Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering how did you decide between adult/child/mental health nursing?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    My interests have always been in mental health and with a previous degree in psychology it just made sense. Also I'm not a fan of children or hands on physical care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danniitb)
    My interests have always been in mental health and with a previous degree in psychology it just made sense. Also I'm not a fan of children or hands on physical care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What kind of patients do mental health nurses work with? Is it all in psychiatric institutes/prisons? Or also with older patients with dementia etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello kitty 2013)
    What kind of patients do mental health nurses work with? Is it all in psychiatric institutes/prisons? Or also with older patients with dementia etc?
    It's with both but also with those in the community with 'minor' problems like depression and anxiety, in drug and alcohol rehab units, or even in child and adolescent mental health units

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For me, I ruled out child nursing straight away as although I like kids, I love older people. Listening to their stories and how they used to live during the war/post war etc. My favourite moment so far from placements/work experience has been giving a lovely lady a bed-wash in hospital, strangely enough, because at the same time I was talking and joking with her, and hearing how she met her late husband

Then it was between MH and adult. I decided adult because it's broader and I love human anatomy and wound care and things like that, which I could be exposed to less as a mental health nurse. And I have to say, after having patient experience in MH units and MH community teams, I don't think I'd be able to cope with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    For me, I ruled out child nursing straight away as although I like kids, I love older people. Listening to their stories and how they used to live during the war/post war etc. My favourite moment so far from placements/work experience has been giving a lovely lady a bed-wash in hospital, strangely enough, because at the same time I was talking and joking with her, and hearing how she met her late husband

Then it was between MH and adult. I decided adult because it's broader and I love human anatomy and wound care and things like that, which I could be exposed to less as a mental health nurse. And I have to say, after having patient experience in MH units and MH community teams, I don't think I'd be able to cope with it
    Aww yes I love old people too, they remind me of my nan
    ouch- I take it you had a pretty traumatic experience with MH x

ReputationRep:
    Aww yes I love old people too, they remind me of my nan
    ouch- I take it you had a pretty traumatic experience with MH x
    N'aawwh

Yeah, MH units are not a nice place to be, and it definitely takes a special (and most likely, crazy ) person to work in such an environment. Heck, even in my relatively short stays I have seen kids as young as 8 being restrained, a boy threatening a member of staff with a knife, people running off the unit and having police send out helicopters and search the building, middle aged women throw food across the canteen... And then I was speaking to a young member of staff (who started as a support worker when she was 19) who had been punched too many times to count by male patients twice her size!

I have nothing but respect for those that work in mental health settings! Even in 'low risk' community settings, it can be very intense and emotionally draining, not to mention frustrating. But I guess that is balanced by seeing people completely turn their lives around etc

Have you decided what branch you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    N'aawwh

Yeah, MH units are not a nice place to be, and it definitely takes a special (and most likely, crazy ) person to work in such an environment. Heck, even in my relatively short stays I have seen kids as young as 8 being restrained, a boy threatening a member of staff with a knife, people running off the unit and having police send out helicopters and search the building, middle aged women throw food across the canteen... And then I was speaking to a young member of staff (who started as a support worker when she was 19) who had been punched too many times to count by male patients twice her size!

I have nothing but respect for those that work in mental health settings! Even in 'low risk' community settings, it can be very intense and emotionally draining, not to mention frustrating. But I guess that is balanced by seeing people completely turn their lives around etc

Have you decided what branch you want to go into?
    I think if I was to do nursing it would be adult nursing because I think it would upset me too much to be around ill children! (Is that really bad?!)
    Is it easy to switch between the different types, so if you train in adult nursing can you do extra courses to retrain as MH for example?

ReputationRep:
    I think if I was to do nursing it would be adult nursing because I think it would upset me too much to be around ill children! (Is that really bad?!)
    Is it easy to switch between the different types, so if you train in adult nursing can you do extra courses to retrain as MH for example?
    Yeah I can understand that- especially when you have parents/family there aswell. However, adult nursing can still be very upsetting, but I think as you gain experience you don't become immune to it as such, but you develop ways of coping with it.

It's definitely possible to switch There are conversion courses at some unis, and they usually last a year to 18 months

I think with adult there is a lot of variety anyway. Within any banch of nursing, there is always overlap. A high proportion of those in hospital will have mental health problems, and if you work in A+E or similar you are likely to care for children too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.