General Studies AQA A - Hard?! Watch

Ywiss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Paper 1 and 2 today...impossible! I wasn't expecting GS to be that hard...completely ran out of time on both papers - was still filling in that stupid little computerised answer sheet when it was 5 minutes to go :mad: Did anyone else find it hard..?
cowsgomoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
we on about rolemodels and population shoite?

they werent easy.

am i sad for enjoying reading the articles however?

my CMAH paper was just bad, my essays about rolemodels. id lost the will to live after mechanics.
Dark and Lovely
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the hardness of the papers might pay off in low grade boundaries, the science paper was v.difficult
xxjayx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I only did Unit 1 (do the other 2 in January) However the Rolemodels one I found alright?
motoroller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hopefully the boundaries go down and UMS goes up! I think they were ok(ish) - i wrote a lot though! and some of the multiple choice was hard - "which one is a paradox?"??
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
depends what you're like - see, i foudn the science stuff fairly logical although it did give me a headache, but my essays were rubbish.

my politics paper was REALLY rubbish, did that the previous monday.
badabing
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone really care about GS? At our school, its a compulsory subject just to get the ucas points up a bit. No-one revises, and at the end of the day, it's ignored by most of the top universities so I don't really see much point in it (i'm obviously biased as I'm aiming to get into a top uni). Our school wastes a lot of money on the exam fees when it could be spent offering more worthwhile qualifications.
Ywiss
Rep:
?
No...no one does care about it all that much - maybe that's why they made this paper hard - so people wouldn't think it was a load of rubbish. But although most unis don't actually count it in terms of UCAS, they have taken it into account if you don't get the grades - someone I know got into uni because of General Studies...:p:

Also our school does it to get extra money, not to spend it - I don't know how that works...
emzilee
Report 12 years ago
I thought the role models paper wasn't bad but the science bit MAJORLY hurt my head (although not quite as much as my 18 pages of writing from English Language today). I didn't think the Maths was too bad though!
Azimuth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found the Maths surprisingly difficult. I thought I'd just be speeding through the questions and casually ticking the boxes, but many of them actually required a significant amount of working out and a calculator.

I'm sure that there are alot of people who did very badly on that paper.
Ywiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Azimuth)
I'm sure that there are alot of people who did very badly on that paper.
Hahaha - let's all be bad together...
Ywiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzilee)
I thought the role models paper wasn't bad but the science bit MAJORLY hurt my head (although not quite as much as my 18 pages of writing from English Language today).
You wrote 18 pages for English Language???!!! A bit off the subject, I know, but you wrote 18 pages for English Language???!!! That's insane! How could you actually write that much? Hang on, let me work out how much I wrote...only 12. Bah. Are you doing AQA A? How did you find it? I compleeetely ran out of time on the first paper...paper 3 wasn't too bad. I'm doing it out of school, so don't have anyone to compare with (sob)

x
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it hurt my head a lot too.

And I felt the same as you on the maths thing Azimuth cause i do maths and further maths.... but that maths was like SATs maths made annoying with complications!
vasehedar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I thought the Role-model paper was a ***** of a paper, but the maths and science questions were ok-ish. Hopefully, if everyone found the papers hard then the grade boundary should go down
Fingers crossed!!!
seafairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For the AS I got 100/100, 96/100, and then a U..was very surprised about the 100/100. did find it easy..didnt go to the lessons (didnt have to) and didnt revise.. A2 is probably harder so ill probaby fail but i have so many other exams im just going to see how it goes..no biggie as it isnt accepted by my uni..
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lucidia)
For the AS I got 100/100, 96/100, and then a U..was very surprised about the 100/100. did find it easy..didnt go to the lessons (didnt have to) and didnt revise.. A2 is probably harder so ill probaby fail but i have so many other exams im just going to see how it goes..no biggie as it isnt accepted by my uni..
what did you get overall for AS then?

I like thoes grades.. its like youre smart, but you're still human. Like me and my 3 A's and an E for my January modules. And loads of people on this forum get 100% in EVERY module - it's so annoying!!!
seafairy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by greengrass)
what did you get overall for AS then?

I like thoes grades.. its like youre smart, but you're still human. Like me and my 3 A's and an E for my January modules. And loads of people on this forum get 100% in EVERY module - it's so annoying!!!
lol I got a B overall
thats_my_poison
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
I did alright in the maths/science one in Jan, but I don't think I did that well on the role-model one. For some reason, I wrote about hot Bob Geldof is a good role model...
hehe - same here
Just some guy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The worst thing about this is that even if the exam was really hard it doesn't change people's perception of General Studies as being a joke. So they'll be like "You got a C in General Studies?"

But nobody cares about GS anyways, so it doesn't really matter.
raggylou123
Report 10 years ago
i am regretting even taking general studies, ive got 2 papers before my french paper and the other on a day i could be revising for a subject that actually means something to the universities!!

Anyone else regretting it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (489)
37.7%
No - but I will (100)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (620)
47.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise