Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so I am completely confused....

how would the optic nerve fit in this for example:
    1) High light levels hit photoreceptors in retina
    2) Nerve impulses pass along sensory neurone to the CNS in the brain

Now I know the optic nerve fits in there somewhere... but how!? Does it pass along the sensory neurone, leaving the eye via the optic nerve?

I hope this makes sense as im even confusing myself ha!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ELB141)
    so I am completely confused....

how would the optic nerve fit in this for example:
    1) High light levels hit photoreceptors in retina
    2) Nerve impulses pass along sensory neurone to the CNS in the brain

Now I know the optic nerve fits in there somewhere... but how!? Does it pass along the sensory neurone, leaving the eye via the optic nerve?

I hope this makes sense as im even confusing myself ha!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The stimulus applied to the photoreceptors in the retina stimulate action potentials which travels to the optic nerve, and this carries it to the CNS. Here's a basic picture to help you. The actual process is a lot more complicated than that though, I've missed them out because I don't know what details you need to know
    Name:  optic_nerve.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  40.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    1) Light hits the photo receptors in the back of your eye (different wavelengths, different cells)
    2) The axons of these cells leave the eyeball via the optic disc (note, as there are no cells at this point, you can't see anything in this area. This forms the basis of the 'blind spot'.)
    3) Once these axons leave the eyeball, the join to form the optic nerve, which is a sensory nerve that relays information from the eye to the visual cortex (and several other structures on the way).
    4) Profit???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.