ReputationRep:
    Not being a Troll. I run Adblock too stop ads (obviously) but I know that some places make money of of them and I assume TSR is one. If I run Adblock, how does it affect TSR, and If it is negative how can I 'redeem' this (ie. donating a little bit)?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Not being a Troll. I run Adblock too stop ads (obviously) but I know that some places make money of of them and I assume TSR is one. If I run Adblock, how does it affect TSR, and If it is negative how can I 'redeem' this (ie. donating a little bit)?
    Subscribers on TSR don't get ads. See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/payments.php

ReputationRep:
    TSR does make money from adverts :yes: As I understand it, less people viewing the advert means it takes longer for that advert to reach the required number of "impressions" (people who have seen it), which means it's longer until another advert can run.

If you subscribe you won't see adverts

ReputationRep:
    Enough people have no idea what adblock is so you're not affecting TSR that much.
    If you're worried about it then you can create a whitelist with adblock to allow certain sites to show ads.

But like i say, enough people view/click on the ads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Subscribers on TSR don't get ads. See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/payments.php
    Are credits some kind of reward system? Or are they just a form of currency you can exchange for real money?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    TSR does make money from adverts :yes: As I understand it, less people viewing the advert means it takes longer for that advert to reach the required number of "impressions" (people who have seen it), which means it's longer until another advert can run.

If you subscribe you won't see adverts
    Wouldn't it still generate the same number of impressions if the adblock is simply hiding them from view, instead of blocking the HTTP request for them being created?

Are credits some kind of reward system? Or are they just a form of currency you can exchange for real money?
    They're a form of currency that TSR you can exchange for real money, although two members are selected each month and are awarded with enough credits for a 1 month subscription to reward their contributions to the site.

ReputationRep:
    I use Ghostery to prevent trackers and ads, whether targeted ads or not.

It works. There are 10 of them being blocked on this page as I type.

Ghostery found 10 trackers
    www.thestudentroom.co.uk
    AdvertPro - Advertising
    Facebook Connect - Widget
    Google Analytics - Analytics
    KissInsights - Analytics
    NetRatings SiteCensus - Analytics
    New Relic - Analytics
    Quantcast - Advertising
    ScoreCard Research Beacon - Tracker
    Twitter Button - Widget
    VigLink - Advertising

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it still generate the same number of impressions if the adblock is simply hiding them from view, instead of blocking the HTTP request for them being created?
    I don't know. I suppose it would depend how clever the impressions counter is.

They're a form of currency that TSR you can exchange for real money, although two members are selected each month and are awarded with enough credits for a 1 month subscription to reward their contributions to the site.
    You say "exchange", but just to clarify, there's no way of "selling" credits for money :nah:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You say "exchange", but just to clarify, there's no way of "selling" credits for money :nah:
    Oops. Badly worded. I meant purchase / obtain *

ReputationRep:
    Haha does it really matter, I don't think you enable ads will make much difference, especially as you won't even click them.

I'm sure TSR has various other means of revenue other than standard banner ads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stormy Seas)
    Haha does it really matter, I don't think you enable ads will make much difference, especially as you won't even click them.
    Typically advertisers pay for the display of the ads, not the clicking. So yes, it will make a difference.

I'm sure TSR has various other means of revenue other than standard banner ads.
    Gosh you're smart. One might think you might even have read the rest of the thread, which says exactly this.

Though I believe income from advertisements far exceeds income from subscribers.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? The way I see it is that as long as there are enough people who don't run Adblock, I can run Adblock and not get ads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Typically advertisers pay for the display of the ads, not the clicking. So yes, it will make a difference.

Gosh you're smart. One might think you might even have read the rest of the thread, which says exactly this.

Though I believe income from advertisements far exceeds income from subscribers.
    Well I meant standard banner ads specifically, the ones that are usually included in the global filter lists. If you were so 'smart' yourself you'd realise there are far more ways of getting advertisement revenue than just standard banner ads.

And clearly, impressions count for a lot less than clicks.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the first things I asked when I started at TSR HQ, and there's no definitive answer :yep:

The easiest way of contributing back into the site is to subscribe, or you can simply make TSR an exception in your AdBlock.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.