Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey!

So I've known for a while now that I'm gay. This isn't a how-do-I-stop-these-feelings thread - I may be closeted but I'm not misinformed. I know that this isn't a choice and there's really nothing I can do about it. I am who I am.

But I have no interest in living like this. Women don't attract me, sexually, anymore. I have been involved with women in the past, but it's never felt 'right' and after a lot of soul searching and a relationship gone sour with my ex, I now know that I was the one with the issues all along.

However, I have no interest in coming out of the closet, at least not at the moment or in the forseeable future. I have a whole host of reasons for this, primarily familial and cultural, that I'd rather not try to disentangle or fight.

I'm still in uni, but I have a job lined up that doesn't start until 2015. I'm trying to find constant work to always keep me occupied 24/7 and projects and educational and social excursions. I go to the gym 5 times a week now and watch more TV than ever before. Basically, I'm afraid to take it slow for too long because I'm afraid that the reality of how much I've cut myself off from my close friends and family will come crashing down on me and I'll have some kind of breakdown, which I would rather avoid as well.

My question is this: What can I do to enable myself to live alone and be happy with that? What are the best ways to keep myself occupied indefinitely until the Fall of 2015?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My question is this: What can I do to enable myself to live alone and be happy with that? What are the best ways to keep myself occupied indefinitely until the Fall of 2015?
    I'm sure you can appreciate it's a pointless question that will breed useless answers (apart from mine of course) because the best way to keep occupied is different for everyone. Whether it's exercising, reading, watching TV, joining societies, working (paid/volunteered), developing a new skills (e.g. playing a new instrument or learning a new language) or just sleeping and eating. It varies greatly.

My advice is to become a yes man - in terms of any opportunity to get out of your room/house, and just take up something new, and don't procrastinate things you have to do (i.e. assignments) if you really want to occupy all that free time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.