English Lit Help!! Watch

spamking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
When you're told to compare 2 or more poems...what should the introduction consist of? Would it be better to firstly name the poems eg:
For this essay question I will be comparing ... with ...
and then briefly describe what each poem is about? :confused:

I suck at essays:mad:

Can someone please send me a sample essay just so I know how it should be set out, that would be great!
Theorist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, you can give a brief introduction as to what each poem is about, but it shouldn't be more than a line or two for each poem. You're not gaining anything by doing it - it's more 'etiquette'.

I don't think you need to name the two poems, just stick the titles in the front of your essay and the examiner should know what you're going to write about.

Hope this helps,

Sen
Berto90
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Avoid generic sentences like "In this essay" or "For this essay" or "This essay will compare".
spamking
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Berto90)
Avoid generic sentences like "In this essay" or "For this essay" or "This essay will compare".
Okay, so what should I write instead? English is my second language you see...
Will Grimes1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
start by saying something related to the topic '"Carol Ann Duffy" uses a variety of techniques to build an image of a twisted individual with psychological problems in "Education for Leisure"' bla bla ...
Daydreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you dont need the brief introductions...i used to make that mistake...

Our teacher is a marker and she said (along with a lot of her friends) that its pointless and insults the examiners intelligence (they are going to be reading hundreds of essays like this, they will know what the poems are about...).

Plus you dont gain marks for it or lose marks for not doing it and it can unfocus you off the question.
s0phie-x
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Yep, was told today to not bother putting titles as this will be obvious to the examiner. Instead, write something similar to the question - for example.
Question - how are parent and child bonds seen in Poem A and Poem B?
Ans - The tie between a mother and child is often seen as one of the strongest on earth, and ment to be irriplacable.
Ok i could go on but i have lots of revision to do for tomorrow but basically think 'philisophical overview' as this shows analysis of the question!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise