Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which university would you say is the best for Geography??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cityking94)
    Which university would you say is the best for Geography??
    I am doing human geography at Lancaster and absolutely loving it! It is taught within the Lancaster Environment Centre (LEC) which is a really good department. In terms of human geography (I didn't ever do physical geography), the focus is probably more on environmental/development geography than it would be at some other departments. There are lots of good fieldtrips available, including New York, Tunisia and a new one starting next year to the Amazon! The year isn't too big (about 150 total in our year across all the degree schemes, which is the biggest yet I think), so you find that you get to know a lot of people through your course. I've found staff to be really supportive when I've had external issues throughout my degree and I didn't originally come to Lancaster to study human geography, so they are obviously doing something right!
    In terms of both physical and human geography, Lancaster really is a great location. You are near the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, and are near major cities like Manchester and Liverpool.
    More generally, I think Lancaster is a great university to study at! It has a really nice campus and, even though the nightlife isn't exactly up to some of the really big cities, Lancaster is a city with two universities, so there is plenty of nightlife to keep you going. The college system makes it easy to make friends early on in first year, so I think you get a bit of a head start with making friends. There are lots of good societies including everything from the paintballing society to the Glee Club and ones more relevant to geography degrees such as WaterAid.
    I hope this has helped give you a general overview of geography at Lancaster! If you have any specific questions feel free to either message me or just quote me on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bownessie)
    I am doing human geography at Lancaster and absolutely loving it! It is taught within the Lancaster Environment Centre (LEC) which is a really good department. In terms of human geography (I didn't ever do physical geography), the focus is probably more on environmental/development geography than it would be at some other departments. There are lots of good fieldtrips available, including New York, Tunisia and a new one starting next year to the Amazon! The year isn't too big (about 150 total in our year across all the degree schemes, which is the biggest yet I think), so you find that you get to know a lot of people through your course. I've found staff to be really supportive when I've had external issues throughout my degree and I didn't originally come to Lancaster to study human geography, so they are obviously doing something right!
    In terms of both physical and human geography, Lancaster really is a great location. You are near the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, and are near major cities like Manchester and Liverpool.
    More generally, I think Lancaster is a great university to study at! It has a really nice campus and, even though the nightlife isn't exactly up to some of the really big cities, Lancaster is a city with two universities, so there is plenty of nightlife to keep you going. The college system makes it easy to make friends early on in first year, so I think you get a bit of a head start with making friends. There are lots of good societies including everything from the paintballing society to the Glee Club and ones more relevant to geography degrees such as WaterAid.
    I hope this has helped give you a general overview of geography at Lancaster! If you have any specific questions feel free to either message me or just quote me on here

Yeah cheers mate thanks for helping me. I've narrowed it down to Lancaster and Exeter. Lancaster has by far cheaper accomodation to the extent by which I can afford ensuite, but not at Exeter. In terms of nightlife, I'm not too fussed as long as the teaching is very good as well as the lecturers and prospects of employability.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.