Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This my my first post in TSR so apologies if it is in the wrong place or something...

Basically I'm at uni studying nursing in my third and final year but think my depression is coming back. There is a long history so the following is just a summary: bullied (by friends and teachers) ever since I was 9 years old which is the first I remember of being miserable, secondary school started OK but for some reason still bullied even though knew nobody, year 9/10 started self harming which was noticed by PE teacher and reported to Head of Year who told parents, parents didn't understand and expected me to stop straight away which I couldn't so made effort to hide any fresh cuts, did manage to stop but cannot remember when, after high school started sixth form which was tough especially when I lost a close friend to a brain tumour, summer 2008 went on a camp/holiday/event but was raped midway through, was forced to report to police who didn't believe me despite finding evidence, depression hit again with force (parents unaware), GP prescribed anti-depressants, was supposed to start uni at end of that summer but took year out and don't remember anything until January next year when Mum forced me out to find a job, end of year out started at uni which was ok and to start fresh stopped anti-depressants, struggled with uni and fitting in (never been confident and have very low self-esteem), second year noticed depression was returning and put back on anti-depressants, was getting support from lecturers and occupational health (parents still unaware) until a message I sent to a friend scared her and she reported me, this resulted in me being made to take a year out to get help (parents now aware but didn't understand), things did improve and ended up working at 2012 Olympics as a Supervisor, returned to uni recently on a phased return but have been very ill with various infections and a hospital admission for other physical health reasons and so missed nearly a month of work, back in lectures now but struggling with depression again... I know my lecturers are monitoring me so desperately trying to show a happy smile, but even today they noticed I was coughing more after my recent illness and have asked me if I'm ok.
    I'm too scared to talk to uni and ask for support because I don't want to be taken off the course again, I'm too scared to talk to parents because they still don't understand, I'm too scared to talk to any friends because they might tell uni and I'm too scared to talk to my GP incase a report gets fed back to uni. It has taken a lot to even post here because I'm scared someone is going to recognise the post and report me.
    My one friend who really supported me last year and was the only one I could rely on cut all help just before I returned to uni, so now I feel as though I have nobody to turn to.

I have some anti-depressants left over because was never good at remembering to take daily which I'm tempted to take again without going to GP because I know I need them, if run out and finding they help may consider GP.
    I don't know what to do so I can finish uni and not get too bad...

Any suggestions???

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry that you've been through so much, you are strong for getting through all that! I think the best thing you can do is talk to your doctor because they're the person that can really help you! I know you're worried about it but honestly it will be for the best in the long run!

And thank you for posting that because you remind me so much of myself even though I'm a lot younger than you! You've made me feel like I have the strength to fight my own battles!

I hope you start feeling better soon! It does get better, I really believe it does!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    They can't just kick you off the course for being depressed, I assume you must have been drastically behind on work for that to happen?

If you are upfront with them and get the support hopefully you will be able to manage the workload.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that if I go to my GP the uni are going to find out...

The reason I was made to take a year out last year was because in the messages I sent to my friends I admitted to being very close to giving up with everything. I had also missed a lot of hours on placement and was requiring extensions for my assignments because the depression wasn't so good.

I'm still not sure that I can tell them, I'm too scared of what might happen!

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that the GP can't/won't tell the uni about anything, patient confidentiality kinda prevents that. The only time it would get mentioned to anyone external is if you told them you were going to kill yourself and they had to get police involved if they thought you should go to hospital and don't.

ReputationRep:
    oh my! so sorry that you have been through so much. however i dont think there is much you can do apart from talking to your GP. maybe you should consder leaving uni for the time being? return when you feel ready and mentally capable.

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to leave uni because I finish in August/September so would like to graduate and then take a break before starting a job...

My other trouble about seeing my GP is that I now live 50 miles away whilst at uni and am not able to go home again for another month!

The reason I think my GP might inform my uni is because they were exchanging information last year when I gave them consent (before I got too bad) - I'm not sure if they need new consent or they use the consent from before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stnamy)
    I don't want to leave uni because I finish in August/September so would like to graduate and then take a break before starting a job...

My other trouble about seeing my GP is that I now live 50 miles away whilst at uni and am not able to go home again for another month!

The reason I think my GP might inform my uni is because they were exchanging information last year when I gave them consent (before I got too bad) - I'm not sure if they need new consent or they use the consent from before?
    You can just tell them not to pass any information on, then they're not allowed to. And why not register with a GP local to where you are now? It might be good to talk to a new person, especially if you don't trust your old GP.

ReputationRep:
    I changed back to my home GP when I had to take the year out last year and actually have a good GP now so reluctant to lose her as my GP... Her and one other GP at my surgery are the only two I trust because others failed to diagnose pneumonia and other conditions!

I have only seen my current GP for the pneumonia and related problems so she doesn't know about my depression apart from what is on my records, so would be talking to a new person anyway. The GP I did trust with depression has since left the surgery so I can't go back to him either...

ReputationRep:
    had a really bad day :-( was meant to attend a course but the instructor never showed, so returned to uni but have spent nearly all afternoon in tears and feeling I can't go on like this anymore...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.