Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A couple points which i'm confused about.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have some questions which i'm hoping you can answer for me. I'm a gym and fitness noob so sorry if they come across as stupid as i just want to make sure i know the reasoning behind the answers.

I've read on these threads about Squatting. I know two types, one where i bend my knee whilst having the other leg pushed forward when standing straight. The other is when i bend my bum and squat down so the bum goes down and both knees bend. Are these correct squats?

Also i can't work out how squats lead to losing weight. They seem to be recommended by everyone but i don't know what the main benefits are apart from working the muscles on your legs. How does it affect weight loss?

Secondly, when people say on here you don't need to exercise to lose weight, it can just be done purely by having a better diet. And that Losing weight = Burning more calories than you eat. But how do you burn more calories if you aren't doing exercice?

Thanks for reading. Any replies with detailed reasoning would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I will let someone else explain the squats . But as for the second question; your body burns calories all the time, just controlling all of your body's daily needs including digestion, temperature regulation etc. Also including all exercise you HAVE to do, ie walking round the house. This is usually well over 1,000 calories, and more depending on your weight and height as you burn more the harder your body has to work day to day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Phillip Jones)
    I've read on these threads about Squatting. I know two types, one where i bend my knee whilst having the other leg pushed forward when standing straight. The other is when i bend my bum and squat down so the bum goes down and both knees bend. Are these correct squats?
    When people talk about 'squats' without any other word, they normally mean a barbell squat where you hold a barbell on the back of your shoulders and squat down and then go back up again. For example see here. In fact, browse the same site to find out about any weighted exercise that you are unfamiliar with - it is fairly comrehensive.

The other type of squat you are talking about is generally done with just bodyweight (i.e. no additional weights) and is called a pistol squat or one-legged squat. Google for more info.

Also i can't work out how squats lead to losing weight. They seem to be recommended by everyone but i don't know what the main benefits are apart from working the muscles on your legs. How does it affect weight loss?
    Firstly, you need to realise that for the majority of people, weight loss is not the primary (or at least only) goal of exercise. Exercise is essentially just another word for 'practice'. People practice things to get better at them. Therefore, the primary purpose of squatting is to get better at squatting.

The reason that one would want to get better at squatting is that it is a very basic human movement and a lot of overall strength and power depends on some extent to squatting power/strength. Think, for example, about pushing a car, sprinting or even throwing a punch - your bodies power emanates from the midsection in the same way that one drives up from the floor lifting a weight on the back.

That said, when people want to lose weight to look better - strength training is often cited as the best form of exercise since, in simple terms, it encourages the body to retain muscle tissue and lose fat rather than to lose fat and muscle. Basically, you see people lose weight by doing a lot of jogging and they often get smaller and softer or even just plain small and skinny. People who do a lot of intensive activity, such as weight training tend to get leaner and harder.

With that in mind, if you are going to do weight training and increase your strength - the squat is basically just a core exercise since it is a core human movement and the one that uses what are generally one of the strongest and largest muscle groups.

Secondly, when people say on here you don't need to exercise to lose weight, it can just be done purely by having a better diet. And that Losing weight = Burning more calories than you eat. But how do you burn more calories if you aren't doing exercice?
    Read the sentence again. 'More' is a relative term. In this case 'more' is relative to how many calories you eat. Therefore if you keep your level of activity the same but reduce the amount you eat to less than the amount required to fuel your daily activities then you are burning more than you eat.

Most adult males burn in the region of 2,500 calories per day through normal daily activities and bodily functions (this includes everything - you still use some amount of energy to stay alive when you sleep for example).

Therefore, for most guys, if they only eat say, 2,000 calories a day - they are burning more calories than they eat. On the other hand, they could carry on eating 2,500 calories a day but do extra exercise that burns 500 calories extra per day. In both cases they end up burning more than they eat.

In other words, the two ways to lose weight are to eat less and to exercise (or become active) more.

In practice, a combination of the two is usually the most desirable solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I will let someone else explain the squats . But as for the second question; your body burns calories all the time, just controlling all of your body's daily needs including digestion, temperature regulation etc. Also including all exercise you HAVE to do, ie walking round the house. This is usually well over 1,000 calories, and more depending on your weight and height as you burn more the harder your body has to work day to day.
    Thanks for the reply. Ahh so that's where i was going wrong. Had no idea the body burned calories like that. Makes me feel much better now about missing working out on some days of the week. As it doesn't need to be done every day to have a calorie deficit.

