Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm thinking of doing german and russian at uni next year and i was wondering if there was any work experience (that doesnt involve going abroad) or volunteer work that would especially stand out on a personal statement. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The only work experience I can think of, would be to volunteer for a charity as a translator - however that is if you already know some German / Russian.

I think, in your case, learning a bit of German / Russian would be a good idea if you have no knowledge of them. Doing it through Rosetta Stone or something would show universities that you're committed to learning a language.

I can't think of anything else though I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Work experience doesnt have to be directly related to ether of the two languages. Anything that gives you 'people skills', increases your confidence and involves 'communication' would be useful. Or anything that starts you thinking about history, culture etc to do with European history (museum, art gallery etc). So long as you can explain in your PS what you got out of it (how did it change your confidence, behaviour or assumptions?) then its worth doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.