Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tried asking in the chat forum, didn't get a reply so i thought i'd give it a go here.

I am 19 years of age. I have decided to return to school and take A levels (history, english lang, philosophy and politics). My application was successful, i have a place and will start studying this September, however because of my age i have to pay £2000/year to attend. I have been in part time work (16-26 hrs / week) for 18 months but i will have to quit when i start, and will have little way of finding income. I have saved up a substantial amount of earnings from working to pay for college, i am wondering if i will be entitled to any grants or income support whilst attending? I live with one parent who has been out of work for around a year. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak3smith)
    Tried asking in the chat forum, didn't get a reply so i thought i'd give it a go here.

I am 19 years of age. I have decided to return to school and take A levels (history, english lang, philosophy and politics). My application was successful, i have a place and will start studying this September, however because of my age i have to pay £2000/year to attend. I have been in part time work (16-26 hrs / week) for 18 months but i will have to quit when i start, and will have little way of finding income. I have saved up a substantial amount of earnings from working to pay for college, i am wondering if i will be entitled to any grants or income support whilst attending? I live with one parent who has been out of work for around a year. Thanks!
    Could you not continue to work just 8 hours per week on a Saturday or something?

Unfortunately I don't really know about funding for this as I'm more knowledgeable for mature students (24+) which is slightly different.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.