Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know it's a bit early.. but I'm starting GCSE maths in september and I was just wondering what the best maths textbooks/ revision books are? I'm really bad at maths, and I'm predicted to get an A/A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cute779)
    Hi, I know it's a bit early.. but I'm starting GCSE maths in september and I was just wondering what the best maths textbooks/ revision books are? I'm really bad at maths, and I'm predicted to get an A/A*.
    Find out which course you are following.
    For example I teach a certain GCSE that is quite obscure.
    You may do modular or linear.
    Likely you will study either Edexcel, AQA or OCR (There are others).
    I have to say I like old books from Amazon for tougher questions although some of the new ones are quite good.
    You will also have the choice over a course text and a revision guide. Decide which you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    Find out which course you are following.
    For example I teach a certain GCSE that is quite obscure.
    You may do modular or linear.
    Likely you will study either Edexcel, AQA or OCR (There are others).
    I have to say I like old books from Amazon for tougher questions although some of the new ones are quite good.
    You will also have the choice over a course text and a revision guide. Decide which you need.
    What's the difference between modular and linear? I think we study Edexcel maths, I've seen quite a few books around my maths class that say Edexcel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cute779)
    What's the difference between modular and linear? I think we study Edexcel maths, I've seen quite a few books around my maths class that say Edexcel...
    You will do Linear as Modular no longer exists

Using Edexcel boks does not mean they still do Edexcel

There are still a number of possible courses that you could be doing

I am surprised that information on your GCSE course was not included in your KS4/options booklet

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel and I just have the newest edition edexcel revision guide, its good, but I have noticed that there are some bits that are on the spec that aren't included in the guide, such as frustums (aren't they just a burden). I do have a IGCSE student book as that was what I was originally going to do, but it looked much harder so I went for normal GCSE instead

I have found using MathsWatch and YouTube much more helpful as books aren't speaking to you and explaining it. Theres a few good ones on YouTube also, I just search what I am stuck on and theres always a tutorial.

If your really not too advanced in Maths I would recommend you get a student book if using a book is the way for you. The revision guides don't really explain anything.

HTH

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.