The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

What's a similarity between hadrons and leptons? The only thing I could think of was conservation of lepton number and conservation of baryon number. Also how many marks for you think I would lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1161
Original post by cyfer
This argument is so ****ing stupid.

Electrons and protons also have mass, we don't get crushed by them do we?

Plus photons have momentum, so they can still cause impact

Seriously. Don't argue something if you don't genuinely know the answer

Dude calm down! For our exam photons have no mass, might not be strictly true but they have no mass. Also your argument about electrons and protons; they do push down on us, that causes pressure
Reply 1162
Original post by amar96
Light are photons, If photons have mass we should be crushed by the weight of light... either they dont have mass or were all made of diamond hmmm

e=mc2 e=hf

m=hf/c2 ... you can approximate all photons as 'bullets' each carrying a mass of m = hf/c^2 and traveling at the speed of light.
Reply 1163
Original post by Punjabi2Chainz
What's a similarity between hadrons and leptons? The only thing I could think of was conservation of lepton number and conservation of baryon number. Also how many marks for you think I would lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both have antiparticles
Both have mass
Both decay/can interact via the weak force
Both (can) have (a discrete amount of) charge

Didn't get the conservation laws one though! Damn
Reply 1164
For all of a question I did 1 d.p./ 2s.f, because the data in the question was. However loads of my answers on my calculator gave me a 2 dp number with a 5 as the second dp, so I rounded all my answers up. Will I lose any marks for this?
Reply 1165

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both experience the weak interaction
Reply 1166

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said that both can interact via the electromagnetic force and gravity, as there exist hadrons and leptons with charge, and they all have mass.
Reply 1167
Original post by swagadon
the Oscilloscope question was 16V per division and 2ms per division, and it was out of 3 marks, does anyone know what the 3rd mark was for?

zeroing the oscilloscope ?
Original post by pilotluke1
Yeah that question for A I put a down quark.

i just put d... will i still get the mark?
Reply 1169
Original post by EllBailz
Dude calm down! For our exam photons have no mass, might not be strictly true but they have no mass. Also your argument about electrons and protons; they do push down on us, that causes pressure

Haha sorry.

Yes they don't have mass. They have momentum. I never said they have mass.

I have no idea where you're going with electrons and protons
Original post by EllBailz
Both experience the weak interaction

No they don't. Hadrons -strong interaction. Leptons-weak interaction. :confused:
Reply 1171
Original post by Goods
zeroing the oscilloscope ?

Turning timebase on?
Adjusting y/x gain?
Connecting oscilloscope input to a power source?
Putting oscilloscope in parallel with resistor?
Reply 1172
Original post by cyfer
2. One for working, one for the answer

I hope to God you're trolling. How did you even attempt this paper with such an ignorant outlook?
No they don't have electrons or protons.
No, there is a different equation for the momentum of a photon, based on planck's constant

the photon is governed NOT by its mass or its velocity but by its relation to frequency e=hf so its so called 'momentum' does not create the impact but the frequency of light it is coming with
Reply 1173
Original post by StalkeR47
No they don't. Hadrons -strong interaction. Leptons-weak interaction. :confused:

Yes they do.

Hadrons DECAY via the weak force, so they experience it. They interact with the strong force though.

Leptons only interact via the weak force.
Original post by swagadon
the Oscilloscope question was 16V per division and 2ms per division, and it was out of 3 marks, does anyone know what the 3rd mark was for?

For a previous 6 mark oscilloscope question you got a mark for saying 'connect it to the source' so I put that. Don't think it was right though :/
Original post by cyfer
Both have antiparticles
Both have mass
Both decay/can interact via the weak force
Both (can) have (a discrete amount of) charge

Didn't get the conservation laws one though! Damn

Oh my God, why couldn't I think of that. Do you think I'll get any marks for the conservation laws??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1176
Original post by StalkeR47

They can actually decay via the weak nuclear force. There's nothing on the spec about it, but the weak interaction acts on all fermions - particle with half integer spin, so that's leptons, neutrinos, hadrons etc.
Reply 1177
i think it was mainly for the time base setting being 2ms/div and possibly for saying time period of 2 waves is 20ms
Original post by cyfer
Yes they do.

Hadrons DECAY via the weak force, so they experience it. They interact with the strong force though.

Leptons only interact via the weak force.

Now it is clear. I thought you said they both experience the same force.
Original post by GeneralOJB
They can actually decay via the weak nuclear force. There's nothing on the spec about it, but the weak interaction acts on all fermions - particle with half integer spin, so that's leptons, neutrinos, hadrons etc.

I put both feel weak force too...not sure if it will get the mark though :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending