Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

I am currently studying a BSc in Psychology, im in my final year and due to graduate in a few months. I have thought long and hard about what I want to do and I keep coming back to being a nurse. I really want to care for and help being and think I'd love being a nurse, but i didn't want to do another undergraduate degree!

I discovered recently that you can do a PgDip with registration in nursing which acknowledges you have done a degree in something already. I was looking at my options and I definitely don't want to do mental health nursing but I am stuck between adult or children's nursing. I love children I have been brought up around lots of babies and children and had numerous baby sitting and nannying jobs in summers between studying but I don't want to limit my career options too much.

Id appreciate very much and advice, tips, stories and expertise from nurses or nursing students.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends where you see yourself working in the future. Both have the same progression opportunities although there are less jobs in childrens due to there being less hospitals etc. I would advise getting some experience in both and see how you feel after that x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmeb)
    Hello All,

I am currently studying a BSc in Psychology, im in my final year and due to graduate in a few months. I have thought long and hard about what I want to do and I keep coming back to being a nurse. I really want to care for and help being and think I'd love being a nurse, but i didn't want to do another undergraduate degree!

I discovered recently that you can do a PgDip with registration in nursing which acknowledges you have done a degree in something already. I was looking at my options and I definitely don't want to do mental health nursing but I am stuck between adult or children's nursing. I love children I have been brought up around lots of babies and children and had numerous baby sitting and nannying jobs in summers between studying but I don't want to limit my career options too much.

Id appreciate very much and advice, tips, stories and expertise from nurses or nursing students.
    there are a lot less places in the childrens branch and it can be incredibly competitive to get in (I'm not entirely sure how I managed it!) but if like me that is your real area of interest I would go for it, I have worked with babies and children since I was 16 so it seemed silly to do an adult branch course (even though I would have loved to).

have you made any decisions?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.