Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acoustic guitar - self teaching? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can play the acoustic guitar but only by reading chords not actually music. However i would like to get graded and i believe to do this i need to learn to read music. So how long would you suggests it takes to get to say grade 5? Thanks for any help!

It's worth looking into the actual exams and exam boards you would be using, as they don't all require you to read standard notation.

The biggest instrument exam boards are Guildhall and Associated Board (ABRSM), but as far as I know, they only do classical guitar. Rockschool just do electric and bass guitar grades, and RGT do a variety of guitar exams (and are the only board I know who do specifically acoustic grade exams.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blessedchild)
    I can play the acoustic guitar but only by reading chords not actually music. However i would like to get graded and i believe to do this i need to learn to read music. So how long would you suggests it takes to get to say grade 5? Thanks for any help!
    To what end? Unless you ultimately want to teach or join a classical group, there's not much point. There's nothing out there you can't learn using guitar tabs and a few technique practices.

Check out ultimate-guitar.com for all sorts of lessons!

ReputationRep:
    Guitar is a relatively easy instrument so grade five, say a year?

jojotheflower, meow, over and out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.