The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manupalace
Really? Interesting? But surely still no advantage to sending it off early (apart from the reduced stress)?

Takes ages to get through 2k applications, might as well start with what they've got. No real advantage to being in that group though.
Reply 861
Original post by The Enlightment
Haha, yes. Not to mention I feel like I have a million things to do. :redface:
I applied to Edinburgh, Oxford, Aberdeen and ICL.
And you? :smile:

Aw things like what? I just have to revise for the BMAT!
Awesome, guessing you're scottish then? And where's ICL?
I applied to Cambridge, UCL Birmingham and Bristol!
Oh feel free to pm me if you want :tongue:
Reply 862
Original post by tamil4
i did both

i got one from hyms the next day. nothing from the other medical schools yet :/

Hmm I haven't heard anything not even from ucas :/
Reply 863
Does any know how closely the scottish unis look at standard grades, I mean does having a 2 matter that much as it's still a credit?
Really? Interesting? But surely still no advantage to sending it off early (apart from the reduced stress)?

Yeah, they started at least last week here as well.
No particular advantage to those sent off earlier; they may as well start reading them if they've got them.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Yeah, they started at least last week here as well.
No particular advantage to those sent off earlier; they may as well start reading them if they've got them.

Makes sense. Probably also means applicants wait less time to hear (good or bad) news, which can only be a good thing.
Original post by The Enlightment
Haha, yes. Not to mention I feel like I have a million things to do. :redface:
I applied to Edinburgh, Oxford, Aberdeen and ICL.
And you? :smile:

You mean ICSM not ICL :wink:
Original post by Ani97
Hi guys! Good luck on your applications! I'm a prospective applicant for 2015, and I wondered if you could tell me some things.. So, what advice would you give to me about AS levels? When should I start revising for them? What would you have done differently if you could do them again? I want to make sure I get the best results possible to stand a good chance for med school! All the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're applying to universities which are part of the UKCAT Consortium:

"Personally, I would have prepared for the UKCAT earlier! It's a shame I started getting down to it quite late, in May. That was three months before my test day (August 26). And as the days went by, I quickly got overwhelmed with revisions for other exams which were in June (I also sat and passed my theory test in July). Then, I had to write the first drafts of my personal statement before September as I didn't want to leave it until the last minute... In total, I'd say I only had 35 hours of preparation for the UKCAT (some would think it's enough, though. But I think I could have spent more time on it and enhanced my score). So, the best piece of advice I can give you is to allow yourself enough time to prepare for this admission test! Know your strengths and weaknesses, and work on them. :smile: Practise, practise, practise. That's the key to success.

But seriously, it was a big relief after the test. I don't want to go through this anymore. It was too intense. I hope this will be my first and last year applying to medical school in the UK."
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hummi_C
Aw things like what? I just have to revise for the BMAT!
Awesome, guessing you're scottish then? And where's ICL?
I applied to Cambridge, UCL Birmingham and Bristol!
Oh feel free to pm me if you want :tongue:

ICL = Imperical College London? :smile:

A pile of homework awaits me everyday when I get back home as I'm studying lots of subjects. I'm also preparing for the BMAT test! :biggrin:
Why does everyone think I'm Scottish? I'm not (but thanks, I can take that as a compliment). :rolleyes: I guess it has to do with my university choices.
Okay, I'll PM you from now on.
You mean ICSM not ICL :wink:

Haha, yes. :wink:
Makes sense. Probably also means applicants wait less time to hear (good or bad) news, which can only be a good thing.

If it's anything like last year was for me, they'll be kept waiting until March / April for a decision anyway :unimpressed:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
If it's anything like last year was for me, they'll be kept waiting until March / April for a decision anyway :unimpressed:

I was trying to be optimistic :tongue: (the angst has already started for many)
I was trying to be optimistic :tongue: (the angst has already started for many)

Oh yeah :colondollar:
Reply 873
so how and when would we know if we are getting an interview? :O
Original post by FreyaCat
Does any know how closely the scottish unis look at standard grades, I mean does having a 2 matter that much as it's still a credit?

Have you had the email acknowledgement at least? If not then I would call them pronto x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salmaed
so how and when would we know if we are getting an interview? :O

Generally they send invites out between November and February, with interviews being between December and March.
Some universities notify you of their decision a few weeks after your interview, others wait until all interviews are over and send out all of their notifications of decision around the same time.
Reply 876
Original post by Pittawithcheese
Have you had the email acknowledgement at least? If not then I would call them pronto x

Posted from TSR Mobile

No!!! Getting on the phone now :/.
Original post by FreyaCat
Hi, how quickly did anyone get conformation from the universities to say they had received their application?

All 4 within 48 hours! It definitely varies as for Leicester mine came in 10 mins but for Leeds it was almost exactly 2 days :smile:
Reply 878
Original post by Dr. Django
All 4 within 48 hours! It definitely varies as for Leicester mine came in 10 mins but for Leeds it was almost exactly 2 days :smile:

Sent mine 5 days ago and still not heard anything...
Original post by Ani97
Hi guys! Good luck on your applications! I'm a prospective applicant for 2015, and I wondered if you could tell me some things.. So, what advice would you give to me about AS levels? When should I start revising for them? What would you have done differently if you could do them again? I want to make sure I get the best results possible to stand a good chance for med school! All the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there!!

My advice is to get on top of things early on, don't let them build up (like I did)! With AS levels, try and get your notes done before Easter Holidays (if you do notes) as I was still doing mine then so couldn't concentrate on actually learning all the material! Furthermore, if you do your notes during the year (make them legible and clear :tongue:) then you will really reduce the workload!!

Keep organised, file everything in order and keep it neat ( I had a mountain of unfiled work lying around and wish I'd been organised from the start :L)! As I'm sure you are aware, past papers are key to success and make sure that you do them all ( I would advise doing them at least 2/3 times or until you're getting 95%+ every time :smile: )

Try and organise work experience ASAP, all mine was in the summer after Year 12 and along with preparing for UKCAT, writing my personal statement and 'trying' to meet friends and go out it was pretty stressful!! (You have no jan exams so id advise trying to get some for xmas hols if you can :smile:

Just work hard and keep organised and you'll be fine! The less organised you are the harder you'll have to work around exam time; my notes were terrible so I had to rewrite most of them: make sure you don't have to! Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending