The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellie xox
Hi, I desperately need some advice!

I achieved AABD in my AS levels which I got the other day (two A's in Chem and Bio, B in psychology and D in Spanish- which im dropping).

Im really happy with the AAB its just the D thats worrying me as most medical schools want a C/B in the 4th AS level?

I know some med schools dont look at AS levels but they tend to focus more on the UKCAT which I only achieved a 645 average in (band 1 SJT) so now im completely stcuk on where to apply :/

At GCSE I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 3B's but one of those A*'s in in a Citizenship short course which I dont think counts :confused:

My first choice was Leeds but I dont know if ive messed my chances up, any advice would be helpful :smile:

If I were you I would think about resitting the spanish AS level next year/take up a new one if you don't think you can do better in spanish.

However obviously if you think it would be too much work, then it's just a case of going back and researching the universities to see if they care about that fourth AS :smile:
Reply 341
Original post by jess_m94
If I were you I would think about resitting the spanish AS level next year/take up a new one if you don't think you can do better in spanish.

However obviously if you think it would be too much work, then it's just a case of going back and researching the universities to see if they care about that fourth AS :smile:

Yeah, I do think it would be too much resitting/ taking up another AS and I dont want it to have a negative impact on my other grades.

I'm just worried because there's so much strong competition compared to so little spaces. Feels like im at the bottom of the pile of all the applicants :/
Original post by Ellie xox
Yeah, I do think it would be too much resitting/ taking up another AS and I dont want it to have a negative impact on my other grades.

I'm just worried because there's so much strong competition compared to so little spaces. Feels like im at the bottom of the pile of all the applicants :/

As long as you apply to universities that do not take AS levels into account, then it really shouldn't affect your application! :smile:

Remember that being a doctor is a lot more than just grades. As long as you apply wisely and get an interview, then those things won't matter.

I applied this year with ABBBB...it's a bit different because I got the B in my fourth AS, but I still kind of understand what you mean. But I just made sure that I applied to universities that wouldn't give a crap, and I managed to get four offers and am off to Exeter medical school this september!
Original post by g.k.galloway
Mine is tomorrow too :smile:

I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

I would say we should compare results afterwards but yours will probably be better than mine :/
Reply 344
I applied for medicine last year and I got 4 rejections. However, i got an MPharm offer at university of Hertfordshire. I decided to accept the offer and reapply for medicine year 2014.

i wad rejected from oxford, uni of bristol, ucl and imperial.

Now i have the following results.

Ukcat
Verbal reasoning 470
Quantitative reasoning 690
Abstract reasoning 650
Decision Analysis 840
With an average of around 663
And band 2 on the situational judgement

Olevels
chemistry A*
physics A*
biology A*
math A*
ICT A*
business A*
english as a second language A
arabic as a first language B

alevels
chemistry A*
physics A*
biology A*
math A*

also i ranked top in the world math AS
top in saudi arabia physics AS
and second place highest across four AS

i managed to get little work experience because i live in a very restricted country ( kingdom of saudi arabia)
i worked for 2 weeks at a local clinic
and for 2 weeks at a hospital
and now im visiting a nearby elderly home 3 times a week

i would like to listen to any recommendations regarding which universities shall I apply to with greatest chance of receiving an offer noting that I am an international student.

Please help I cant imagine that after all this academic success yet i cant get into the medical school i want.

my dream is to study at king's college of london or queen mary's do you think i stand a chance there ???
Reply 345
As long as you apply to universities that do not take AS levels into account, then it really shouldn't affect your application! :smile:

Remember that being a doctor is a lot more than just grades. As long as you apply wisely and get an interview, then those things won't matter.

I applied this year with ABBBB...it's a bit different because I got the B in my fourth AS, but I still kind of understand what you mean. But I just made sure that I applied to universities that wouldn't give a crap, and I managed to get four offers and am off to Exeter medical school this september!

