The Student Room Group

Funding when starting a new uni.

I'm a little confused.

I want to leave my university. I'm a first year, and due to a multitude of reasons I just want out of my uni and to resit my first year again at a new uni.

How will this effect my funding?

I believe I have reasons to explain why I struggled at uni this year, but I don't think they qualify as extenuating circumstances.

Will I have to pay my first year funds at the new uni, or will I have to pay them in my third year? Or will I have to pay them at all if there are reasonable grounds as to why I left this uni? There doesn't seem to be information on this subject.

Do university's do funding for those students who re-sit a year but end up achieving significantly after that?

I'm so confused with it all. To me, common sense says that SF will pay for the first two years at the new uni but wont pay for the third. So would I have to apply for a bank loan? Or would I need to do it part time and get a smaller loan I can pay off with my earnings from a part time job?

So confused!!
Original post by letitia
I'm a little confused.

I want to leave my university. I'm a first year, and due to a multitude of reasons I just want out of my uni and to resit my first year again at a new uni.

How will this effect my funding?

I believe I have reasons to explain why I struggled at uni this year, but I don't think they qualify as extenuating circumstances.

Will I have to pay my first year funds at the new uni, or will I have to pay them in my third year? Or will I have to pay them at all if there are reasonable grounds as to why I left this uni? There doesn't seem to be information on this subject.

Do university's do funding for those students who re-sit a year but end up achieving significantly after that?

I'm so confused with it all. To me, common sense says that SF will pay for the first two years at the new uni but wont pay for the third. So would I have to apply for a bank loan? Or would I need to do it part time and get a smaller loan I can pay off with my earnings from a part time job?

So confused!!

The rule with student finance is "length of your course + 1 - previous study".

If you're in your first year of university EVER. As in, you have never studied at university before now, then you will be as follows...(I assume you're on a 3 year degree).... 3 years of the course + 1 extra year - 1 year you're on now = 3 years of funding.

In lay mans terms, you have the length of your course which will be funded. So you cannot be funded for a re-sit year or anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
The rule with student finance is "length of your course + 1 - previous study".

3 years of the course + 1 extra year - 1 year you're on now = 3 years of funding.

So I get three years + 1? What's the point of a +1 If I can't resit? Or is that there should you want to change courses completely after the first year?

This is my first year ever, I've never studied at uni level before this.
Original post by letitia
So I get three years + 1? What's the point of a +1 If I can't resit? Or is that there should you want to change courses completely after the first year?

This is my first year ever, I've never studied at uni level before this.

OK so you get the length of your course + 1 year OK...

You want to do a new degree...

So, on the basis that you get the length of your course funded... and you want to do a new degree - you will be funded for the length of your new degree.

As you get an extra 1 year of funding for a 'false start' or a 'gift year' as people call it - the year you are doing NOW will be classed as your +1 year.

If you carried on with your current course, and don't re-start elsewhere, you will get that + 1 year for a re-sit or something, but as you want to re-start elsewhere you won't get the + 1 year as you're using it at the moment.

Another way to look at it is... if your course is currently 3 years long and you want to go on to another 3 year course.... you would get 3 years for your course + 1 extra year minus previous study.

So it'd be 3 years for the new course + 1 extra year minus one year for the year you're doing now. Which would leave you with just 3 years.
Reply 4
Original post by Knalchemist
OK so you get the length of your course + 1 year OK...

You want to do a new degree...

So, on the basis that you get the length of your course funded... and you want to do a new degree - you will be funded for the length of your new degree.

As you get an extra 1 year of funding for a 'false start' or a 'gift year' as people call it - the year you are doing NOW will be classed as your +1 year.

If you carried on with your current course, and don't re-start elsewhere, you will get that + 1 year for a re-sit or something, but as you want to re-start elsewhere you won't get the + 1 year as you're using it at the moment.

Another way to look at it is... if your course is currently 3 years long and you want to go on to another 3 year course.... you would get 3 years for your course + 1 extra year minus previous study.

So it'd be 3 years for the new course + 1 extra year minus one year for the year you're doing now. Which would leave you with just 3 years.

So I'm fine to start a different course at a different uni, but I wouldn't be able to restart that same course at a different uni... I'm so sorry it's been a long few days and I'm barely able to explain everything to anyone in person, so computing basic maths is a no go. Sorry :frown:
Original post by letitia
So I'm fine to start a different course at a different uni, but I wouldn't be able to restart that same course at a different uni... I'm so sorry it's been a long few days and I'm barely able to explain everything to anyone in person, so computing basic maths is a no go. Sorry :frown:

Haha, it's fine!

Basically you have enough funding for the length of a new course. You won't be able to re-sit, or start a degree again after that, without having to self fund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending