The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Not through Track etc. You can request a copy of your reference from UCAS for a fee, but the simple option is just to ask whoever wrote it if you can see it.

Ah okay thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akjam
What do Aberdeen assess Scottish students on and with what weighting?? Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highers and predicted AHs, plus UKCAT. It's 20% UKCAT and 30% academics, with the other 50% made up tv the interview.
Reply 782
Original post by ms miz
whats the point of entry supposed to be if you want to start normally you know from the first year? Do you leave blank or put 1.

leave it blank! :-d
Has anyone here got 3 AS Levels applying for medicine?😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Hey guys
just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on where i should apply. I did avaerage on the ukcat so i was going to apply to birmingham bristol or both. I got 6As at band 1 (scottish highers) and have done plenty of work experience, but im stuck when it comes to deciding where to apply. Either:

birmingham, bristol, aberdeen, oxford
~or~
Birmingham, aberdeen, edinburgh, oxford
~or~
bristol,aberdeem ,edinburgh, oxford
~or~
birmingham, bristol, edinburgh, oxford

the only one im sure of is oxford just to see how ill do. Please help me!!!!
Original post by anon.med
Hey guys
just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on where i should apply. I did avaerage on the ukcat so i was going to apply to birmingham bristol or both. I got 6As at band 1 (scottish highers) and have done plenty of work experience, but im stuck when it comes to deciding where to apply. Either:

birmingham, bristol, aberdeen, oxford
~or~
Birmingham, aberdeen, edinburgh, oxford
~or~
bristol,aberdeem ,edinburgh, oxford
~or~
birmingham, bristol, edinburgh, oxford

the only one im sure of is oxford just to see how ill do. Please help me!!!!

What is your ukcat score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Hi, I'm applying this year I got:
AAAAB at higher
AAA predicted advanced higher
average 750 ukcat.

Im applying to dundee, aberdeen, St. Andrews andEdinburgh
are these reasonable, I don't want to waste places?
Reply 787
Original post by medicinebabe
What is your ukcat score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an average of 660 which isn't enough for Glasgow or St. Andrews
Original post by prafto
Your UKCAT is fine!! Most, if not all schools only look at avg anyway, and your's is 677.5!! Just avoid Kings, Newcastle/Durham :smile:

Okay:smile: Thanks for the reply. It just seems like people have way higher UKCAT scores/AS level results than me!
Reply 789
Hi guys :ciao: :smile: Really need your help !!

I came from India in 2011 and now I am applying for medicine as a home student, so most of the uni's don't want me to hold any GCSES or either will consider my equivalent Indian qualifications (except Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham)..

I got UKCAT score of 702.5, with 430 in VR ( so cant apply to St. George, Plymouth, Hull York and Nottingham)

I did GCSES and my AS level in a single year and got 4A*S, 2A in GCSEs and AAAA in AS level. I am predicted A*A*A*A in my A2s..

Which uni's should I apply to ??

Any help is really appreciated :chaplin::chaplin:
Original post by studnetMo

I put 1 for all of mine :/ was that incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Hi guys im new here, please help!! After my terrible ukcat score, im stuck on which uni's to apply to, i want it to definitely be intergrated or traditional.

GCSE's: 10A*'s and 2A's(A's in english literature and english language)
AS Grades: AAAAA (bio, chem, phy, maths, general st.)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A(A in chem, A*'s in phys, maths and bio)
UKCAT: 665 did so bad, only practiced hardcore 2 days before, my fault really. vr 480 qr 670 ar 800 da 710 i panicked on vr as you can tell.

Also doing further maths AS level, completed one module in which i got an A, and doing other two this year. I have done many extra cirrucular activites. 4 hospital placements, in oncology, paedriatics, cardiology, neonatal, observed surgery, done alot of leadership things, scouts young leader, mentoring, etc. gold dofe, st johns ambulance.

Hoping to apply to Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham

not sure about last one: Sheffield? Bristol? i heard bristols really competitive and do sheffield put alot of emphasis on ukcat, will they prefer an applicant with a high ukcat and low AS's or vice versa. What other uni's would you advise, really need help!!!
Reply 792
Hey guys, seeing a few of you guys with a similar UKCAT score and I'm stuck too :frown:

Mine's pretty bad, 660 :/ (band 2) and I'm really disappointed in myself, so worried that it's going to change anything and will be the thing that leads me to not get into any uni's :frown:
Predicted a 44 at IB and got all A*s at GCSE but don't know what I'm going to do if they don't even consider me because of my UKCAT :/
Any suggestions on where I should apply to?

