The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Hey guys,

Will it be possible for someone to explain Jan 2013, 6b to me? Specifically the C-D part.
Reply 781
Original post by yajman
Hey guys,

Will it be possible for someone to explain Jan 2013, 6b to me? Specifically the C-D part.

Hello, it is asking you to find the pd between c and d.
8v for the fixed resistor adjacent to the thermistor.
And 6v to the top resistor in the midlle. Hence the potential "difference" is 8v - 6v = 2v
Reply 782
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much WordPad. I got the right answer, but couldn't quite work out how :tongue: Your answer's cleared that up. Best of luck if you're sitting the exam :biggrin:
Reply 783
Please can someone give me a list of all of the possible 6-markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Original post by simon105
Please can someone give me a list of all of the possible 6-markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey mate,

Someone on here produced a file for the long answers from June 2010 I think. All credit to whoever collated this.
Reply 786
I'm not sure about a list of possible 6-markers, but take a look at those answers and try and see where some overlap I guess. Hopefully, it won't be too taxing.
Reply 787
Original post by yajman
Hey mate,

Someone on here produced a file for the long answers from June 2010 I think. All credit to whoever collated this.

Brilliant, nice one mate.

Really worried about this exam. Could go a number of different ways. Hoping for lots on quantum phenomena.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 788
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369036641.825064.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369036651.560499.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369036666.817986.jpg
This is a list of past long answer questions with my annotations...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
Original post by Tuya
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369036641.825064.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369036651.560499.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369036666.817986.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! Do you think it's likely that the same question will come up again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 790
Original post by Tuya

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are pretty good annotations. Thanks for posting :smile:
Reply 791
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 mark scheme please? Thank you. :smile:
Reply 792
Original post by simon105
Cheers! Do you think it's likely that the same question will come up again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in the same words, but the concepts are pretty repetitive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 793
Original post by Zakee
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 mark scheme please? Thank you. :smile:

Look on page 2 towards the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 794
Original post by Tuya
Look on page 2 towards the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ever so much. :smile:
Does anyone know if you get marked down for not performing calculations exactly how the mark scheme wants you to perform a calculation?
For example if I write out two formulas eg V=(E/Q) and R=(V/I), combine them to form R=(E/IQ) and rearrange for a variable that I want, eg current, to give I=(E/RQ) and then substitute given values for E, R and Q to arrive at an answer. Would I be marked down if the mark scheme said to first work out the voltage from E and Q in one line of working for a mark, and then substitute this into the second equation, then rearrange it to give current for the second mark. Would I lose out on any marks or is it that if the examiner can follow your working and you arrive at the correct answer you get all the available marks?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 796
Original post by dunkdeboffin
Does anyone know if you get marked down for not performing calculations exactly how the mark scheme wants you to perform a calculation?
For example if I write out two formulas eg V=(E/Q) and R=(V/I), combine them to form R=(E/IQ) and rearrange for a variable that I want, eg current, to give I=(E/RQ) and then substitute given values for E, R and Q to arrive at an answer. Would I be marked down if the mark scheme said to first work out the voltage from E and Q in one line of working for a mark, and then substitute this into the second equation, then rearrange it to give current for the second mark. Would I lose out on any marks or is it that if the examiner can follow your working and you arrive at the correct answer you get all the available marks?

I was thinking the same thing. However on some of the papers, when it gives you a circuit and asks you to calculate v, I, R, etc they are always 1mark questions from my experience, and 1 markers obviously don't have marks for method so technically you could do it however you want. As for questions that actually have marks for method, I don't really know. I presume because the basis of your equation was still their main equation then they would have to mark you as correct but I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797
Original post by dunkdeboffin

As long as your method is correct and clear, you will get the marks. Doesn't matter how you go about it.
Original post by dada55
As long as your method is correct and clear, you will get the marks. Doesn't matter how you go about it.

Here's to hoping :smile:
Reply 799
I've come over the isotope definition a million times and I always get the two marks in the mark scheme for saying that "same proton number, different amount of neutrons" but I never know how to word it, I find it weird to write "something with the same proton number....". I hate writing "something" in exams as I've been told by many examiners not to do it. Does anyone know how you could word the definition of an isotope better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending