Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm revising for my AS exams and I have advantages for market segmentation but i cant find any useful Disadvantages. I was wondering if any one could help, by giving me some?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Well, market segmentation is basically a very useful method of ensuring that the complete market's needs are being satisfied with special attention paid to each characteristically similar group's needs/wants. Disadvantages would thus be very limited- time consuming perhaps? as it greatly increases the length of time spent by the marketing department as it breaks its market into chunks, analyzing each and every chunk separately. Expensive too, as the Dep may need to purchase additional sources of information and use various types of promotion to attract each segment in a personalized way- if segmented by age, younger people would be targeted through celebrities, etc, whereas older people would be targeted differently, resulting in the need of producing advertisements with slight variations.
    Hope that helps. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violetta12)
    Well, market segmentation is basically a very useful method of ensuring that the complete market's needs are being satisfied with special attention paid to each characteristically similar group's needs/wants. Disadvantages would thus be very limited- time consuming perhaps? as it greatly increases the length of time spent by the marketing department as it breaks its market into chunks, analyzing each and every chunk separately. Expensive too, as the Dep may need to purchase additional sources of information and use various types of promotion to attract each segment in a personalized way- if segmented by age, younger people would be targeted through celebrities, etc, whereas older people would be targeted differently, resulting in the need of producing advertisements with slight variations.
    Hope that helps. =)
    That helped alot, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Violetta12 gave you a good answer there. One thing I would add is that you have to be very critical with respect to the data you use for your segmentation (i.e. its accuracy, age, span, etc.). Relying on incorrect or inadequate data for your segmentation can lead you to incorrect conclusions, which in a worst-case scenario might mean that you draw all the wrong conclusions and end up targeting the wrong market in the wrong way. This could lead to anything from "simple" loss of sales, to undermining your current customer base and facing a consumer backlash.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.