Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a general question about enthalpy level diagrams.
    I am aware that enthalpy increases until reaching a maximum at the transition state then reducing until products are completely formed. I assume the initial increase in enthalpy is due to bonds breaking then the reduction is due to bond formation of the products. However, surely that would cause the transition state to be the species where all necessary bonds are broken, but the accepted definition of transition state/ activated complex is a species where bonds are being broken and formed. Can someone please explain this?
    Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MEPS1996)
    Just a general question about enthalpy level diagrams.
    I am aware that enthalpy increases until reaching a maximum at the transition state then reducing until products are completely formed. I assume the initial increase in enthalpy is due to bonds breaking then the reduction is due to bond formation of the products. However, surely that would cause the transition state to be the species where all necessary bonds are broken, but the accepted definition of transition state/ activated complex is a species where bonds are being broken and formed. Can someone please explain this?
    Thanks.
    You can think of the transition state as being the approach of two particles in a collision. The interaction of electron clouds causes repulsions that raise the energy of the system. If the collision has enough kinetic energy the particles collide and bond reformation takes place.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. So the increase in energy is due to electron repulsion, NOT the breaking of bonds?
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    And the decrease in energy after the transition state is due to reduced electron repulsion, and the only time bonds are broken/ being made is during the transition state?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.