Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

First post on here, please don't bite! I'm a GCSE student in my last year of secondary school, and I've already successfully applied to my school's sixth form instead of going to college. I'm going to be taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. The only problem is, I have absolutely no idea about what to do after that!

I've decided that I want to go to university, but I'm stumped as to where to go or what to study, apart from it being in the Physics/Maths side of things. I've started looking at the UCAS websites for ideas for courses that could be available when I go.

In short, my question is; if you went to university for Physics/Maths, what university and course did you take and would you recommend them?

Thanks guys! :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmushrooms)
    Hi guys,

First post on here, please don't bite! I'm a GCSE student in my last year of secondary school, and I've already successfully applied to my school's sixth form instead of going to college. I'm going to be taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. The only problem is, I have absolutely no idea about what to do after that!

I've decided that I want to go to university, but I'm stumped as to where to go or what to study, apart from it being in the Physics/Maths side of things. I've started looking at the UCAS websites for ideas for courses that could be available when I go.

In short, my question is; if you went to university for Physics/Maths, what university and course did you take and would you recommend them?

Maths and physics become very different at university, and you should definitely bare that in mind. Maths becomes very rigorous and abstract (e.g. proving that 1+1=2 using set theory) whereas physics is very much applied maths (e.g. differential equations). I applied for physics because I knew that I was better at and enjoyed the applied maths more that the pure stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Easy, do maths and physics! It might vary between unis, but at a lot if you do a joint honours in both in your first year, you can transfer to either straight maths or straight physics in your second year, should it take your fancy. If you do straight physics in your first year you have to do maths modules anyway, but they'll be more focused on the application of the maths, and have less proofs. Doing a maths and physics just swaps these for pure maths modules (and may also force your elective, or "free choice" module to also be maths).

But yeah, keep in mind pure maths is very different at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering possibly? Contains a lot of physics/math content and depending on the type of engineering you do programming as well. I'd look at engineering, maths and physics course and see what suits your interests

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'd worry about GCSEs first After you've got your GCSEs and settled into AS you may have a better idea of what you want to do.
    Maths with Physics I see has already been said and is what I will be applying for, but I thought I wanted to be a medic before, had some work experience and saw that the paperwork and logistics would be a key component rather than actually helping people and changed my mind so it's still in flux yet
    Welcome to TSR :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Once you've started your A-levels you will have a better idea of what you want to do as you'll learn new things about each subject which could either fuel your passion or put you right off!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your input!

I've been looking around, and it appears that my A-level options have left me rather tight on what I can do. However, I appreciate that for my options, there is still a lot of choice open to me!

ROBBY7896 - I think that Physics would be better for me for those very reasons - while Maths is certainly my stronger subject, Physics holds more interest, but I appreciate that these subjects come hand-in-hand at certain points.

bistonut - I have indeed found courses around like "Maths with Physics" and "Physics with Maths" and I'm looking into these in more detail. What you were saying about Maths modules, I've found on the Cambridge website that for the Natural Science course, you take a module of Maths in your first year, which I wouldn't really mind to be honest.

munchen102 - I don't think I'll take engineering - Mechanics in A-level Maths looks impossible already! Thanks for your input though, I'll certainly have a look at it!

joostan and paper-may - I understand that, but I'm getting inspired to do well by looking at university! I'm going to a UCAS event in Sheffield in June once I've done my GCSEs, to have a look at university choices, so I'll look into it in more detail then.

Thank you all for your advice - much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your input!

I've been looking around, and it appears that my A-level options have left me rather tight on what I can do. However, I appreciate that for my options, there is still a lot of choice open to me!

ROBBY7896 - I think that Physics would be better for me for those very reasons - while Maths is certainly my stronger subject, Physics holds more interest, but I appreciate that these subjects come hand-in-hand at certain points.

bistonut - I have indeed found courses around like "Maths with Physics" and "Physics with Maths" and I'm looking into these in more detail. What you were saying about Maths modules, I've found on the Cambridge website that for the Natural Science course, you take a module of Maths in your first year, which I wouldn't really mind to be honest.

munchen102 - I don't think I'll take engineering - Mechanics in A-level Maths looks impossible already! Thanks for your input though, I'll certainly have a look at it!

joostan and paper-may - I understand that, but I'm getting inspired to do well by looking at university! I'm going to a UCAS event in Sheffield in June once I've done my GCSEs, to have a look at university choices, so I'll look into it in more detail then.

Thank you all for your advice - much appreciated!
    Just an additional point (if it hasn't already been made); Physics at uni is more like A level maths in terms of style of content that it is to A level physics. Likewise degree level maths is nothing like A level maths from what I've been told. It obviously gets more tricky at uni, and you'll deal with more advanced maths, but if you enjoy and are good at A level maths, then physics may well be a fantastic fit for you. Plus the interest of physics that you have, because all of it is in the context of different areas of physics.

You'll do maths every semester at uni until at least half way through your second year, if not until the end of second year, at every university, because it's all so fundamental to the physics you do throughout.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst mechanics is utilised by mechanical engineers (obviously) it is first and foremost a physics subject! You would more than likely study classical mechanics in your first year at uni if you went on to do physics .

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.