The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonziggy
I haven't registered with UKCAT yet and at the moment the registration page isn't working. Anyone have any ideas on which book/s are the best for revision?

The best free resource online I've found at the moment is www.ukcathelp.org which has thousands of free questions which have the same time limit as the actual test so its been good practice. Aparently they are releasing a thousand free SJT UKCAT questions for free next week as well so should be an excellent resource!

Bookwise I'm still not sure which one to go for...there's so many out there. Are there any brand new ones with the new format including SJTs?
Seems like such a long shot but I don't suppose anyone is going to the reach thing at Aberdeen university tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 282
Anyone going to the Leicester Focus on Medicine Day, this Saturday???? :smile:
Reply 283
I wanna put KCL as my first choice. Could you possibly give me some advice on interview style? :getmecoat::getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
Original post by Nuttyneuron
Awww 2014 entry :-) Welcome to the dark side guys. Couldn't help but click on this thread, just wanted to say good luck :biggrin: and feel free to direct any questions my way (KCL medic)

Sorry... Forgot to quote... Interview style at kcl?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nelly A
I wanna put KCL as my first choice. Could you possibly give me some advice on interview style? :getmecoat::getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember on UCAS there aren't 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. choices, it's all random. And to get an interview at KCL you need high no. A*s at GCSE and a high UKCAT. I guess interview style is important, but what's more important is that you actually get an interview :tongue:
Original post by allylap
Anyone going to the Leicester Focus on Medicine Day, this Saturday???? :smile:

i am, looking forward to it
Reply 287
Original post by tamil4
i am, looking forward to it

Yeah, I am too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StraightA
Thread for all those looking to apply to medicine for 2014 entry to discuss work experience, extra curriculars, universities and everything else related to applying!

Why create this thread when we have a current yr 12 medic thread?
But anyway:
W/E

1 week hospital.

Volunteer at Hospice.

Academics in my sign.

Unis considering

Original post by reubenkinara

Unis considering

Bear in mind that Warwick is only Grad entry, so unless you have a degree you can't apply there :smile:

Also, KCL love A*s at gcse, so they might not be the best place to apply to :smile:

But everywhere else looks okay as long as you ace your ukcat :smile:
Original post by jess_m94
Bear in mind that Warwick is only Grad entry, so unless you have a degree you can't apply there :smile:

Also, KCL love A*s at gcse, so they might not be the best place to apply to :smile:

But everywhere else looks okay as long as you ace your ukcat :smile:

Ah, thanks. I thought the A* GCSE thing was only applicable at Oxford/Birmingham and that it could be combated with high UMS.
Thanks :smile:. I'd probably say that 700 is a score to aim for?
Ah, thanks. I thought the A* GCSE thing was only applicable at Oxford/Birmingham and that it could be combated with high UMS.
Thanks :smile:. I'd probably say that 700 is a score to aim for?

No unfortunately, with KCL you need high ukcat + lots of a*s at gcse- I have 7, and a ukcat of 690 and I didn't apply as it was too risky.

Generally if a university says they want something specific, you can't really make up for it with something else, e.g. having 12A*s at gcse means nothing to Newcastle if your ukcat is only 620 or something :smile:

Yeah, aim high! :smile: But don't worry if you only get an average score- there are lots of great schools that don't use ukcat as much :smile:
Original post by jess_m94
No unfortunately, with KCL you need high ukcat + lots of a*s at gcse- I have 7, and a ukcat of 690 and I didn't apply as it was too risky.

Generally if a university says they want something specific, you can't really make up for it with something else, e.g. having 12A*s at gcse means nothing to Newcastle if your ukcat is only 620 or something :smile:

Yeah, aim high! :smile: But don't worry if you only get an average score- there are lots of great schools that don't use ukcat as much :smile:

Thanks Jess. I'll probably have to ask more questions on TSR on receipt of my results and UKCAT/BMAT scores. Hope it isn't too over-flooded then!
Reply 293
Why create this thread when we have a current yr 12 medic thread?
But anyway:
W/E

1 week hospital.

Volunteer at Hospice.

Academics in my sign.

Unis considering

Not all applicants for medicine 2014 are year 12.
What happens when these year 12s are replace by next years year 12s for 2015 entry. Things may chance and wrong information may be relayed.
graduates
Students from other parts of the world(the world doesn't revolve around the English system!)
Reply 294
is this thread for those who are going to apply for unis in October 2014? or who will start in 2014?

and is it for those who will start year 12 in September 2013?
Original post by donkhan
is this thread for those who are going to apply for unis in October 2014? or who will start in 2014?

and is it for those who will start year 12 in September 2013?

This thread is for those applying for Medicine this year, starting uni in 2014, including those starting year 13 in September 2013. For those starting year 12 next, that's the medicine 2015 thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 296
Original post by DrumChops
This thread is for those applying for Medicine this year, starting uni in 2014, including those starting year 13 in September 2013. For those starting year 12 next, that's the medicine 2015 thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay thanks a lot! :smile:
Hey guys, check out the announcement for details of tonights summer series discussion thread :h:
Reply 298
Hey, guys! Just started another thread for those of you thinking of applying to Edinburgh for medicine. Good luck with your application everyone!! :smile:
Reply 299
Hey guys
I just wanna ask I would like to apply for medicine next year and I heard about ukcat and bmat.. So which one do I do or do I do both confusedddddd ?!??
Anyone's help would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending