Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so um yeah.... i suffer extremely bad with anxiety and im starting university in september ... yay! but im not even there yet and im already having panic attacks etc :s im extremely excited but yet i worry far far too much and often make myself sick...im sure alot of people can relate but i was wondering... what ways have people gotten over this before or found ways to help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I can definitely relate to that,

I think it could be good to write a list of what it is that you are specifically worried about, as if you are able to understand whats going on for then you hopefully you can start to think about things differently or work on ideas for ways of dealing with different situations if they were to arise.

You will probably find when you actually get to uni that a lot of these situations didn't actually warrant all the pre worrying, but I know that anxiety can be difficult to deal with. I think it helps to remind yourself of why you want to go to uni and focus on that, focus on the good things that will hopefully come from the experience.

Also remember when you do go to uni though it may feel quite daunting you wont be there on your own, you will meet a lot of people; those you live with, those on your course, people in societies or groups you may get involved with. You will also have tutors you can approach, including a personal tutor and your university will also have a counselling service and a student support team, so if you did feel as though things were difficult there will be people who can help you.

Hope that helped,
    We can talk more if you want to,
    xx

ReputationRep:
    awh ty! means alot, i guess i am just worrying for nothing and i know every one will be in a smiliar boat as it will be new to alot of people... i'll get over it i always do but thank you so much for the suggestions i will deffinatly write my worries down and try be alot more positive! thank you so much! xx

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the idea of writing your worries down. This helped me a lot when I had a period where I was so nervous I just couldn't sleep, and didn't really know the reason. Once I realised the reason I could work through it and now when I feel myself getting anxious before sleeping I can list the reasons why the things I'm nervous about aren't true etc.

My friend also told me that running your wrists under cold water helps - dipping your face in a bowl of cold water is best, but obviously not always appropiate. This is supposed to calm your breathing and heart rate (caused by some evolutionary mechanism so that we use less oxygen when we're underwater), and generally help calm your physical symptoms which is good if you're concerned about throwing up.

Also, have you tried mindfulness? You'd have to google it to get a proper explaination, but it's supposed to kind of 'root' you back into the present moment and make you aware of the present so that you're not so focused on your anxious thoughts or something that happened in the past or might happen in the future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.