The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Somebody's probably already asked this but i cba to read all the comments so what was the answer to the first part of the last question? I got 0.00006 reccuring
Hi, for similarity between hadrons and leptons. Can you say that hadrons are not fundamental particles and are made from quarks. Whereas leptons are fundamental particles. Also they both experience the weak interaction & gravity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by g.k.galloway
Cool thanks guys...I've just got to pray it drops a bit! really need 114!!!

Why do you specifically need 114 may I ask?
Original post by mastermdc
Hi, for similarity between hadrons and leptons. Can you say that hadrons are not fundamental particles and are made from quarks. Whereas leptons are fundamental particles. Also they both experience the weak interaction & gravity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you did fine for that question. I don't know about the gravity one but the rest is good.
Original post by mastermdc

Posted from TSR Mobile

First point is not a similarity.. They both do not experience weak, lepton does but hadron experiences strong however, hadron decay into proton through weak.
Reply 1265
yeah they are both affected by the gravitational force as they both have mass so that is okay
Reply 1266
I thought quarks are fundamental?
Didn't find it too bad, messed up last Q and the first Q didn't see the ionisation bit>>
Reply 1267
the exam was different, not necessarily hard though. and because of that it kind of sucks because i lost 10 marks garenteed because i ran out of time trying to structure my long answer questions ... not to mention the rest that where a bit dodgy.
i know i messed up on the type of interaction bit at the start ... i dont know why but i wrote strong. what the hell was going through my head. but i think the particle physics bits went well.
it was lucky i was going over AC on the weekend. but i wish i studied more. i made some realy stupid mistakes. and everyone is getting a different specific charge to me mine something *10^7 and everyone else is getting to the 6 .... :s-smilie:
this is going terribly. at least my electricity is better than it was in the mocks but i will be lucky if i even come out with a B.
oh how i wish my isa was better. gonna get full marks on unit 2 and c2 (maths) .... drumming it out over the next few weeks.

is it just me or is every exam board mixing the exams up a little. there all slightly different to the typical exam. (m1 and the last question, this one, ..... ima do some abstract type questions to prepare and focus on some of the little details for the upcoming exams i feel like this is going to be a trend this summer)

good luck on unit 2 everyone!!!
Original post by Mr.Suhk
1) 20 p, 28 n, 18 e
2) + 3.2 x 10 ^-19 J
3) 3.99 x 10 ^ 6 C/kg
4) feynman stuff ( d quark, W+ Boson, positron, electron neutrino)
5) weak interaction
6) B
7) mass/charge/range etc
8) I did baryon number and electron lepton number conservation but there are mpre
9) big 6 marker, pretty easy
10) particle/ antiparticle: i did electron and positron and said charge was opposite

11) max and range of KE: photons energy dependant upon freq. as E= hf. Ekmax = hf - phi thereofore max KE exists. Range of ke's because more energy needed to remove deeper electrons etc.
12) prove 1.8eV (pretty easy)
13) what is threshold freq. : i got like 4.4 x 10 ^14 Hz
14)decreasing frequency decreases max KE of emitted electrons as by equation or by photon energy route, your choice
15) Double intensity doubles number of photons per second which doubles number of emitted electrons per second

16) peak to peak = 128V
17) peak = 64V
18) Vrms = 45 V
19) freq. = 100 Hz
20) horizontal line at 45V
21) time base: 2ms/div y sensitivity: 16V/div dunno about 3rd mark

22) 4.2 x 2.5 = 6.3V
23) 12- 6.3 = 5.7V
24) 5.7 / 2 = 2.85A
25) 4.2 - 2.85 = 1.35 A
26) R = 5.7 / 1.35 = 4.2
27) I said total R is 1.4 but if it incuded internal resistance then it was 2.9 ohms
28)power dissipated: comes to total of 50.4V, SAME AS POWER GOING IN FROM BATTERY, none lost altogether therefore conserved

29) current = 6/ (50 + 35 + 5 ) x 1000 = 6.7 x 10 ^-5 A
30) V = 0.33V
31) increas intensity decreases toatl resistance which increases total current thereofre voltemeter value is greater (alternatives possible)
32) 30000 ohms

What was question 30?
for the oscilloscope question i completely misread it and got the two values 8 + 10 the other way around so i read it as 8 horizontal and 10 vertical. Would i get any marks for correct use of method?
Reply 1270
Original post by StalkeR47
First point is not a similarity.. They both do not experience weak, lepton does but hadron experiences strong however, hadron decay into proton through weak.

If hadrons decay to protons through the weak force, then hadrons experience the weak force.
Original post by StalkeR47

I'm pretty sure the Weak interaction affects everything, hadrons experience both.
Reply 1272
30) what was the reading on the voltemeter connected to R : current x 5000
Reply 1273
Original post by chubuking
for the oscilloscope question i completely misread it and got the two values 8 + 10 the other way around so i read it as 8 horizontal and 10 vertical. Would i get any marks for correct use of method?

sadly i did the same so my time base was okay but the y value was wrong- hopefully i get a method mark
Original post by Blayney
If hadrons decay to protons through the weak force, then hadrons experience the weak force.

OMG! NO. hadrons so not experience weak force. they experience strong force.
Reply 1275
Apparently quite a few people for my school and a close school found this really difficult, maybe lower boundaries than people are saying?
Original post by NedStark
I'm pretty sure the Weak interaction affects everything, hadrons experience both.

No. Hadrons interact through strong interaction.
Reply 1277
what are you on about- they can experience more than one interaction - the weak affects all, strong only if made up of quarks
For the last question, any marks for 4.5/current? If you showed all the working? :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1279
Original post by g.k.galloway
Cool thanks guys...I've just got to pray it drops a bit! really need 114!!!
Why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending