The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TenOfThem
One issue with applying for bankruptcy is his illegal activities

He does not have all of the assets that he fraudulently acquired ... how is he going to explain this

They would probably investigate the whereabouts of the other phones he doesn't but didn't acquire the phones fraudulently. He purchased the phones and has legitimate contracts with the phone company. The fraud would have been the removal of the record of the contracts from the company, but as this never happened, there is no fraud (except for the fraud committed against him, but that wouldn't be relevant to his bankruptcy).

If he does declare bankruptcy and they seize his phones, whilst it may look strange, he doesn't have to disclose details of why he has so many phones. The fact he doesn't have them all might be a concern, but even if they knew the truth, all they could do is alert the police and as there was no crime, its not going to be a problem.
Original post by samus82

The fraud would have been the removal of the record of the contracts from the company, but as this never happened, there is no fraud

Fair enough
Original post by samus82
They would probably investigate the whereabouts of the other phones he doesn't but didn't acquire the phones fraudulently. He purchased the phones and has legitimate contracts with the phone company. The fraud would have been the removal of the record of the contracts from the company, but as this never happened, there is no fraud (except for the fraud committed against him, but that wouldn't be relevant to his bankruptcy).

If he does declare bankruptcy and they seize his phones, whilst it may look strange, he doesn't have to disclose details of why he has so many phones. The fact he doesn't have them all might be a concern, but even if they knew the truth, all they could do is alert the police and as there was no crime, its not going to be a problem.

Ive never met a 19 year old bankrupt.....LOL.....yet to this day.
Oh dear. Sounds like you've gotten yourself into a right pickle! I genuinely feel sorry for you. You made an unfortunate mistake, probably on impulse. It was one of those situations where it really was too good to be true. There is no point telling you that it was silly, you shouldn't have taken out the contracts etc etc because that isn't going to help you now! I can definitely understand how scared you must feel. £4300 is a lot of money right now. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the law but I do know that the phone companies will not simply write it off - you will have to pay for these phones one way or another. I have a few suggestions...

1. Could any of your friends/family take one of the iPhones off you? Say if they were looking to get an iPhone contract anyways. Either buy it from you or have the contract transferred to them. Maybe offer to pay £10 a month or something so that's an incentive for them to take the contract - they save a bit of money they were going to spend anyway and get their friend out of his pickle. If they wanted to buy it off you but couldn't afford to pay for it in one go, they could pay you back monthly and this money could go towards paying the phone bill.

2. Try and get some legal help. I know you are scared but from what other posters have written, you have not actually committed fraud - just simply taken out five phone contracts. I wouldn't go to the police, but maybe speak to a solicitor who deals with this area and see what your options are. You can usually get a free half an hour consultation with a solicitor. Following this, you are eligible for legal aid if you are a student or on low income (I assume you are on JSA?). You'd be surprised, sometimes those working in the law profession can find loop holes that open a door for you.

3. Let go of your pride (I know =() and tell your parents. If they are able to pay it off for you then this replaces all of the above hassle and all you have to part with is a little dignity. Yes, they will be disappointed/angered and you will feel ashamed, but this is much better than bailiffs turning up at your door - right? You can always pay them back over time, and if you can't afford to start paying them back straight away you can repay them in other ways. Start doing things around the house - cleaning, washing up, cooking dinner, bringing them breakfast, tea, coffee etc. No doubt your parents will be annoyed but at the end of the day they are your parents, they are human and they know you and love you. They know that people make mistakes and have probably witnessed you make them throughout your life and now it is time to face the biggest mistake.

3 is my preferred option.

I know you want to do this by yourself and keep your pride, but honestly, I don't think you can. Tell your parents.

Good luck.
Reply 84
Thanks everyone you guys are really helpful! But what i had to do was get my involved i know it was hard but it was only way i managed to cancel one phone contract so far costing me £840 out of £1,008 im going to call the other ones to do the same. (I im cancelling the contracts which i do not have the phone for first) so the other 2 phones are normal contract which i can give to a family member or sell it n pay my left over contracts.
Reply 85
Original post by LoganYR
what do you mean ?

He means are you mentally impaired?
Youdo realise sticking the money in another account doesnt mean they wont get it? Theyll get a court order and have it off of you...
Reply 87
Firstly i'd like to point out that you need to get a grip and grow up, crime is not the way to prosperity.

Secondly i'd like to say how alarmed i am that you appear to blaming the person who swindled you, while he is bad, you were incompetent and naive and are rightfully paying the consequences.

My advice is to sell them and pay off as many of the contracts that you have left as possible, this will leave you with one or two with which you go to parents or get a job.
Original post by Rakas21
Firstly i'd like to point out that you need to get a grip and grow up, crime is not the way to prosperity.

Secondly i'd like to say how alarmed i am that you appear to blaming the person who swindled you, while he is bad, you were incompetent and naive and are rightfully paying the consequences.

