Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if someone could tell me how to close a window and return to where I was before? I can only either hit the windows button and go back to the page with all the apps, or swipe it down and do the same. But say I'm on desktop, I've got the internet open and I open up my pictures and double click a picture to see it larger- it then fills the whole screen and there's no way to go back to my desktop and what I was doing by just CLOSING it, rather I have to go back to the app page and then click on desktop. Is there a way round this?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Windows 8.

As you can see Microsoft released a disjointed mess.

ReputationRep:
    Move you mouse to the top left hand corner, then down and it brings up the multitasking pane. And windows 8 is not a 'disjointed mess' it's just different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Move you mouse to the top left hand corner, then down and it brings up the multitasking pane. And windows 8 is not a 'disjointed mess' it's just different.
    Thanks for that, it does make it easier- but doesn't that mean I'm going to have a gazillion applications running at once and slowing my computer down? I kind of want to actually close stuff when I'm done with it. I dunno why they couldn't just have a little cross at the top of each thing like old windows, it's not like it's taking up much space :/

ReputationRep:
    When you go to the left hand corner and see the sidebar thing, if you right click on the app it comes up with a drop down list where you can click close Took me ages to get to grips with it too, but I really like it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Thanks for that, it does make it easier- but doesn't that mean I'm going to have a gazillion applications running at once and slowing my computer down? I kind of want to actually close stuff when I'm done with it. I dunno why they couldn't just have a little cross at the top of each thing like old windows, it's not like it's taking up much space :/
    Swiping it down does close the app, or you can right click on the app in the multitasking pane. But the windows 8 apps take up so little space that it's really not worth it. When your not running an app (not a program) it does not use up CPU power or very much memory.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Windows 8 looks so tacky it looks as if it's been thrown together by an armature at the last minute

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had the preview and it's now expired. My computer know restarts all the time. I spoke to Microsoft and they said I has to either buy windows 8 or windows 7 I don't want to buy any thing and I don't think I should have to. Can any one help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a fairly experienced techie familiar with all versions of Windows and several versions of Linux and Android, I spent about five minutes trying to figure out how to close things in Windows 8, followed by ten minutes crying about how bad the Operating System was, and a further ten minutes uninstalling the damn thing and reverting to Windows 7 Ultimate..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upper Echelons)
    As a fairly experienced techie familiar with all versions of Windows and several versions of Linux and Android, I spent about five minutes trying to figure out how to close things in Windows 8, followed by ten minutes crying about how bad the Operating System was, and a further ten minutes uninstalling the damn thing and reverting to Windows 7 Ultimate..
    Do you know how to remove the preview. I hate windows8 it's dreadful it looks so unprofessional

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alt-F4 seems to work the same way as all versions of windows since at least 3.1 in that it seems to close the app.

Yes windows 8 is different but then if nothing ever changed it would be a boring world and we wouldn't have advanced as far as we have now.

(Original post by Benjie)
    I had the preview and it's now expired. My computer know restarts all the time. I spoke to Microsoft and they said I has to either buy windows 8 or windows 7 I don't want to buy any thing and I don't think I should have to. Can any one help.
    Hey, I've got this cool job I think you'll love doing, but I'm not going to pay you because I don't think I should have to. That seems fair right ? Microsoft have to make money somehow to pay for the years of developers time to create their products. If you don't want to spend money then Linux is the way to go, but hopefully you're giving back to the community in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upper Echelons)
    I've had it for two days now and I'm starting to get used to it, although I have downloaded a program that brings the start button back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I've had it for two days now and I'm starting to get used to it, although I have downloaded a program that brings the start button back
    Try to get used to it as it is. There probably not going to change it back so we might as well get used to the new interface. Once you get used to it, it's actually pretty good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.