(Original post by Mark85)
    When people talk about 'squats' without any other word, they normally mean a barbell squat where you hold a barbell on the back of your shoulders and squat down and then go back up again. For example see here. In fact, browse the same site to find out about any weighted exercise that you are unfamiliar with - it is fairly comrehensive.

The other type of squat you are talking about is generally done with just bodyweight (i.e. no additional weights) and is called a pistol squat or one-legged squat. Google for more info.

Firstly, you need to realise that for the majority of people, weight loss is not the primary (or at least only) goal of exercise. Exercise is essentially just another word for 'practice'. People practice things to get better at them. Therefore, the primary purpose of squatting is to get better at squatting.

The reason that one would want to get better at squatting is that it is a very basic human movement and a lot of overall strength and power depends on some extent to squatting power/strength. Think, for example, about pushing a car, sprinting or even throwing a punch - your bodies power emanates from the midsection in the same way that one drives up from the floor lifting a weight on the back.

That said, when people want to lose weight to look better - strength training is often cited as the best form of exercise since, in simple terms, it encourages the body to retain muscle tissue and lose fat rather than to lose fat and muscle. Basically, you see people lose weight by doing a lot of jogging and they often get smaller and softer or even just plain small and skinny. People who do a lot of intensive activity, such as weight training tend to get leaner and harder.

With that in mind, if you are going to do weight training and increase your strength - the squat is basically just a core exercise since it is a core human movement and the one that uses what are generally one of the strongest and largest muscle groups.

Read the sentence again. 'More' is a relative term. In this case 'more' is relative to how many calories you eat. Therefore if you keep your level of activity the same but reduce the amount you eat to less than the amount required to fuel your daily activities then you are burning more than you eat.

Most adult males burn in the region of 2,500 calories per day through normal daily activities and bodily functions (this includes everything - you still use some amount of energy to stay alive when you sleep for example).

Therefore, for most guys, if they only eat say, 2,000 calories a day - they are burning more calories than they eat. On the other hand, they could carry on eating 2,500 calories a day but do extra exercise that burns 500 calories extra per day. In both cases they end up burning more than they eat.

In other words, the two ways to lose weight are to eat less and to exercise (or become active) more.

In practice, a combination of the two is usually the most desirable solution.
    Cheers for the reply man. Very very helpful. I'll carry on doing squats for strength training then. When you say most adults burn 2000 a day through regular activities, is that the minimum people would lose every day? What about for someone like me, who spends atleast 5-6 hours on average sitting infront of my computer. Am i infact gaining weight by doing this? Or still losing calories, or neither?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the reply man. Very very helpful. I'll carry on doing squats for strength training then. When you say most adults burn 2000 a day through regular activities, is that the minimum people would lose every day? What about for someone like me, who spends atleast 5-6 hours on average sitting infront of my computer. Am i infact gaining weight by doing this? Or still losing calories, or neither?
    Just to make sure you know - a calorie (or a kilocalorie as they should actually be called!) is a measure of energy, not of weight.

How many calories you burn when sedentary depends on many things so it's different for every person. You can calculate the approximate amount of calories you burn daily here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

When I put in all my stats it says my TDEE is 2624 because I exercise a lot and have a fairly active job (on feet all day etc). This means that I have to eat around that amount of calories to maintain my current weight. If I eat more than that I will gain and if I eat less I will lose because my body will have to turn to its stores to provide the energy it needs.

If I stopped exercising as much, or lost weight then this number would change.

ReputationRep:
    When you say most adults burn 2000 a day through regular activities, is that the minimum people would lose every day? What about for someone like me, who spends atleast 5-6 hours on average sitting infront of my computer. Am i infact gaining weight by doing this? Or still losing calories, or neither?
    The exact numbers aren't important since they vary quite a lot. For instance, a 5'2" 8 stone girl who sits on a sofa all day may only need 1,800 Calories a day whereas a 6'6" 19 stone rugby player who trains a lot may need 5,000

But to answer your question - even a fairly sedentary grown male of average size will probably expend about 2,500 Calories a day.

You need to understand what I said in the previous post to answer the last question.

The point is that your body uses a certain amount of energy each day which depends on how big you are and how active you are. You lose or gain weight depending on whether you eat less or more than the amount of energy you burn.

So to ask whether being fairly sedentary for most of the day makes you gain weight is nonsensical - there is no way to answer. You gain weight by eating more food than you need - it is as simple as that.

An average fully grown male would still need about 1,700 Calories or more per day if he was asleep in bed all day so if you mean is it possible to be so sedentary that you need no food at all then the answer is no.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.