What did you get in your gcse's, what was your ukcat score and which unis did you apply to? sorry for all the questions
Original post by katherine96
I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

I would say we should compare results afterwards but yours will probably be better than mine :/

Good luck to you too :smile:
I am ridiculously worried :s-smilie:
Original post by 7789
What did you get in your gcse's, what was your ukcat score and which unis did you apply to? sorry for all the questions

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511&page=29&p=41897236#post41897236

It's in my signature as well :smile:
That time of the year again, medicine forum awards are up and running if you want to take part :smile:

Full details including a link to the survey can be found in the announcement here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=356&a=1325 :awesome:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Good luck to you too :smile:
I am ridiculously worried :s-smilie:

How did you do? It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!
Does anyone know any more unis that aren't PBL. So far I had: Oxbridge, UCL, imperial, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Dundee, bristol, Leicester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dadiamondz
Does anyone know any more unis that aren't PBL. So far I had: Oxbridge, UCL, imperial, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Dundee, bristol, Leicester

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh actually do use some pbl :smile:

But also newcastle :smile:
Original post by katherine96
How did you do? It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

733 average :smile: Pretty happy!
Original post by dadiamondz

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may find it difficult to completely avoid PBL completely (also bear in mind a course can change whilst you're studying). Even Imperial uses PBL (although not until clinical years). Many courses will have small amounts (i.e. one or two sessions a term). True Oxbridge, Imperial, and UCL are highly 'traditional', however I wouldn't advise applying to more than one or two BMAT med schools.

Also many places that do a large amount of PBL will use it in different ways, in terms of number of hours of PBL compared to lectures, how PBL sessions are run etc. Some places (such as KCL I think, and St George's) start with case based learning in the first year and gradually switch to PBL later. In some places (like St George's) everyone covers all the learning objectives in independent study so you're not relying as much on other peoples work. PBL has changed over the years to become a lot more structured with clearer learning objectives, and in this time med schools have developed their own styles of PBL.

Can't help much beyond that, and I'm not going to try to convince you of the merits of PBL as I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to avoid it (and I would be a hypocrite as an Imperial (GEP) pre-fresher).
Reply 354
I need some advice too. I didn't do any GCSEs because I was living abroad (I'm a Brit though :biggrin:) but I'm doing A levels. I just got my AS results: A Maths, B English, B Chemistry, C Biology. I got a UKCAT of 3290, and all my B/Cs are borderline the grade above - which unis should I go for? I anticipate A*AAB next year, but with the B in Bio...
Reply 355

Well done! That's amazing! :smile:

Do you mind if I ask you what you got in your UKCAT? Its just the problem that Ive got now is that most of the universities which dont paticulary care that much about AS levels seem to care more about UKCAT which I didnt do amazing in. :/ ( I got 645 average).

Ive only founs 3 uni's so far that I think I might actually have a shot at which are Leeds, Nottingham and Leicester but im struggling to find a 4th which dont mind a low UKCAT average and a low 4th AS level. Do you have any suggestions on a 4th one? Ive already looked at the tsr medical schools wiki but cant seem to find a realistic 4th option.

Thanks for your advice btw! It's made me feel a lot better! :biggrin:
Reply 356
Original post by Joycee
I applied for medicine last year and I got 4 rejections. However, i got an MPharm offer at university of Hertfordshire. I decided to accept the offer and reapply for medicine year 2014.

i wad rejected from oxford, uni of bristol, ucl and imperial.

Now i have the following results.

Ukcat
Verbal reasoning 470
Quantitative reasoning 690
Abstract reasoning 650
Decision Analysis 840
With an average of around 663
And band 2 on the situational judgement

Olevels
chemistry A*
physics A*
biology A*
math A*
ICT A*
business A*
english as a second language A
arabic as a first language B

alevels
chemistry A*
physics A*
biology A*
math A*

also i ranked top in the world math AS
top in saudi arabia physics AS
and second place highest across four AS

i managed to get little work experience because i live in a very restricted country ( kingdom of saudi arabia)
i worked for 2 weeks at a local clinic
and for 2 weeks at a hospital
and now im visiting a nearby elderly home 3 times a week

i would like to listen to any recommendations regarding which universities shall I apply to with greatest chance of receiving an offer noting that I am an international student.

Please help I cant imagine that after all this academic success yet i cant get into the medical school i want.

my dream is to study at king's college of london or queen mary's do you think i stand a chance there ???

No one is willing to provide me with any advice ???
Original post by StraightA
Has anyone done pre med at imperial? people have suggested it but I'm unsure whether or not I want to fork out £100 for it?

I did, it was rubbish
Reply 358
What universities would I stand a chance with for medicine with these results;

3A*s 5As 3Bs (GCSE)
AAAB (AS level) (Biology,Chemistry,Physics+Maths)
2520 in UKCAT (630 average)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending