Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of applying for student finance. However, I am not sure what to put for my bank details. Should I write down the details for my normal bank account I have at the moment, or should I open a student bank account first? Also, what documents do I actually need to open a student bank account? Is the UCAS letter saying I have a conditional offer enough, or do I need to wait until I get my results?

Also, which student bank account would you say is currently the best?

ReputationRep:
    Put your normal bank account down for now. You can change the details of your bank online, of which you want student finance to deposit the loan into, later on

The documents depend on who you open your account with, but documents usually include: proof of identity, proof of address and proof of student status (I used a driving license, passport and my student ID). I don't think a UCAS offer letter will work; you'll need a UCAS acceptance letter (i.e. the congratulatory letter after you get your results, when you get accepted into uni).

I can't really offer any advice on choosing a student account; but mine's just standard; nothing special (RBS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    Put your normal bank account down for now. You can change the details of your bank online, of which you want student finance to deposit the loan into, later on

The documents depend on who you open your account with, but documents usually include: proof of identity, proof of address and proof of student status (I used a driving license, passport and my student ID). I don't think a UCAS offer letter will work; you'll need a UCAS acceptance letter (i.e. the congratulatory letter after you get your results, when you get accepted into uni).

I can't really offer any advice on choosing a student account; but mine's just standard; nothing special (RBS).
    Thanks. So do I need to wait until I get my results to open a student bank account, or is there another way that would allow me to open one now?

ReputationRep:
    I had a current account with Natwest when I applied for student finance so gave them those bank details. I took my ucas letter saying I had been accepted into the bank and they just upgraded it to a student account. I didn't have to change any bank details with student finance because my account number and sort code remained the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    I had a current account with Natwest when I applied for student finance so gave them those bank details. I took my ucas letter saying I had been accepted into the bank and they just upgraded it to a student account. I didn't have to change any bank details with student finance because my account number and sort code remained the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that the letter after you get your results?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure which to put either but I went to look at accounts and the two I looked at (HSBC and Natwest) said to wait until May because that's when they start doing all the deals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should just put down your normal bank account info now, then change it later. Student finance takes forever to sort out anyway.

You can open a student account once you've accepted the place and you have the results. You will need the letter from UCAS saying you have been accepted, and 2 forms of ID (passport, driver's licence etc.).

I'd recommend the Natwest one if they still offer the railcard, that will save you so much money on train journeys home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    Also, which student bank account would you say is currently the best?
    http://www.studentbankaccounts.co.uk/ has the best student accounts for the current year however most banks won't announce the features of 2013/14 accounts for students until mid-summer. I'm with Halifax who have been good to me with the interest free overdraft

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.