Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much protein should I be eating/is it OK to cut out carbs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've started lifting for about 2 hours per day (alternating which area I work out each day so I don't get tired) and I'm also trying to lose weight so I was wondering how much protein I should eat given how much I'm exercising? Is it worth taking protein shakes and supplements or can I get enough protein without eating a ridiculous amount of chicken/fish/etc?

Also, is OK to cut out bread/potatoes/etc (not fruit obviously) for about a month or so?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a hardcore lifter but here is the general idea...

Start at 1.4g protein per lb of weight. This is about moderate and should be more than enough for now and is quite attainable through normal diet.

No, it's not ok to cut carbs, they are the bodies primary source of energy to power nearly everything, especialy muscles.

Keep the carbs complex (rice, pasta, potatoes). You should be eating somewhere like 20/60/20 for protein/carbs/fats but you can modify this by lowing your fat intake ratio and maintaining a calory deficit of about 300/400 per day to help lose weight. If loseing weight and health is more of a goal then add some cardio in there, 20/30 minute run for example.

If you start to feel rundown, increase your caloritic intake a bit or plan a rest day into your routine.

ReputationRep:
    0.8-1lb of protein per LB of lean bm, 0.4-0.5 of fat per LB of lean Bm and the rest can be whatever you want. Hit your macro nutrient targets by whatever you enjoy eating while hitting your micronutritional needs. Aim for a 500 calorie deficit for a 1lb a week which is a healthy weight loss, carbs do not make you fat, excess calories do.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Cheers is cutting out carbs not an easy way of cutting calories whilst still getting enough protein though? Or are they essential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    Cheers is cutting out carbs not an easy way of cutting calories whilst still getting enough protein though? Or are they essential?
    They aren't essential at all during weight loss, whereas proteins and fats are. keep proteins and fat relatively the same and drop carbs until your overall calories are around 500 under maintanance, and then adjust according as you lose weight

ReputationRep:
    They ARE essential. Technicaly you can live without them but you will feel 100% ****.

The idea is to carefully manage them so you are are burning more than you consume, but you shouden't cut them out. To do so is well...stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    They ARE essential. Technicaly you can live without them but you will feel 100% ****.

The idea is to carefully manage them so you are are burning more than you consume, but you shouden't cut them out. To do so is well...stupid.
    We're talking about overall calories here. I'm assuming normally OP would eat around maintanance, maybe a little above, so in order to cut down to 500 calories below, what macronutrient would you rather get rid of? Protein or fat? Pretty bad idea, carbs are the one to lower, not saying completely get rid of them but lower them till you hit the deficit needed

ReputationRep:
    Don't cut carbs; that's a fad, and it's a bad fad. Just eat healthy carbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    I've started lifting for about 2 hours per day (alternating which area I work out each day so I don't get tired) and I'm also trying to lose weight so I was wondering how much protein I should eat given how much I'm exercising? Is it worth taking protein shakes and supplements or can I get enough protein without eating a ridiculous amount of chicken/fish/etc?

Also, is OK to cut out bread/potatoes/etc (not fruit obviously) for about a month or so?

Thanks
    Don't get caught up in sillyness like calories and macros. You're not a bodybuilder prepping for a show or an athlete trying to make a weight class so you don't need that much detail. It distracts you from the bigger picture.

-Make sure you get a good serving of protein with every meal.

-Limit carbs by all means but don't binge if you start to feel crappy. Low/no carb can drive you nuts unless you can convince yourself that you're the terminator. Trust me, been there, done that and will go back to doing it when I want to get ripped shredded again (:P). Brutally effective but requires serious mental strength long term if you're training with any sort of intensity.

-Shakes are fine.

-A month ain't long enough to tell if somethings working or not. Stick with low carb (or any other approach) for 2-3 months then re-evaluate.

-Take photos to measure progress. Seriously. Weight is meaningless because it fluctuates (especially on low carb if you do refeeds). I can lose 5+kg in a week or so through dehydration and playing with salt. Is that reflected in terms of physique. No. Unless you've been dieting for a few months and then do a refeed. Then you look awesome for like... a day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.