Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My textbook says 'On Northern Isabella Island, the goat has also transformed forest into grassland, leading to soil erosion.' How did the introduction of goats to the Galapagos Islands cause forests to turn into grassland? I don't understand this part of the passage.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by celina10)
    My textbook says 'On Northern Isabella Island, the goat has also transformed forest into grassland, leading to soil erosion.' How did the introduction of goats to the Galapagos Islands cause forests to turn into grassland? I don't understand this part of the passage.
    I highly doubt that the goats on the island would equip themselves with chainsaws and cut down the trees building their homes

I believe it means that because goats have been introduced to a foreign island, they've been able to breed and create a large population. When the trees are cut down, the presence of the goats prevents them from growing back, and the goats make the forest their habitat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I highly doubt that the goats on the island would equip themselves with chainsaws and cut down the trees building their homes

I believe it means that because goats have been introduced to a foreign island, they've been able to breed and create a large population. When the trees are cut down, the presence of the goats prevents them from growing back, and the goats make the forest their habitat.
    lol but why does the goats presence stop trees growing? I still don't understand

EDIT: could it be something to do with altering the food chain, which might stop trees being able to reproduce (insects that pollinate them reduced in numbers/ died out)? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)
    lol but why does the goats presence stop trees growing? I still don't understand

EDIT: could it be something to do with altering the food chain, which might stop trees being able to reproduce (insects that pollinate them reduced in numbers/ died out)? :dontknow:
    Goats graze and will eat anything, including shoots and saplings. This stops big trees growing. They'll also eat nuts and big seeds and things. Small plants like grasses are OK because they grow and reproduce quickly, but trees which require a good few years before they're even big enough not to be eaten won't grow back.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Goats graze and will eat anything, including shoots and saplings. This stops big trees growing. They'll also eat nuts and big seeds and things. Small plants like grasses are OK because they grow and reproduce quickly, but trees which require a good few years before they're even big enough not to be eaten won't grow back.
    Pretty much this, we have a couple of goats in our garden and they completely demolish any grass on the field, very useful and cute animals

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.