Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How quick until I am covered for car insurance ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I would really appreciate some information here.

I am aiming to pick up a car on Monday, I cant actually afford the deposit for insurance until this day also. If I was to phone up in the morning to get it all sorted, would I be covered to pick the car up in the afternoon does anybody know?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    It takes a day for the insurance database to be updated so you'll need to print off the certificate of insurance and keep that with you.

The insurance itself becomes valid as soon as you pay for it though.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine online with Co-Op and it was immediate, As soon as i filled out the form + paid online, I got my quote number thing (+insurance certificate)in the email and they said with that i could drive

however it may take 1-2 days to show up as insured on the police database, so keep your documents with you just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes they have a time of day that you're insured from as well. When we picked our car up we were only insured from midday so if you drive BEFORE the time specified then you are uninsured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Sometimes they have a time of day that you're insured from as well. When we picked our car up we were only insured from midday so if you drive BEFORE the time specified then you are uninsured.

sshhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly eyes)
    sshhhhhhh
    Well, yeah haha but if you get caught on an ANPR camera fitted to a Police Car you will come up as uninsured and you'll be done for it even though you've bought the insurance, it isn't valid yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    Hi
    I would really appreciate some information here.

I am aiming to pick up a car on Monday, I cant actually afford the deposit for insurance until this day also. If I was to phone up in the morning to get it all sorted, would I be covered to pick the car up in the afternoon does anybody know?

Thanks in advance
    You can have the insurance start there and then if you want to, as they ask you when you want the insurance to start. So you would be insured to pick it up in the afternoon.
    Like others have said though, it takes a day or 2 for it to come up on the insurance database, so you would need the policy number, or a printout of the certificate or something with you just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I bought my insurance around 2-3 hours before I went to pick it up. The insurer will ask you when you want it to start and it'll be effective from then. Like others have said, it most likely won't update onto the system immediately and will probably take 1 or say days. Just be prepared to show police proof of insurance or have at least contact details of your insurer at hand should they need to confirm that the vehicle is insured.

ReputationRep:
    You can specify from when you want insurance to start.
    Actually.. one of the questions is "when do you want the insurance to start from". If you say "imediately" that's what you'll get!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.