Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I found this on the BC website but finding it frustratingly vague in terms of

• what the job actually involves
    • what they're looking for

It mentions language skills but I can't see any specified...I also heard rumours of a BC grad scheme for people with language skills, so that's worrying me a little.

Anyone else interested?

I think it's only been advertised in the past couple of days *embarrassingly over-keen alert* so maybe more information will come out in the next few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by journalisima)
    Hey, I found this on the BC website but finding it frustratingly vague in terms of

• what the job actually involves
    • what they're looking for

It mentions language skills but I can't see any specified...I also heard rumours of a BC grad scheme for people with language skills, so that's worrying me a little.

Anyone else interested?

I think it's only been advertised in the past couple of days *embarrassingly over-keen alert* so maybe more information will come out in the next few days.
    I assume you mean the English Teaching Graduate Scheme?
    If so,
    It is for UK graduates who are currently unemployed and helps them to fund a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL course. Which is what you will need to then go find a job in the UK or abroad as a teacher of English as a foreign language.
    From the website:
    "How will my application be assessed?
    If you meet all the eligibility criteria, your application will be put forward to a selection panel. Successful applicants should demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and experience:

An appropriate understanding of what working in EFL involves and a commitment to learners and learning
    Evidence of some experience as a teacher
    Evidence of an interest and openness to other cultures
    Good use of English throughout the application form

Your application form as a whole should reflect a commitment to the scheme and to TEFL (for example, a very short statement would suggest a lack of genuine interest in the scheme).

As there are a limited number of grants available, the selection panel will be using the criteria above to determine which applicants best display real interest in, understanding of and suitability for working as an EFL teacher.

Where two applications are assessed as equal on the above criteria, preference will be given to the applicant who would otherwise have been unable to fund the full cost of a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL course. This will be assessed according to what you have written in the 200 word statement in answer to the question “Why do you need a British Council training grant?”."

ReputationRep:
    It isn't the Teaching Graduate Scheme as far as I can tell. The advert is frustrating without any additional documents to further explain what it is they want! I may give them a call tomorrow to find out what its all about.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the English language teaching scheme!

I tried to apply and it says in the application that they want you to be fluent in either French, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian or Arabic. So that's me out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you see the links to the pdf person specs? It kinda helps on what they are looking for, but not really a clue on what is on offer. They were less vague last year, which may give a clue whats on offer this year. http://episerverdev.britishcouncil.o...e-scheme-2012/

ReputationRep:
    They really don't have much info up, it's hard to answer their question of why you're applying for a certain role..

You don't actually have to be fluent though - I emailed to check and you have to be equivalent to B1 level which is explained here - http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en...ge-levels-cefr - and it's far from fluent, more just conversational!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaijaEliina)
    They really don't have much info up, it's hard to answer their question of why you're applying for a certain role..

You don't actually have to be fluent though - I emailed to check and you have to be equivalent to B1 level which is explained here - http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en...ge-levels-cefr - and it's far from fluent, more just conversational!
    Ah that's really helpful, thanks. In my mind there's a difference between "fluent" and "proficient" but they use both during the application process, which was a bit confusing/concerning . B1 is far more manageable!

ReputationRep:
    I assumed fluent meant fluent and didn't apply. Silly me. It'll be interesting to know how people got on in their applications.

ReputationRep:
    It closes at midnight tonight! There's still time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I just got an email saying that they're extending it until the 7th of May. Maybe not that many applied in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by journalisima)
    Actually, I just got an email saying that they're extending it until the 7th of May. Maybe not that many applied in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

With a cryptic job description like that, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get many applicants! Last year what they wanted for each role was so clear. I've decided to reapply but not sure where to choose. I'm going to go primarily for Kenya amongst others seeing as I have a CELTA and they concentrate on English and Exams.
    They had Portugal available last year, I would have loved to have gone there.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I did Kenya too! Also have a CELTA. Not particularly hopeful though as my language skills aren't fab.

I agree, it was a very obtuse job description. I found it quite difficult to do because they didn't give us much to work off of- just the bare bones on the person spec eg 'practical' etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone apply for more than one role??

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested too though I am midway through my degree, it's definitely something I will be applying to when I graduate. Next year I'm doing the english language assistantship in Europe with BC but I only learned of the grad scheme recently.

I speak French and Spanish, and want to start picking up a 4th language next year since I'll have a lot of free time on my hands. Maybe Portuguese or Mandarin.

Would be very interested in applying to the Global Network scheme in India or China.

The info on the site is a little vague - but from what I gather the scheme covers different roles based on your experience/competencies and is 2 years long. Mainly revolves around business development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kafuka)
    Did anyone apply for more than one role??
    I applied for two of them - sent in exactly the same application though since they made it so hard to be specific about it! Did you apply for more than one in the end?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for two of them - sent in exactly the same application though since they made it so hard to be specific about it! Did you apply for more than one in the end?
    Which ones?

From what I gather the only ones that don't require knowledge of the native language are India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, but you should still know at least one of the main languages they listed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aryjr)
    Which ones?

From what I gather the only ones that don't require knowledge of the native language are India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, but you should still know at least one of the main languages they listed.
    Yep I applied for India and Bangladesh! And I did a level Spanish which I'm hoping will be good enough if I get through to the next round..

ReputationRep:
    Yep I applied for India and Bangladesh! And I did a level Spanish which I'm hoping will be good enough if I get through to the next round..
    That should be fine, worth revisiting your Spanish textbooks because I think they assess your language skills

Keep us updated on how it goes, very interested in doing this once I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Got the email- didn't get it! Not surprised really as my language skills are questionable.

Hope someone on here has better news :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Italy and Greece, just got through to the next stage of 'situational judgement tests'. Bit nervous as thus far I've only ever had to do regular verbal/numerical reasoning tests!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.