Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Im just about to do my gcse's and was just wondering, If I were say to get the following gcse's:

Eng lit A
    Eng lang A*
    Chem A
    Bio A
    PhysA*
    RS A*
    Geo B
    Hist B
    Fre B
    Maths A*

What would my chances be of getting into top unis like Bristol, Durham, Leeds, York, Edinburgh, Oxbridge etc. Assuming I got 3A's at A level if not A*AA and looking to study economics?

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crimsonisliam)
    Well, to do economics I would suggest that you would need to have a better understanding of the term "average"

ReputationRep:
    If you get 3A's then I don't see why you can't go for all of them (except Oxbridge, though economics is too competitive there).

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Im just about to do my gcse's and was just wondering, If I were say to get the following gcse's:

Eng lit A
    Eng lang A*
    Chem A
    Bio A
    PhysA*
    RS A*
    Geo B
    Hist B
    Fre B
    Maths A*

What would my chances be of getting into top unis like Bristol, Durham, Leeds, York, Edinburgh, Oxbridge etc. Assuming I got 3A's at A level if not A*AA and looking to study economics?

Thank you in advance

4 A* 3 A and 3 B is in no way "bad-average". You could easily get into any of those universities assuming you have good AS level grades, good A2 predictions (at least A*AA), a good personal statement, a good interview with the universities and a manifested passion for Economics.

By the way, if you're in year 9 (I assume you are from "I'm about to do my gcses") you do not need to cause yourself stress over university just yet. It's good to have an idea of what you want to do, but if you want to focus on anything, focus on absolutely nailing your Year 9 mocks and GCSEs

EDIT: NEGGED? WHAT ON EARTH FOR?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Eng lit A
    Eng lang A*
    Chem A
    Bio A
    PhysA*
    RS A*
    Geo B
    Hist B
    Fre B
    Maths A*

Thank you in advance
    You're an absolute idiotic moron if you think they're bad GCSE's. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It's only Oxridge that would take a second look at them. (Even then you'd be able to get in if the other aspects of your application are very good)

The others will be absolutely fine with your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for youre quick replies, btw I am in year 11 just about to sit them, just another question, if I throw a C in there for French will that decrease my prospects by much? And I am sorry about stating my proposed gcse's as bad, I only said that because of the great GCSE's Ive seen on TSR. Thax again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for youre quick replies, btw I am in year 11 just about to sit them, just another question, if I throw a C in there for French will that decrease my prospects by much? And I am sorry about stating my proposed gcse's as bad, I only said that because of the great GCSE's Ive seen on TSR. Thax again
    7A+ grades are more than enough to impress most university admissions

Economics is a competitive course so you will want to be looking at A grades at AS for a lot of places

Once you have finished your GCSE exams and have some time on your hands start to look at the UCAS website then look at the specific websites of places that you are keen on ... get a feel for what is on offer and for what they are wanting

Think about your wider reading at that point so that you start to boost your PS

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm the same, but they're more than good enough! A lot of the people on here have 10 A*s+, so mine seem pretty crappy in relation to them. :sad:

A C in French wouldn't hinder your chances at all. GCSEs are just one part of the university admissions process. You'll be fine This video gave me some reassurance on my own predicted grades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUCiBjdiWO0

ReputationRep:
    sorry guys ive slipped in the last couple years i got in by as levels B C C D what are my chaces now

ReputationRep:
    wait what did you get in your gcses

ReputationRep:
    AS or A2?

sorry guys ive slipped in the last couple years i got in by as levels B C C D what are my chaces now
    AS or A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihihi)
    AS or A2?

AS or A2?
    He said As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonn_Snowed)
    He said As
    Oh yes, sorry. Didn't notice the lowercase.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.