Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is your opinion on the other world, do you believe in paranormal beings living amongst us or think it's just stories made up for our entertainment.

I believe in the Jinn, which are creatures made of fire and smoke who live on Earth with us and are invisible, (so its somewhat similar to the concept of ghosts) but only the Jinn are not dead people who have come back to life.

All opinions are welcome. I'm just curious to know what others make of possessions, black magic, aliens etc ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why do you believe in them, out of interest?

I believe in nothing supernatural (how boring)

ReputationRep:
    Now, I do not believe in the supernatural are other worldly. But to believe in the other worldly, you have to believe in the afterlife. On the subject of aliens, I do believe in aliens. Alien to belong from another nation, Country, planet, cellostrial body. You have to be dumb to deny aliens, whether that means it is referring to foreigners. But ghosts and that, I just don't believe, and that leads me to the massive bug-a-boo with the films paranormal activity. I just hate them type of films and the plot is too open.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, you'd have to be pretty selfish to say aliens do not exist in our whole universe. It's friggin' huge!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Why do you believe in them, out of interest?

I believe in nothing supernatural (how boring)
    Well it's mentioned in my religion, but having witnessed exorcisms and having read true accounts of incidents where Jinn have been used by humans, (e.g. to carry out black magic which usually results in possession of a body) tells me it's definitely real.

It makes sense because they are almost the complete opposite of us, so it's like we fill up the whole of Earth, practical hey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenAmora)
    What is your opinion on the other world, do you believe in paranormal beings living amongst us or think it's just stories made up for our entertainment.

I believe in the Jinn, which are creatures made of fire and smoke who live on Earth with us and are invisible, (so its somewhat similar to the concept of ghosts) but only the Jinn are not dead people who have come back to life.

All opinions are welcome. I'm just curious to know what others make of possessions, black magic, aliens etc ..

If they're invisible, how does one know that they are made of fire and smoke?

If they're made up of fire and smoke, how come they're invisible? (fire and smoke is clearly visible)

Well it's mentioned in my religion, but having witnessed exorcisms and having read true accounts of incidents where Jinn have been used by humans, (e.g. to carry out black magic which usually results in possession of a body) tells me it's definitely real.

It makes sense because they are almost the complete opposite of us, so it's like we fill up the whole of Earth, practical hey.
    Why does having witnessed an exorcism lead you to believe in a paranormal being, can the effects not be explained by simpler psychological phenomena?

Are you satisfied that a written account is enough to believe in the existence of a paranormal spirit thats pure existence would be likely to contradict much of our current scientific understanding?

I'm not claiming that these jinn do not exist, but I think it is difficult for you to claim that they definitely exist if you can't find reasonable answers these questions. Sometimes a little scepticism is healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, these are all terrible reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    Wow, these are all terrible reasons.
    No one's telling you to believe in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do people just not understand science and what is possible and what is impossible?

To say ghosts exist is ridiculous. They don't, and cannot. You die and that's it. Gone. Poof.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    Do people just not understand science and what is possible and what is impossible?

To say ghosts exist is ridiculous. They don't, and cannot. You die and that's it. Gone. Poof.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    We have yet to discover even a fraction of what is possible and impossible. It was once held that it was "impossible" to exceed the speed of light, but we now know this is probably not be the case.

Now I don't really believe in any paranormal phenomena per se, I'm somewhat agnostic towards the subject. I'm open to the posibility that elements of the paranormal could be proven true and be fully explained by the laws of physics.

No one's telling you to believe in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I said 'North Korea's a horrible place to live', you could retort: 'No one's telling you to live there', but it doesn't make it any less true does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    We have yet to discover even a fraction of what is possible and impossible. It was once held that it was "impossible" to exceed the speed of light, but we now know this is probably not be the case.
    As far as I am aware, the inability to exceed the speed of light is just as impossible as it ever was thought to be. Unless I've missed something in the news recently.

Now I don't really believe in any paranormal phenomena per se, I'm somewhat agnostic towards the subject. I'm open to the posibility that elements of the paranormal could be proven true and be fully explained by the laws of physics.
    I agree with this, though it depends on the subject. I reckon it may be possible that phenomena like telepathy may be explainable, though not through magic. I remember reading an article in new scientist detailing how lights shone into the eyes of one subject, activated similar areas in a subject in another room. Unfortunately, this was some time ago, and I've yet to find it again, although I don't think I imagined it.

The problem is most, if not all, paranormal phenomena are easily explainable by other means. Psychic powers fall apart when tested, ghosts and aliens are always subjectively different and explained by sleep paralysis and other hallucinations, and God can be explained by fundamental forces of nature.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If Djinn are made of fire and smoke, then how are they invisible?

I used to believe in demons, angels, prayer, black magic, etc., but I don't anymore. I believe in aliens (or at least in the likelihood of them), but I don't believe that they have visited earth. I don't think aliens should be classed as paranormal as if they exist then they will be a purely natural phenomenon.

ReputationRep:

But going the speed of light is something that could be achieved by building say a very fast rocket. I don't know the physics of that.

But paranormal phenomena imply that someones "soul" is released from the body and carries on living mostly invisible. Impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in Jinns too.

They are. Had few encounters.
    I'd rather not deny that they are.

Bet if we forgot the religion-affiliated appellation and simply called them 'aliens from a fourth dimension', many more persons would start believing too.

ReputationRep:
    But going the speed of light is something that could be achieved by building say a very fast rocket. I don't know the physics of that.

But paranormal phenomena imply that someones "soul" is released from the body and carries on living mostly invisible. Impossible.
    If, instead of "soul", we called that "energy"? In whichever undiscovered form it be.

Body can die. Energy never dies. We all need energy to be alive. Now, I've no idea what potential energy a dead body might hold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    If, instead of "soul", we called that "energy"? In whichever undiscovered form it be.

Body can die. Energy never dies. We all need energy to be alive. Now, I've no idea what potential energy a dead body might hold.
    But energy doesn't form a seemingly conscious being that floats around being sometimes invisible/visible in the shape of the person it would've come from.

However the energy is transferred to decomposers etc. If energy all ended up in ghosts, the energy cycle would deplete. Other animals would also have to have ghosts, so further reducing the energy moving round the cycle.

ReputationRep:
    But energy doesn't form a seemingly conscious being that floats around being sometimes invisible/visible in the shape of the person it would've come from.

However the energy is transferred to decomposers etc. If energy all ended up in ghosts, the energy cycle would deplete. Other animals would also have to have ghosts, so further reducing the energy moving round the cycle.
    You said it quite right, energy is stored on a celluar level, this contains proteins, nutrients and minerals the body doesn't need, however this energy goes on to as quite rightly said the decomposers. They take the energy and put it back into the environment. These "jinns" if exist would need a hell of a lot more energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    You said it quite right, energy is stored on a celluar level, this contains proteins, nutrients and minerals the body doesn't need, however this energy goes on to as quite rightly said the decomposers. They take the energy and put it back into the environment. These "jinns" if exist would need a hell of a lot more energy.
    Plus, even if they achieved this the "fire" they are made of would surely give off light/heat energy and eventually they would have none left.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people can believe in all this paranormal stuff. It just seems so... silly to me

Sure, kids believe in santa and monsters under the bed but haven't we grown up a bit by our age?

I suppose its inherent in your beliefs to automatically be baffled and confused by people who believe the complete opposite and assume they are being really stupid because well it's obvious isn't it?

I try to keep an open mind (ie respect other people beliefs) but it isn't half difficult. My wife is dubiously agnostic about 'paranormal' stuff and the one time we talked about it its been the worst argument we've ever had (not bad mind)...

But no. I don't believe in faeries, ghosts, 'energy' (whatever unmeasurable energy that may be). I don't believe humans are so superbly special that they have a magic new undiscovered element/phenomena of physics solely orientated about them (setting an arbitrary value of 'life' or 'intelligence' or 'conciousness' in the universe) to carry on the interactions of the cells in their brain after those cells have stopped working.

I believe that to be whimsical nonsense and the primary reason people do believe it because you really don't want to die when you die (or really don't want your mum/dad/brother/friend/OH to not exist anymore) which saddens me.

I do venomously hate the industry surrounding it (contacting the dead physics etc), as I view them as taking advantage of vulnerable people who have just lost someone they love. I dislike similar things in religion: I once got asked 'if i was interested in learning about christ' in the street - fine - when I said no they asked if I knew anyone who had 'lost someone recently, as they might be interested' etc. I thought it was pretty disgusting but at least they aren't doing it for profit (more likely they are actually trying to help people by teaching them about Christ)

/rant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.