Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why is it socially acceptable for women to gaup at men??

A visual example of this would be (all be it ficticous) this:

its a longer version of the one on tv, I cant find it on youtube though.

Yet when men do gaup at women, its seemingly creepy?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, but that advert is disgustingly cringe worthy.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    In a way, because when men stare at a woman and make sexualised comments about her, there's a slight threat under it to the woman. I am NOT saying, at all, that all men would rape a woman. I'm saying that many women do worry about that when they're leered at, when almost certainly they're not in any danger. But the open acknowledgment of sexualisation can be frightening.

There's more danger from men than there is from women, just because of physical strength.

But that advert really is bloody awful. I've wondered that myself about it.

*OBVIOUSLY I don't think women don't make comments or are crude or whatever. They do, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Personally if i found a woman gawping at me i'd be creeped out.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I really wish girls would have a bit more respect for our boundaries sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    In a way, because when men stare at a woman and make sexualised comments about her, there's a slight threat under it to the woman. I am NOT saying, at all, that all men would rape a woman. I'm saying that many women do worry about that when they're leered at, when almost certainly they're not in any danger. But the open acknowledgment of sexualisation can be frightening.

There's more danger from men than there is from women, just because of physical strength.

But that advert really is bloody awful. I've wondered that myself about it.
    A big part of it as well is that girls feel uncomfortable when men they do not find sexually attractive leer at them.

The amount of times I have seen "an old man looked at me funny" on everyday sexism beggars belief. Girls are just up themselves. Even when women I do not find attractive are suggestive around me I don't take the attitude "how dare they objectify me", I just take it as a compliment.

Some girls really need to learn how to take even a crude compliment and be amicable but at the same time say "sorry mate, not into you".

ReputationRep:
    The problem isn't with the advert, the problem lies in the fact some girls don't get the 'its ok to look but don't touch' rule. I don't mind when girls look at me, girls don't really mind when I look at them. It shouldn't matter whether a guy is sexually attractive or not, you don't become a creep by appreciating someone beautiful.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    A big part of it as well is that girls feel uncomfortable when men they do not find sexually attractive leer at them.

The amount of times I have seen "an old man looked at me funny" on everyday sexism beggars belief. Girls are just up themselves. Even when women I do not find attractive are suggestive around me I don't take the attitude "how dare they objectify me", I just take it as a compliment.

Some girls really need to learn how to take even a crude compliment and be amicable but at the same time say "sorry mate, not into you".
    I think it depends on the "compliment". I agree that many girls would have more of a problem with it if the guy is unattractive, but some of the comments on EverydaySexism are bloody awful.

As happened to me today: I was out in town and heard one guy say to another: "Wonder if she likes it rough?" as I went past them. They were pretty cute, both of them, but I still found it disgusting.

It's less a case of women needing to take a compliment, and men* needing just to not say crude things to people they don't know.

*Not in any way implying that women do not act crudely towards men, just that this is the topic at hand.

ReputationRep:
    Understood but that advert would not actually happen in real life..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    As happened to me today: I was out in town and heard one guy say to another: "Wonder if she likes it rough?" as I went past them. They were pretty cute, both of them, but I still found it disgusting.

It's less a case of women needing to take a compliment, and men* needing just to not say crude things to people they don't know.

*Not in any way implying that women do not act crudely towards men, just that this is the topic at hand.
    Yeah, that isn't a compliment. That is very out of line.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah, that isn't a compliment. That is very out of line.
    Yeah, it was a little frightening. If it had been night time, it would have been worse.

Still, I get that there are differences between things like that and genuine compliments from unattractive guys.

ReputationRep:

I agree 100% even when someone who I dont find attractive, gives me a compliment i feel really happy. It makes me feel good, **** knows how im gonna react when a girl I find attractive compliments me.

Its like I feel that attractive guys can get away with a lot more when it comes to the opposite sex, they can say things a lot more closer to the line of not acceptable and get away with it because they are attractive. But that says more about the girls than the guys anyway.

Its just if it was the other way around its like "Oh dont look at me, you fool"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.