Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    guys i'm really interested in learning programming properly to make apps but im rather stuck in that i cant choose between apple(which i'd prefer) and android.

i'm more familiar with apple and i feel theres less competition but i DONT have a mac..which is basically the main thing holding me back.
    Whereas android is almost completely free but more difficult to be successful at.

seeing as which ever one i choose will involve a great deal of work..any advise? i dont wanna make wrong decision!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If your aim is to learn programming, then I don't think it particularly matters. Most of the skills you learn from one would apply to the other.

ReputationRep:
    Like you said, you'll need a Mac AND a development license (I think) to make iOS apps. If I was you, I'd go for Android and see how things turn out. If it all goes well then you should consider forking out for iOS necessities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyPsy)
    Like you said, you'll need a Mac AND a development license (I think) to make iOS apps. If I was you, I'd go for Android and see how things turn out. If it all goes well then you should consider forking out for iOS necessities.
    ^^^this^^^

And I say that as an unashamed apple fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    ^^^this^^^

And I say that as an unashamed apple fan
    Ok cool, i might have gone for apple if you thought it was really worth it but it seems its the safer bet with android.thanks. Let the java programming begin!

ReputationRep:
    The first app you write is not going to achieve widespread adoption. Go with Android - it's free and doesn't require anything proprietary.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could learn to make web based software and a framework budler such as PhoneGap to make native apps. iOS is renowned for apps but you could just pick up an iPod Touch at a later date or even just use software simulators.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is relevant but today I used Latitude, which I think is android, to let someone know where I was so they could pick me up by car. It told them I was 10 miles north from where I was :indiff:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.