weeks.

I have watched my parents (minus my brother) struggle with their weight and body shape. My dad was ordered to go onto a diet by the Doctor because he was dangerously overweight (he has an awful metabolism and yours truly here has part inherited it) and so he now diets constantly, living mainly off just chicken and salad - with the exception of holidays where he binges (really does) on christmas cake, mince pies, cheese and all that 'bad' stuff... but it's only bad because of the quantity and quick succession of consumption that it is bad. When he began exercising it was a lot easier for him to eat what he wanted.. but I see him struggle for years to keep up this 'diet', and his digestive system has suffered greatly meaning he can only eat certain foods now - I don't want to see other people get trapped into a diet like that - one that saps enjoyment out of life and ruins your body.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.