The Student Room Group

Do you find work set in school/college hinders your revision?

Last year at another college when exams were nearing in my AS year, we went to lessons still but they stopped setting us homework and assignments so we could get on with our own revision, the way it worked for us personally, and we would go to them for help and revision sessions.

This really worked for me as I have my own technique, went at my own schedule, and set my own deadlines.

This year after moving colleges I feel I barely have time to do my own revision because of all the work my tutors at college are setting me! Every lesson its a worksheet, past exam question or essay (or several) and I spend so much time trying to complete everything they give me that I cant find the time to do my own revision the way it helps me.

I think that having the responsibility of having to do my own work outside of college pushed me to do better last year.

But I wondered if you guys were the same or if you get demotivated if you don't have any work set?
Any thoughts appreciated, GO! :smile:
yea, I just don't do it anymore

Teachers don't care in my school :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by upthegunners
yea, I just don't do it anymore

Teachers don't care in my school :lol:

You're lucky!

My maths teacher genuinely once cried when half the class didn't do a homework :s-smilie:
I'm in that position now, I'd normally be revising at this point in the year but I have a stupid amount of homework to do instead. I wouldn't mind so much if it was past paper questions or something but my teachers decided to bombard me with essays and "gap fill" sheets instead. It's not great for the motivation. We get study leave at my college but usually it starts the day of the first exam which isn't very helpful, so most people just start bunking.
Reply 4
No but TSR does. :unimpressed:
Like you - I'd prefer to do my own revision
I absolutely agree with OP here. I would love it if I did not have so much homework and deadlines etc for school, I would be able to concentrate on my own learning a bit more! For goodness sake, I'm going to uni in a few months' time, I should be able to take responsibility of my own learning. The theory that it makes some work and motivates them, may be true for some lazy students but I think it's invalid because it doesn't teach them to take responsibility for their own learning.

Exams in less than 5 weeks' time, hardly done any revision eeeek
Personally, I'm very thankful to my school for giving me so much work. I'm awful at forcing myself to revise for things in the long-term and the short-term pressure of homework really helps me to get work done.
Reply 8
I feel your pain so this Easter break I literally self taught myself by finishing off the family unit myself made my revsion did all the essay including 2 she is going to set so I did it in advance because I've got a 2,000 word cw i've still got to do plus history note which i've done a 1/4 of plus got a an essay to do on top of that for homework it sucks!
Reply 9
I agree to an extent because it does come in useful when I'm trying to revise, I can actually use it seeing as it's marked and now has the answers with it.
Original post by breakeven
stopped setting us homework and assignments so we could get on with our own revision, the way it worked for us personally, and we would go to them for help and revision sessions.

This. I was incredibly grateful that some of my teachers trusted enough to do what we wanted, both in lessons and at home. That said, in other subjects, had I not been forced to do work, I probably wouldn't have done any.

There needs to be a balance, with the teacher asking the class what they feel would be useful.
Reply 11
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
I absolutely agree with OP here. I would love it if I did not have so much homework and deadlines etc for school, I would be able to concentrate on my own learning a bit more! For goodness sake, I'm going to uni in a few months' time, I should be able to take responsibility of my own learning. The theory that it makes some work and motivates them, may be true for some lazy students but I think it's invalid because it doesn't teach them to take responsibility for their own learning.

Exams in less than 5 weeks' time, hardly done any revision eeeek

That's a good point! At uni we won't have our tutors chasing us around for work we haven't handed in so we need to practice doing it ourselves and keeping ourselves to our own deadlines. But I guess some people still need that push to get started.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending