Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to ask for help at the doctors tomorrow? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had depression since I was 11, and now I'm 21. It's affecting everything in my life, school, college, work, relationships etc. I get intense paranoia and anxiety too. A lot of of my family has had it at one point to. Now I'm at the end of my tether, where I could easily just fall asleep and not wake up, as it would be easier for everyone around me.

I want to go my GP tomorrow to finally get it sorted, but I'm worried they'll just assume it's attention seeking, I'm making it up or laugh at me. What do I do or say?

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt that your GP would be so cruel and I think medics take mental health much more seriously these days. Just explain to your GP clearly how you feel and how long you have been suffering, they may suggest counseling, medication or both depending on your situation. But don't be scared, go and be honest with your doctor and I'm sure he or she will help xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmuers)
    I've had depression since I was 11, and now I'm 21. It's affecting everything in my life, school, college, work, relationships etc. I get intense paranoia and anxiety too. A lot of of my family has had it at one point to. Now I'm at the end of my tether, where I could easily just fall asleep and not wake up, as it would be easier for everyone around me.

I want to go my GP tomorrow to finally get it sorted, but I'm worried they'll just assume it's attention seeking, I'm making it up or laugh at me. What do I do or say?
    Go for it, good luck!

You are not attention seeking, so please don't think this.

GP's are supposed to be proffesional and I'm sure your GP will help you and make sure you resolve your issues.

It must have been so difficult to have gone through so much anxiety, paranoia and depression as you describe for 10 years without proffesional guidance.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you are able to move on

ReputationRep:
    They won't think you're attention seeking at all! You'll be surprised at how understanding they are about these things! Even though you're worried about what they'll think, think about how good it's going to be once you've got it all off your chest and you're getting the support you need and want! Don't be worried, it will be worth it! Just tell them how you're feeling and that you think you might be depressed, they'll take it from there!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.