My current choices are Edinburgh, Newcastle, Sheffield and Bristol but I'm pretty sure I can't even apply to Newcastle now right? I don't think they even consider you if you're below the threshold :/ Edinburgh are using UKCAT as 20% so it's going to be hard :frown: I know Bristol and Liverpool don't even use it but do you guys have any suggestions? What do you guys think?
Original post by FrancescaElle
Has anyone here got 3 AS Levels applying for medicine?

You'll need 4 AS subjects - see wiki article on 'a level requirements'. However, if you take a 4th AS during Y13, you can still qualify. You will need to take a view on how you'll be treated by med schools which rank applications using AS grades - there is a possibility that your peers will be scored for4 and you'll be scored for 3. Check the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' for guidance on which med schools focus on AS grades. I'd advise that your school mentions your plans for a 4th AS in the reference that they supply to UCAS. Good luck!

Original post by walkers38
I hate interviews because I am an introvert. I just get nervous and forget what I want to say in the tense situation. Am I not fit to be a doctor? But I really want to be one. If unis reject me, I'll be so gutted. :frown:

Original post by walkers38
Finally decided on my uni choices - Bristol, HYMS, Leicester, Southampton. That was such a tough decision. I have written my personal statement but it is so horrible, teachers say. I'm depressed because of this. What can I do if my English sucks?! >.< I hope I'll not be at disadvantage.

Regarding the interview anxiety, you've already taken the first step by acknowledging that it's something you need to address. Any activity that puts you in a position of talking to strangers (eg, volunteering in a charity shop) could help. Also, there are hundreds of sample questions out there on the internet - try reading them and seeing how you would answer. Regarding your choices, Southampton has switched to being UKCAT-heavy this year, like Newcastle/Durham. Very risky if you're UKCAT score isn't good (they will be interviewing all applicants as well this year). Good luck!

Original post by lucey
Hey guys, I need your advice.. Ever since middle school I really wanted to study medicine at Edinburgh, and so I worked extremely hard and finally got 45 predicted (IB diploma) and 720 from my UKCAT.
But last week when I've talked to a career advisor who specializes in UCAS applications he said that it is very unlikely I would get into Edinburgh and told me to choose some other school like Nottingham instead, for "I should not waste one of only four applications for something as unobtainable as Edinburgh" (his words).
Is getting into Edinburgh really that impossible? :frown:

The competition for med schools is fierce - an applicant has ~10% chance of getting into any med school. It's good to have ambitions about where you'd like to study, but if your main goal is to get onto a medicine course then you may need to apply strategically, because each med school has its own preferences about the types of student they want. Nottingham is definitely a med school I would recommend, based on your UKCAT score (they give it a high weighting). See wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' and the advice at the end of this post. Good luck!

Original post by Cheska744
Would like to apply to Newcastle however my ukcat is 697.5 and not sure if this would be too risky. Any advice?

Newcastle/Durham's cutoff has risen every year in recent years - will that continue? Or will Southampton's switch to being UKCAT-heavy take the pressure off and cause the cutoff to fall (through supply and demand). Ultimately, it's got to be your choice, because you are right on last year's cutoff. Good luck!

Original post by absaa
No idea whether to apply to UEA or BSMS as my fourth choice! Just can't decide between the two also applying with mitigating circumstances to leeds, liverpool and bristol with 5A*s and 5as gcse, AABB as, A*A*A a2 prediction and 630 ukcat
was also considering Nottingham but I think my ukcat would let me down too much (individual components DA: 860 VR: 510 QR: 490 AR:660) Help!

Nottingham would be very risky - they allocate 48% weighting to UKCAT scores when ranking applications. See the advice at the end for advice on applying strategically. Good luck!

Hello evrybody :biggrin: I am a year 13 student and I applied to medicine last week, so my UCAS form has been sent off to the unis. However I now realise there is a mistake regarding the point of entry. Would I be able to get the universities to change it if I called them up. Or is there something else I can do. Thankss

I'm sure this will be possible, but I don't know the best way to do it. I suggest you ring the med school and ask for their advice in correcting the application. Good luck!

Original post by pm123
Hi guys, I'm still not sure about my fourth uni. [...] Any advice? Please help. Thank you in advance!

Original post by FreyaCat
Im applying to dundee, aberdeen, St. Andrews andEdinburgh - are these reasonable, I don't want to waste places?

Original post by med.x
[...] what unis do you think i should apply, thinkin of Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and St George's [...]

Original post by dede-1234
[...]I am only applying to Edinburgh for medicine... is there any point in me applying?

Original post by MS Miz
Guys, which unis would be best to apply to with a score of 737 in the UKCAT? I'm currently applying to st George's kings barts and Bristol. [...]

Original post by adersh96
i'm thinking of applying to ucl and i got all As at AS (bio, chem, physics and maths) but they weren't high As, probably about 83% average, is there much emphasis on ums scores at ucl?

Original post by school1234
Do you think I can get into St. andrews and Aberdeen? [...]

