Mark scheme?
Reply 21
Original post by Loopset
Mark scheme?

Nope
Reply 22
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Do you have the mark scheme for this paper, by any chance? :smile:

Unfortunately not. I found that paper on google, but can't find the mark scheme. It's a pretty easy paper though.
Reply 23
That would be excellent if you could. Seriously, you're a life-saver! My physics teachers are rubbish and I'm just relying on past papers, the Nelson Thrones book and your notes are helping me loads. :smile:
I'm also using your chemistry unit 1 notes, they are very clear and concise.
:smile:

Im glad that I have helped! I only used past papers and those revision notes. As long as you look at enough mark schemes you should be fine.
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Hey guys, I'm doing this paper too :smile: We do both unit 1 and 2 in the summer at our school :/

Particle physics I've got the hang off, but electricity just has pointless and confusing content!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same I also have both units to do. It took me ages to get the hang of electricity and now I finally have, so unit 1 is pretty simple for me, but Unit 2 I'm so confused with the mechanics ill be lucky to get a B atm. I need serious help. How's unit 2 for you?
Anyone done the written paper for the Empa?
Original post by mattj94
Hi, I recently set up a revision website. So far AQA Unit 1 is the only module I have for Physics but I hope to add unit 2 notes soon, it would be great if you could check it out! http://www.mattsrevision.com/particles-quantum-phenomena-and-electricity/

Thanks Matt! Your notes are awesome. It looks like we won't even get through the whole syllabus before the unit 1 exam, so this really helps.
Original post by GeneralOJB
Unfortunately not. I found that paper on google, but can't find the mark scheme. It's a pretty easy paper though.

Don't worry about it, thanks for the paper though! :smile:
It was a nice paper. Much nicer than some of the past papers. Its a shame my school didn't let us sit this exam in January.
It was a nice paper. Much nicer than some of the past papers. Its a shame my school didn't let us sit this exam in January.

I got a C in that paper...ordered my paper back, and realised I did pretty good throughout it all, but came to the heaviest qs (if I recall correctly qs 5) and messed it up and got only 2/10 ish marks....so marks dropped steeply xD
Original post by Incarnation
Same I also have both units to do. It took me ages to get the hang of electricity and now I finally have, so unit 1 is pretty simple for me, but Unit 2 I'm so confused with the mechanics ill be lucky to get a B atm. I need serious help. How's unit 2 for you?

Unit 2 is pretty good for me, but I find unit 1 way easier.

I like wave and optics, and suvat equations :smile: But the other mechanics questions, I'm a bit iffy at :/

I think its stupid of our schools to do both units in June/may!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unit 2 is pretty good for me, but I find unit 1 way easier.

I like wave and optics, and suvat equations :smile: But the other mechanics questions, I'm a bit iffy at :/

I think its stupid of our schools to do both units in June/may!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would anyone be kind enough to explain the electricity rules?

I've written them all out, but whenever I attempt a question, it goes all wrong, and the rules don't seem to apply?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Has anyone got the unoffical markscheme for the jan 2013 unit 1 paper?
Reply 32
Would anyone be kind enough to explain the electricity rules?

I've written them all out, but whenever I attempt a question, it goes all wrong, and the rules don't seem to apply?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure!
The main thing you have to remember is that the sum of the p.d's in a circuit = the sum of the emf's. Sooo, if a question says the battery has an emf of 12V. And there are two components, one of which is 5V, the other would be 12-5=7V.

Then you need to remember in a parallel circuit the current splits according to the resistance in the particular branch (Voltage is the same in all branches). So just use I=V/R where R is resistance in the particular branch to get current in one branch. Then do the same for the other branches. Then all these added together is the terminal current.

lol they are the 2 main things to remember, the rest is just equations. :smile:
My Dad's a qualified Physics teacher, though he doesn't actually work as one. I suppose this helps me a lot. I got 112/120 in PHYA1 in January. I dunno if it'll be the same thing this time round but REALLY make sure you know your circuit and voltage rules (or 'electricity rules'), there were some really snazzy questions last time round!

My Dad told me a different theory that you can use for circuits that is good for thinking visually. He calls it the 'black line' theory and if anyone wants t, I'll get him to explain it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Loopset
Yeah sure!
The main thing you have to remember is that the sum of the p.d's in a circuit = the sum of the emf's. Sooo, if a question says the battery has an emf of 12V. And there are two components, one of which is 5V, the other would be 12-5=7V.

Then you need to remember in a parallel circuit the current splits according to the resistance in the particular branch (Voltage is the same in all branches). So just use I=V/R where R is resistance in the particular branch to get current in one branch. Then do the same for the other branches. Then all these added together is the terminal current.

lol they are the 2 main things to remember, the rest is just equations. :smile:

Thank you for clearing that up!

So, in a parallel circuit how would you work out the voltage across a particular resistor/component?

Posted from TSR Mobile
With the Jan 13 paper, how are you meant to work out the emf of the battery, as you cannot use any of the equations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Jimmy20002012
With the Jan 13 paper, how are you meant to work out the emf of the battery, as you cannot use any of the equations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Add up all the resistances in series (inc internal resistance) and multiply by the circuit current.
Original post by Jimmy20002012

Posted from TSR Mobile

EMF = V + IR

You know the resistance (calculated in part a) & the current (b,i) and you worked out the voltage going through the wires. You can quite simply add this onto the lamps voltage (12V), since the wires have negligible internal resistance.

EDIT: There are 2 wires, so you have to double the voltage !
(Since L is essentially doubled, resistance is double, R=pL(2)/A .... and therefore voltage is double :tongue: V=IR)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38

I looked harder and found it. :biggrin:
Thanks soo much for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending