Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I've been considering joining a gym for a while now, but I'd like to settle some slightly trivial inquiries I have first :P

1.) Would it be weird to join a gym just to use the treadmill or elliptical? I'm mainly interested in this because I'd like to continue jogging during the winter months, which isn't really that great while wearing twenty layers under freezing, out-doors conditions :confused:

2.) Would it be weird if I only ever did this for like 30 minutes at a time? :facepalm:

and lastly...

3.) Could I get away with wearing leggings+sports bra in the hotter months without looking sleazy? Or is that only acceptable in movies?

Gracias to all in advance!

ReputationRep:
    1 & 2) not weird but potentially a waste of money, if your happy to spend it for the warmth and comfort in winter though its pretty normal and most people wouldn't even notice.

3) I see people in the gym wearing similar outfits and I have never thought they look sleazy.

ReputationRep:
    1) No, it's more than normal. Over half the people at my gym only go to use the cardio machines.

2) No one is there to judge how long you run for.

3) The only thing women seem to wear is leggings and sports bra!

You'll be right at home by the sounds of your expectations...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both! Feeling a bit more confident about the prospect, now I just need to find a gym that's not overflowing with creepy, pumped pensioners in my vicinity

ReputationRep:
    1) It's not weird at all, its the most common thing women do!
    But you should be doing some light weights and squats as if you're working out your bum, arms, legs and back; you'll tone your bum, arms, legs and back. You should also be doing exercises for your abs. Almost every girl at my gym does squats but i understand that for some people its a confidence issue to start lifting weights.

2) Again it's not weird! 30 minutes is a good workout, you could also be doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), which is sprints and jogs basically as it burns fat the fastest.

3) Yep, leggings are worn more often than not. Its either that or short shorts and i'd say leggings are more acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeWHU)
    1) It's not weird at all, its the most common thing women do!
    But you should be doing some light weights and squats as if you're working out your bum, arms, legs and back; you'll tone your bum, arms, legs and back. You should also be doing exercises for your abs. Almost every girl at my gym does squats but i understand that for some people its a confidence issue to start lifting weights.

2) Again it's not weird! 30 minutes is a good workout, you could also be doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), which is sprints and jogs basically as it burns fat the fastest.

3) Yep, leggings are worn more often than not. Its either that or short shorts and i'd say leggings are more acceptable.
    Very informative, thanks! y any chance, have you got any suggestions on what I could do to improve my posture? The years of slouching over a desk/computer have taken their toll, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murrica)
    Hey everyone!

I've been considering joining a gym for a while now, but I'd like to settle some slightly trivial inquiries I have first :P

1.) Would it be weird to join a gym just to use the treadmill or elliptical? I'm mainly interested in this because I'd like to continue jogging during the winter months, which isn't really that great while wearing twenty layers under freezing, out-doors conditions :confused:

2.) Would it be weird if I only ever did this for like 30 minutes at a time? :facepalm:

and lastly...

3.) Could I get away with wearing leggings+sports bra in the hotter months without looking sleazy? Or is that only acceptable in movies?

Gracias to all in advance!

1) People that do this seem ridiculous to me. The only remotely sensible excuse for not running outside in winter is ice.

2) Unless you're actually training to run for longer than 30 minutes, I don't know why you'd want to run anything more than about that. Can get the health benefits in less time simply upping the intensity.

ReputationRep:
    Running should actually help improve your posture, make sure you keep your head up when you're doing it! As if you were being pulled by a string, that certainly helped my posture anyway.

And try and make sure you're sitting up fairly straight when you're on the computer, or at least straighter
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Very informative, thanks! y any chance, have you got any suggestions on what I could do to improve my posture? The years of slouching over a desk/computer have taken their toll, unfortunately
    Back against the wall, hands on your boobs (sorry!), flatten your shoulders back against the wall. Do it for two minutes three times a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    1) People that do this seem ridiculous to me. The only remotely sensible excuse for not running outside in winter is ice.

2) Unless you're actually training to run for longer than 30 minutes, I don't know why you'd want to run anything more than about that. Can get the health benefits in less time simply upping the intensity.
    I have really sensitive skin and the cold can exacerbate my eczema
    (I've even had small patches on my face one, not a good look :ashamed2: ):cry:

(Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Back against the wall, hands on your boobs (sorry!), flatten your shoulders back against the wall. Do it for two minutes three times a day.
    Perfect, not much effort required either

(Original post by JoeWHU)
    Running should actually help improve your posture, make sure you keep your head up when you're doing it! As if you were being pulled by a string, that certainly helped my posture anyway.

And try and make sure you're sitting up fairly straight when you're on the computer, or at least straighter
    Can and will do, thank youu :ahee:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Perfect, not much effort required either
    Hope it works for you. Running could also help, as long as you make sure to keep your head up.
    And try to sit up straighter when you on a laptop etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hope it works for you. Running could also help, as long as you make sure to keep your head up.
    And try to sit up straighter when you on a laptop etc.
    That'll take a bit of practice - when I'm on the internet, my posture uncannily resembles the hunchback of notre dame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)

why would they need an excuse, its their money and their time if thats how they want to spend it why is that ridiculous to you :confused:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That'll take a bit of practice - when I'm on the internet, my posture uncannily resembles the hunchback of notre dame
    Haha, I know what you mean. I try to imagine I have a corset on - because by God, they work to keep you upright, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I know what you mean. I try to imagine I have a corset on - because by God, they work to keep you upright, believe me.
    Oooh, there's an idea :rolleyes::cool:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Oooh, there's an idea :rolleyes::cool:
    XD Not as silly as you'd think - I own a couple, and they do work.

Ugh, I didn't go running for the whole winter and now my running times are bloody dreadful Wish I hadn't done that.
    I considered a gym membership for January and February.

ReputationRep:
    I use the gym just for the exercise bike, so using it just for the treadmill isn't weird at all XD Depending on the price and how often you want to go, maybe you should have a look at paying per session at a gym rather than having a full membership. As for the leggings and sports bra, I don't think there's anything wrong with that (unless you're obese) XD

ReputationRep:
    XD Not as silly as you'd think - I own a couple, and they do work.

Ugh, I didn't go running for the whole winter and now my running times are bloody dreadful Wish I hadn't done that.
    I considered a gym membership for January and February.
    I would actually love to try one, plus they're pretty darn seductive

And you're not alone there! I only just started going again after a pretty lengthy break, and I honestly feel like I might as well be running hand in hand with my nana :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anime Lover)
    I use the gym just for the exercise bike, so using it just for the treadmill isn't weird at all XD Depending on the price and how often you want to go, maybe you should have a look at paying per session at a gym rather than having a full membership. As for the leggings and sports bra, I don't think there's anything wrong with that (unless you're obese) XD
    I should hope not
    And ayee, I was thinking like three times a week maybe? I honestly haven't got the faintest clue about all things leisurely, but that's seems pretty attainable

ReputationRep:
    I should hope not
    And ayee, I was thinking like three times a week maybe? I honestly haven't got the faintest clue about all things leisurely, but that's seems pretty attainable
    Ah fair enough, I tend to go three times a week, each time it costs £3 but I spend a couple of hours there. Memberships worked out a lot more expensive so this works for me, but obviously it depends on how much the gyms near you charge :')

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.