Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

By-election lack of options - Labour, Lib-Dems, Neo Nazi. Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    There's a by-election in my area today. I wanted to vote, but I don't like any of the candidates. I used to vote for the Lib-Dems, but after their track record in the coalition I can no longer support them. I don't like Labour either, especially after their behaviour in the retrospective workfare law change vote.

My only other option is an independent. I'd never heard of him, so I did some online research and found pictures of him posing with guns in front of Nazi flags and a picture of Hitler. He's a white nationalist who wants an all-white Britain, and he's a big fan of eugenics. He's also anti-gay and anti-charity. Scary thing is that he won nearly 26 percent of the vote last time, and with the lack of options available, he may do better this time around. How many people research their candidates, after all? He sells himself as a hardworking farmer and a community-spirited type of bloke.

I was surprised at the lack of other candidates. No Conservatives, no UKIP, no Green Party.

It's annoying, really. I think it's important to vote, but I can't tick the box for any of them, as it doesn't feel right. Have you ever been in that position? If so, what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    You should spoil your ballot. That way you've exercised your right to vote, but made clear your lack of support for each candidate.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tjf8)
    You should spoil your ballot. That way you've exercised your right to vote, but made clear your lack of support for each candidate.
    Thanks! I've considered that, but will it make any difference? Will they pay any attention to it? I assume spoiled ballots simply get thrown out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Thanks! I've considered that, but will it make any difference? Will they pay any attention to it? I assume spoiled ballots simply get thrown out?
    I think they count them anyway.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I think they count them anyway.
    Excellent, thanks! I'll go and do that. Show that I am bothered enough to turn up, but don't approve of the (lack of) options.

ReputationRep:
    There's a by-election in my area today. I wanted to vote, but I don't like any of the candidates. I used to vote for the Lib-Dems, but after their track record in the coalition I can no longer support them. I don't like Labour either, especially after their behaviour in the retrospective workfare law change vote.

My only other option is an independent. I'd never heard of him, so I did some online research and found pictures of him posing with guns in front of Nazi flags and a picture of Hitler. He's a white nationalist who wants an all-white Britain, and he's a big fan of eugenics. He's also anti-gay and anti-charity. Scary thing is that he won nearly 26 percent of the vote last time, and with the lack of options available, he may do better this time around. How many people research their candidates, after all? He sells himself as a hardworking farmer and a community-spirited type of bloke.

I was surprised at the lack of other candidates. No Conservatives, no UKIP, no Green Party.

It's annoying, really. I think it's important to vote, but I can't tick the box for any of them, as it doesn't feel right. Have you ever been in that position? If so, what did you do?
    Why not Labour?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ApresAlkan)
    Why not Labour?
    Iraq, Atos, an increasing intrusion on privacy, to name a few things. And more recently they abstained in the vote to retrospectively change the law on workfare.

Call me jaded, but it seems to me like the big three parties are all in it together. There isn't a whole lot of difference anymore. No matter who you vote for out of them, you get more of the same.

I'm disappointed that the Green Party didn't run this time. If they had, I would have voted for them. I don't agree with everything they stand for, but voting for Labour/Tories/Lib Dem hasn't done much good.

As it was, the only alternative was a racist who even Stormfront thinks is nuts .

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Labour by any stetch, but I'd still vote for them over the candidate you describe.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nick100)
    I don't like Labour by any stetch, but I'd still vote for them over the candidate you describe.
    Oh believe me, that candidate most certainly did not get my vote!

I did ponder voting for one of the other two to help keep him out. I really did. But it simply did not feel right to vote for anyone who I don't trust.

Of course, should creepy candidate be elected, I'll be banging my head on my desk. Because it would mean that a) people don't research who they're voting for or b) they did research who they're voting for, and they decided that what they really want is a homophobic, racist Hitler fan, which would be worse.

I reckon Labour will win, though.

ReputationRep:

You better vote Labour or I die of hunger.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the count last year, they apparently send them somewhere and they get logged down. Amazingly some people actually wrote the reasons why they spoil the ballot and one person gave a really detailed reason.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not happy with the choices then feel free to stand as an independent yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.