Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to contact the university with the question, however I'll post it here in case I don't get a reply as hopefully someone else can tell me:

Hello

For UCAS I'm considering picking Computer Science (G400) at Kingston as my firm choice, however I had a quick question that wasn't covered on the open day.

For this course how much maths will be taught or required, and what level will it be taught at? Will there be modules in this course that focus*just*on maths, or will a lot of maths be taught in the different modules?*

While I'm not a novice at programming, from what I have heard maths is often taught with programming (such as writing a program to*calculate*a complicated maths equation), or as part of other modules for a Computer Science degree. *While I can handle basic maths, I am worried that some of the more advanced maths which might be taught in this course I might not understand (if it's harder than GCSE maths).

I really like Kingston, and I hope that I can study there, however as I am not very confident with maths I would rather know how much will be taught on the course and at what level.

Thank you

For lazy people I'm asking if maths will be taught a lot for the course, and if so what level the maths will be (GCSE, A-Level, degree level etc...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_PC)
    I'm trying to contact the university with the question, however I'll post it here in case I don't get a reply as hopefully someone else can tell me:

Hello

For UCAS I'm considering picking Computer Science (G400) at Kingston as my firm choice, however I had a quick question that wasn't covered on the open day.

For this course how much maths will be taught or required, and what level will it be taught at? Will there be modules in this course that focus*just*on maths, or will a lot of maths be taught in the different modules?*

While I'm not a novice at programming, from what I have heard maths is often taught with programming (such as writing a program to*calculate*a complicated maths equation), or as part of other modules for a Computer Science degree. *While I can handle basic maths, I am worried that some of the more advanced maths which might be taught in this course I might not understand (if it's harder than GCSE maths).

I really like Kingston, and I hope that I can study there, however as I am not very confident with maths I would rather know how much will be taught on the course and at what level.

Thank you

For lazy people I'm asking if maths will be taught a lot for the course, and if so what level the maths will be (GCSE, A-Level, degree level etc...).
    Howzit,

I asked one of the current second year students who is currently doing Computer Science, but Games Programming, which I assume is a little bit more mathematics orientated than the G400 course, given its nature.

He got a B in his maths GCSE, says 'some of it is hard, but there are plenty of workshops and stuff you can attend to help with that'.

So basically what he has gone through and not been anywhere near difficult enough to warrant stress, considering he got what I assume is nearly the same academic grades/levels you achieved, and that if you do find some of it difficult there are sufficient resources and materials to help you overcome any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seaton)
    Howzit,

I asked one of the current second year students who is currently doing Computer Science, but Games Programming, which I assume is a little bit more mathematics orientated than the G400 course, given its nature.

He got a B in his maths GCSE, says 'some of it is hard, but there are plenty of workshops and stuff you can attend to help with that'.

So basically what he has gone through and not been anywhere near difficult enough to warrant stress, considering he got what I assume is nearly the same academic grades/levels you achieved, and that if you do find some of it difficult there are sufficient resources and materials to help you overcome any problems.
    Thank you.

However trust me, I have terrible maths skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_PC)
    Thank you.

However trust me, I have terrible maths skills.
    Tell you what, so did a friend in school.

He was, and relative to his final class is, absolutely hopeless at maths. So bad that he got put in the top maths class.

No typo there, he was by far the worst at arithmetic and algebra in our year. That said, he was a hard worker and just needed to be put in an environment where the class did far more exercises than other classes did. He ended up finishing with 76% or something.

Moral of the story, maths is piss easy if you apply yourself and are in the correct environment. Easier to find a group in which to study with and help you in uni than school I reckon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.