Original post by Will-2609
[...] I'm now reconsidering my choices (originally Newcastle, Nottingham, UEA, Sheffield) [...]

Original post by Sukura
[...]Applying to: Keele, Aberdeen, Bristol, and Liverpool [...]

Original post by abss96
Hi I am applying for medicine this year and need some advice on uni's to consider.

Original post by akjam
[...] I'm applying for Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Do you think I've got a decent chance?

Original post by anon.med
just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on where i should apply.

Original post by xXxAthenaxXx
[...]what prospects do I have for medicine, at which unis? I'm seeing too much conflicting information, getting more and more confused :confused:

Original post by Isobelle_1
[...] I'm considering Bristol, Leeds.. and I'm not really sure where else to apply! Any suggestions?

Original post by WannabeMedic123
[...] Do you think I should apply this year (and where)?

Original post by 1357
Reaaally need advice on whether or not to apply to Birmingham! [...]

Original post by Shiam
[...] Which uni's should I apply to ?? Any help is really appreciated

Original post by Adilnawaz
[...] Any advice where should I apply will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

Guys, sorry I can't do personalised advice for every 'where should I apply?' query, but I have a few generic tips. If you've made some tentative choices, validate them by running through the following steps, otherwise make a list of med schools and start crossing them off...

where can you apply? minimum GCSE grades? right AS/A2 subjects? right AS grades? - see wiki articles on GCSE and A level requirements

where should you apply? how will your UKCAT scores be used? where will your application be competitive? - see wiki articles on 'UKCAT' and 'applying using your strengths'

where do you want to apply? do you like the course? the campus? the city? etc

HTH, and good luck!
Original post by sm786
Hi guys im new here, please help!! After my terrible ukcat score, im stuck on which uni's to apply to, i want it to definitely be intergrated or traditional.

GCSE's: 10A*'s and 2A's(A's in english literature and english language)
AS Grades: AAAAA (bio, chem, phy, maths, general st.)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A(A in chem, A*'s in phys, maths and bio)
UKCAT: 665 did so bad, only practiced hardcore 2 days before, my fault really. vr 480 qr 670 ar 800 da 710 i panicked on vr as you can tell.

Also doing further maths AS level, completed one module in which i got an A, and doing other two this year. I have done many extra cirrucular activites. 4 hospital placements, in oncology, paedriatics, cardiology, neonatal, observed surgery, done alot of leadership things, scouts young leader, mentoring, etc. gold dofe, st johns ambulance.
Hoping to apply to Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham
not sure about last one: Sheffield? Bristol? i heard bristols really competitive and do sheffield put alot of emphasis on ukcat, will they prefer an applicant with a high ukcat and low AS's or vice versa. What other uni's would you advise, really need help!!!

Original post by krisxc
Hey guys, seeing a few of you guys with a similar UKCAT score and I'm stuck too :frown:

Mine's pretty bad, 660 :/ (band 2) and I'm really disappointed in myself, so worrie that it's going to change anything and will be the thing that leads me to not get into any uni's :frown:
Predicted a 44 at IB and got all A*s at GCSE but don't know what I'm going to do if they don't even consider me because of my UKCAT :/
Any suggestions on where I should apply to?
My current choices are Edinburgh, Newcastle, Sheffield and Bristol but I'm pretty sure I can't even apply to Newcastle now right? I don't think they even consider you if you're below the threshold :/ Edinburgh are using UKCAT as 20% so it's going to be hard :frown: I know Bristol and Liverpool don't even use it but do you guys have any suggestions? What do you guys think?

Guys, 660/665 is not a bad score. Sure, there are a few med schools that you should avoid, but there are still plenty of choices. See the advice at the end of the post above this one - good luck!
Reply 795
I'm an international student from Canada, and right now I'm a bit lost in it all but when all is said and done hopefully I'll have at least one offer under my belt; the average number of open places for international students is a bit less than 20!
Reply 796

thanks! Glad someone has finally cleared that up for me!
Original post by MS Miz
thanks! Glad someone has finally cleared that up for me!

Hey there, can I ask you a question please? I have done my UKCAT a few days ago. The problem is that I don't think that I gave any of my UCAS details to Pearson Vue, and I don't know whether my UKCAT score will be sent or not. What's the best thing to do?
Reply 798
Original post by 123456789012
Hey there, can I ask you a question please? I have done my UKCAT a few days ago. The problem is that I don't think that I gave any of my UCAS details to Pearson Vue, and I don't know whether my UKCAT score will be sent or not. What's the best thing to do?

Your name, date of birth address etc make it happen you don't need to give any UCAS info
Original post by t()m
Your name, date of birth address etc make it happen you don't need to give any UCAS info

Thanks a lot! You've just saved me from my relentless stressing. Much appreciated. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending