Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to start a healthy lifestyle because I want to lose weight, see improvements in my overall appearance and just cut out all the harmful things. I'm 16 years old, about 5 foot 7 and my current weight is 11 stones (154 pounds). I want to get between 8.5 to 9 stones. That would mean losing around 35 pounds which I should be able to do over a period of 18 weeks, by the middle of August. I just need some tips as to what to eat everyday and what kind of exercises I should do. I wanna do cardio for 1 hour everyday and maybe some toning exercises too. Any suggestions please? Also, can you tell me which foods I should cut out and all that jazz. Thank you!

Note: By the middle of August, I mean I'm gonna start now and I should lose the weight by then!

ReputationRep:
    Its easier to start from today, to stop snacking and sweets, start eatin a normal healthy diet, and do some sports one evening in the week, this wont work so fast, but its a hell lot easier then a hunger diet..... in a few years time u loose enough weight....

ReputationRep:
    To lose 2lb per week you need a 7000 (3500 per pound) calorie deficit per week. That means cutting out about 1000 calories a day (working from a 2000 calorie diet) or cutting out less than that and burning the rest of with exercise.

Cardio is good for calorie burning so that will help towards your target. To 'tone' up your body you'll need to incorporate some strength training, loads of different programmes can be found online or even on this forum so you'll just need to find one that suits you

Hope you reach your target!

ReputationRep:
    Stop talking about it and start doing it.

Run for the full hour without pauses, get yourself goals and run faster, further within that hour. Start lifting maybe twice a week to start with at low weights, speak to the staff at your local gym.

You won't see results for a few weeks, maybe a couple of months, but if you keep it up in a years time you could be a mini machine with a temple for a body.

Oh, and don't eat fatty foods...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, my older brothers a personal trainer and he helped my mum lose 2lb a week so hopefully this should help!

As someone said earlier, you have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. Remember, calories are unit of energy not a unit of fat, so the calories you get in a turkey breast will mainly be protein not fat. And the calories you get in a galaxy chocolate bar will mainly be carbohydrates (carbs) and fats (badfats). There are good fats and bad fats, you'll get your good fats in things like almonds, and you'll get your bad fats in chocolate.

Basically, just cut out all the chocolate, sweets, late-night snacks, and fast food and you'll see a lot of progress. If you have a large breakfast it helps massively, as you don't crave as much later on in the day.

Experiment with new fruit, there might be a fruit you could have as a snack to replace a bag of crisps that you haven't tried yet. E.g. Kiwi or Pomegranate.

Alongside this, you should be exercising, buy yourself some running shoes (you dont have to) and you'll guilt yourself in to running at the start. If you run half an hour a day, you'll lose a pound of fat if you have a normal diet.
    However, half an hour a day combined with a strict diet should help you lose 2lb of fat a week.

The first 2 weeks of the diet are the hardest. As you eat chocolate and sweets your sugar levels spike and then fall, causing you to crave more. The craving cycle usually lasts 21 days but is much easier to get out of after 2 weeks. If you make 2 weeks you won't crave it anymore and it'll be easy in may/june/july.

Remember this, you either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret and find yourself covered with clothes on the beach!

Good luck, i hope this has helped you.

ReputationRep:
    MyFitnessPal.com is great. Input your stats, your goals, and it will tell you how many calories to work towards. You can log both calories and exercise. As long as you stick to it, it's very easy.

ReputationRep:
    Just reading what Staceyy said... You shouldn't dip below 1200 calories per day as that is the minimum your body needs to function and if you go below this your body goes into 'panic mode' stopping you losing weight.

2lb per week is a lot! If you lose weight this fast it would be very unlikely to stay off... If you want to lose it and stay that way, steadily losing weight over a longer period of time is better

Good Luck

Em x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsqueak :))
    Just reading what Staceyy said... You shouldn't dip below 1200 calories per day as that is the minimum your body needs to function and if you go below this your body goes into 'panic mode' stopping you losing weight.
    It won't stop you from losing weight. You might not lose as much weight as you'd expect, as weight loss probably will slow down in comparison to what the numbers would have you suggest that it should be, but you will still lose weight. Your body just doesn't work in this way, and "panic" (or "starvation") mode is something that is vastly overestimated on the most part.

ReputationRep:
    Just eat a balanced diet but slightly reduce your portions. You shouldn't cut out any foods.

I also wouldn't bank on losing 2lbs a week consistently for too long. 8.5 stone is pretty light for a 5'7" girl so you may well not want to lose quite so much weight anyhow.

If you really just concentrate on sticking to three decent balanced meals a day and focus on getting fit rather than losing weight - you will almost certainly begin to lose weight as a side effect. If this eventually slows down or stops you can re-evaluate how much you are eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Your body just doesn't work in this way, and "panic" (or "starvation") mode is something that is vastly overestimated on the most part.
    The starvation effect is very real. It isn't really overestimated but rather chronically misinterpreted.

All it really is (in the most part) is a fancy term for yo-yo dieting. People restrict too hard and then become lethargic and depressed and then binge eat and rapidly gain weight. You see that all of the time and that is the case in more than half of the weight loss threads on here for example.

ReputationRep:
    As a simple general rule... the key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you're consuming.
    Now obviously some people have faster metabolisms than others, so there's no specific amount of exercise that can be advised to any one person without doing some tests first. But for most people, doing some high intensity cardio (or preferably high intensity interval cardio) for half an hour every other day, combined with a healthy diet should get results.

ReputationRep:
    8.5 stone seems a bit extreme if you are 5ft 7. 9.5 sounds like a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    It won't stop you from losing weight. You might not lose as much weight as you'd expect, as weight loss probably will slow down in comparison to what the numbers would have you suggest that it should be, but you will still lose weight. Your body just doesn't work in this way, and "panic" (or "starvation") mode is something that is vastly overestimated on the most part.
    By stops you losing weight I didn't mean it so literally, I meant stops her losing the weight she wishes to (2lb a week would be impossible basically) and it does and it doesn't everyone is different. I am a personal trainer and have seen some people go through the system who dip 100 below and will really mess their weekly goals up and others who can dip more than 300 calories and will barely see the effects, but it isn't a recommended or ideal way to lose weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.