My advice is to sell them and pay off as many of the contracts that you have left as possible, this will leave you with one or two with which you go to parents or get a job.

Kids trying to be Tony Soprano here, he just wanted a bit of action :wink:

I didn't think there were people in this world that fickle.
Reply 89
Original post by SloaneRanger
Kids trying to be Tony Soprano here, he just wanted a bit of action :wink:

I didn't think there were people in this world that fickle.

Sadly i have come to learn never to underestimate the incompetence of other people.

If OP wants to have a chance at free money he should become brilliant at poker and qualify online.

At this stage OP really needs to get a job, it would enrich his character so much.
Original post by Rakas21
Sadly i have come to learn never to underestimate the incompetence of other people.

If OP wants to have a chance at free money he should become brilliant at poker and qualify online.

At this stage OP really needs to get a job, it would enrich his character so much.

I would second his application for spot on "The Apprentice" :cool:
You cannot solve this yourself. Even if you cancelled all the contracts and sold all the phones you would still be hundreds of pounds short. If you do not have any income you are not going to be able to agree monthly payments the phone companies are happy with. You need to TELL YOUR PARENTS.

If your parents don't find out now, they will find out when you start receiving debt collection letters, when debt collectors call your house, when debt collectors visit your house and when you start being served with county court summons.

Some people have suggested a loan. This is not realistic. No bank is going to give you a loan when you don't have any income even if your credit rating is fine. If you did take a loan, you would simply be dealing with the bank's debt collectors when you default rather than the mobile phone companies. If you have contacted the mobile phone companies and cannot cancel the contracts I only see three ways out of this: bankruptcy, an IVA or your parents paying it for you. If your parents don't pay your credit rating is going to be shot for the next six years - speak to nationaldebtline.
Original post by jacketpotato
You cannot solve this yourself. Even if you cancelled all the contracts and sold all the phones you would still be hundreds of pounds short. If you do not have any income you are not going to be able to agree monthly payments the phone companies are happy with. You need to TELL YOUR PARENTS.

If your parents don't find out now, they will find out when you start receiving debt collection letters, when debt collectors call your house, when debt collectors visit your house and when you start being served with county court summons.

Some people have suggested a loan. This is not realistic. No bank is going to give you a loan when you don't have any income even if your credit rating is fine. If you did take a loan, you would simply be dealing with the bank's debt collectors when you default rather than the mobile phone companies. If you have contacted the mobile phone companies and cannot cancel the contracts I only see three ways out of this: bankruptcy, an IVA or your parents paying it for you. If your parents don't pay your credit rating is going to be shot for the next six years - speak to nationaldebtline.

I think personally he should find a decent solicitor, pro bono Freshfields type who will stick up for him and file "misselling/unethical selling", stretch the Consumer Credit Act 1974, on the fact he is mentally challenged. Tie this thing up in litigation for years. Imagine his parents having to go to court to file an interpleader, after they seize a vehicle.... its good life skills - this kid needs some.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LoganYR
Thanks everyone you guys are really helpful! But what i had to do was get my involved.

You missed out a vital word in that sentence. You got your what involved? Parents? Or?

How's it going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by WeirdLittleO
You missed out a vital word in that sentence. You got your what involved? Parents? Or?

How's it going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops i meant i got my parents involed well my mum n older brother. I sorted it out what i have done is this . I have transfered alot of money to my bank account to cancel 2 contracts and i gave a contract to my brother n he is paying it normal and i have one left which i think ill keep for myself or sell it still don't about it. Im out of the situation thankfully learnt my lesson n this has taught me an important thing in life. I'm now waiting for jobs to reply to me hopefully i get one soon so i can start paying my mum and older brother back. And thanks again to everyone who helped me !
Original post by LoganYR
Oops i meant i got my parents involed well my mum n older brother. I sorted it out what i have done is this . I have transfered alot of money to my bank account to cancel 2 contracts and i gave a contract to my brother n he is paying it normal and i have one left which i think ill keep for myself or sell it still don't about it. Im out of the situation thankfully learnt my lesson n this has taught me an important thing in life. I'm now waiting for jobs to reply to me hopefully i get one soon so i can start paying my mum and older brother back. And thanks again to everyone who helped me !

That's good :smile: definitely the right thing to do. Nothing in life comes for free!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This scam makes no sense... :confused:
Original post by Solid.Snake
This scam makes no sense... :confused:

Thats what makes it even more hilarious, someone falling for it :wink:.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Thats what makes it even more hilarious, someone falling for it :wink:.

Agreed! :yep:
Reply 99
Original post by WeirdLittleO
That's good :smile: definitely the right thing to do. Nothing in life comes for free!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks and yep was only way out now i have a better score lmao. N yep now i know haha

Latest